Author Topic: Intermediate SUP surf spot on Oahu?  (Read 3640 times)

Gene

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Intermediate SUP surf spot on Oahu?
« on: December 25, 2022, 01:10:09 PM »
Hi - We have an Oahu family vacation scheduled for end of Feb. early March next year.  Blue Planet seems to have stopped renting SUP boards or providing lessons.  If anyone has suggestions for intermediate SUP surfboard rentals, lessons  or intermediate surf spot options, I'd sure appreciate hearing about them.  So would the rest of my family.  Waikiki or North Shore or wherever would be fine.

Thanks - Gene

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Intermediate SUP surf spot on Oahu?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2022, 01:58:19 PM »
Gene,

Give us so info so we don't get you beat up or drowned.

How long you been surfing? How long you been SUP surfing? Where do you normally sup surf? What kinds of waves (and size) are you comfortable with?

North Shore til April (at least) can be dicey without local knowledge imho.

Hard to beat renting a longboard in Waikiki and just proning in the best place to learn on earth.

Gene

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2022, 03:13:46 PM »
I very much appreciate your questions.  I surfed a lot as a kid.  Started surfing again at age 50.  Switched to SUP at age 60.  I'm definitely not interested in conflict so I tend to stay out of the line up and pickup whatever waves no one else is paddling for.  I live in Santa Cruz and am totally happy catching a few small waves at whatever break is SUP friendly and reasonably uncrowded.  Privates is my usual spot but I work in Moss Landing and catch a few waves when just my pals are out. I started SUP surfing in Waikiki and was completely happy catching waist high Waikiki rollers. We're staying on the North Shore but I'd be totally happy driving into town and doing that again. I got 2 new hips a year ago and am just getting back in the water. I can catch waves but a lesson or 2 would be great.

Thanks for the help.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2022, 06:58:34 PM »
There are a couple of spots on the east end of Haleiwa bay that are friendly to intermediate SUP surfers. When the surf is small you can go about anywhere. The guy to ask is Sam Pae, who is no longer on the zone, but you can connect to him on Facebook. Or ask Robert Stelick who owns Blue Planet. Robert is super friendly and dialed in everywhere in Oahu. I've never had a problem on Oahu, though I've heard plenty of horror stories (true for Maui too). I've SUP-surfed every break along the south shore, including Makaha which is actually considered the west side and is supposed to be the most local spot other than pipe. I've also surfed Sunset, backdoor, and whatever the breaks are near the Turtle bay resort. I'd say the stories are overblown and people are nice as long as you are respectful, but I wouldn't like to see you sporting a black eye on my recommendation. The turtle bay spots are not very local at all, in fact, the biggest hazard is people getting pushed into waves on rental boards.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2022, 07:00:45 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SurfKiteSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2022, 10:53:32 AM »
I've only been to the North Shore a few times but I would say Pua'ena Pt (just east of Haleiwa like Pono Bill said) would be a good beginner/intermediate spot.  They do surf lessons on the inside and you can always go out further for heavier surf if there is swell.  After that maybe Laniakea or Chun's on smaller days would probably also work depending on your comfort level.

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2022, 01:59:59 PM »
I visited Oahu twice last year a week in October and December.  The problem I had was finding SUPs for rent and the ones I found were in real poor condition.  In October I gave up renting a sup and rented a long board from Moku surf shop.  The staff were friendly and they open at 6am, rentals are super cheap.  In December I had enough of the crowds at Queens and Canoes so I rented a sup all week from Moku and paddled way out to Pops which had no crowd.  The sup was beat up but I made the most of it.  I couldn’t find anywhere to rent a sup on the north shore.
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2022, 06:01:03 PM »
I visited Oahu twice last year a week in October and December.  The problem I had was finding SUPs for rent and the ones I found were in real poor condition.  In October I gave up renting a sup and rented a long board from Moku surf shop.  The staff were friendly and they open at 6am, rentals are super cheap.  In December I had enough of the crowds at Queens and Canoes so I rented a sup all week from Moku and paddled way out to Pops which had no crowd.  The sup was beat up but I made the most of it.  I couldn’t find anywhere to rent a sup on the north shore.

Did you try Blue Planet??? Oops, I reread the original post and see that Blue Planet has stopped renting SUPs. I'd call Robert anyway and see if he has something stashed.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2022, 06:02:46 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2022, 06:06:10 PM »
Actually, I did and he said they do not rent Sups for surfing anymore.  I think he has a shop near a river or calm body of water and I believe they rent sups but not for the ocean.

Did you try Blue Planet??? Oops, I reread the original post and see that Blue Planet has stopped renting SUPs. I'd call Robert anyway and see if he has something stashed.
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2022, 07:48:48 PM »
Ok, you're older and have surfed. The ideas here are right on as far as North. Watch the report closely, swell comes up quickly in HI, but those spots are solid options and most folks will takemit easy on an Uncle. ;)

If you find a board, east side can be a good safe haven if it's big.

Gene

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2022, 11:17:58 PM »
Super helpful.  Thanks to all.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2022, 05:31:39 PM »
I am a huge fan of Pops/Populars off Waikiki.  Far enough out so as not to be too crowded, and bigger waves than the rollers at the other Waikiki breaks. When its going I think it qualifies as an intermediate...   And its Waikiki (!) so you can paddle to all the others.   As for a board, you could do a "SUP" or "Paddle Board" search for under $250, and you might find a decently shaped surf sup for the price of a week's rental. OR take yours with you and suffer the momentary griping of the family as you schlep it through the airports. Its worth it : )       
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal