Author Topic: Print to Ride  (Read 21071 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Print to Ride
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2023, 10:55:32 AM »
You must have run through a ton of filament to come up with that. Rafts have only been available in the newest release of the Bambu slicer. I looked for them with my original Kickstarter printer and they weren't there, even though the slicer is based on a lot of Prusa Slicer code and apparently a splash of Cura. Apparently, they added it back in release 1.4.0.18.

I knew there was some kind of malevolent being in Fusion 360 that's been fucking with me, but I didn't realize it was AI. Figures. Selection of joined bodies seems to be completely random in how many elements are selected. Yeah, hiding stuff is my friend. I tried to make some holes by shoving a set of spaced cylinders through the wingroot but when I did Combine to make the cut I could select the wingroot but not the cylinders. Gaaah. I tried making the holes by extruding circles through the wingroot, which usually cuts nicely--I've done it a hundred times--and it didn't include cut in the selection, just join. I finally had to use the hole tool, which is always a bit bitchy to locate exactly where you want. I had to draw centerpoint circles, locate the hole on the centerpoint, and then do the cut. Yeah, the AI is saving me a lot of time.

Mr. Bambu has been printing perfectly--until last night when my print decided to detach from the plate about halfway through. Since then the printing has been progressively more gooky (technical term) so I pulled the extruder apart and cleaned the nozzle. I knocked a plug out that looked like CF minus the PA. I assumed the CF stands were microscopically short. They aren't. They look to be about 1/32" long, which is fairly long for something with a diameter about half that of human hair. I think it's OK now, the raft looks OK. The first layer was a bit skanky but the second looks better.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 11:01:55 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2023, 02:01:37 PM »
I was running blissfully for a ton of prints until yesterday when a long print started air printing right at the end.  Shit.  Took apart everything but the extruder, cleaned it out using that hot allen key trick and then the needle, got it running again for short print and then another air print today.  Shit.  I think the nozzle is just done.  I ordered three hotends complete so I can just plug and go.  That cleaning process is not worth 30 bucks.  Which nozzle size are you using?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2023, 05:13:30 PM »
Check the extruder drive wheels as well. You need to print the tool to take the big red gear off the extruder body: https://wiki.bambulab.com/x1/troubleshooting/extruder-clog/gear_removal_tool.stl

Even just a little gook around the drive wheels can cause slipping. Here's how to clean it up: https://wiki.bambulab.com/en/x1/troubleshooting/extruder-clog

I'm using .4 but I just ordered a .6. I hear that's better for filament with anything added.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2023, 01:16:47 AM »
I'm using .4 but I just ordered a .6. I hear that's better for filament with anything added.

Pretty sure this is my issue.  I have been breaking all the rules.  .4 nozzle, full speed, lots of infill, long prints, always less than the suggested layers of .20, etc.

Works great until it doesn't.   

I am going to need a print farm and some interns.  Welcome to your summer position at Gorge Foil Works.  Your code name is Thermal Paste.  Lets begin training by hand sanding these 17 foils and please keep an ear open for printer yelps. 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 01:20:52 AM by Admin »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2023, 09:23:32 AM »
Disassembled the extruder but that was all looking good.  I ordered three extruders so I have them on hand.  This rebuilding will get old fast.  I hate being dead in the water :).

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2023, 10:00:21 AM »
Well, we've got a start on the farm, between us we have three Bambu printers, two with AMS. I'll probably add AMS to my original one. And I have three Creality Ender3s with various levels of modification and sophistication, one Prusa, one semi-no-name printer that's a bit obsolete, made by a manufacturer that left the biz, and one SLA resin printer--a Form One. All of these things can be set up to run remotely in various unmanageable ways, The three Bambus are easy, each printer can be run with the cloud printer interface--they don't have to be just on the local network. The Prusa has various remote options, and I have a primitive AMS for it that I more or less abandoned but could give another shot at. I plan to bring the Bambu back to HR when I leave Moldy Balls. I might bring the Prusa and AMS as well.

Incidentally, Adafuit has a useful and short article on scaling and calibrating printers: https://us10.campaign-archive.com/?e=8dce67b92e&u=86903b65c84293425f40fa9a5&id=637000bee2

I have a geek crush on Limor Fried, who founded Adafruit. She's a wizard, and her company is a huge source of DIY tech and information.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2023, 10:10:33 AM »
Oh, and I tried your trick with the raft and using PA-CF for support. We must have different ideas about "easily removable". I spent half an hour with a knife getting the support off. And I can tell you that printing larger things with a raft and PA-CF support will temporarily warp the build plate and lift it off the magnets. I watched my print bounce up and down last night--not pretty.

On the plus side I did a PLA test print of the refined fuselage. Success, and it looks right as far as mast vs. wing position. Is this pretty or what? Note that I can easily add a fourth carbon rod hole and still miss the mast. The mast/shroud interface is a shade loose with PLA, but might be better with PA-CF. I did 50% infill since it's just a prototype to refine, but it's crazy strong.

I need to add a fillet to the wing root/shroud interface. It should be easy since I've combined the bodies but the Fusion 360 demon doesn't believe that the interface line should be selectable to fillet.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 10:15:02 AM by PonoBill »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2023, 11:47:09 AM »
Through sheer dumb persistence, I managed to wrestle the demon into a draw and add a few fillets. Not exactly as I wanted them, but close.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2023, 02:01:56 PM »
This is where I am.  The system aspect of it is mostly together now, I see how it should work and a number of options of how I can build it.  My nozzle is ruined, so I am waiting on printer parts.  The image shows  my Axis well (Ok, 7/8 of it because the printer cut out), it is an awesome fit with no gaps.  Also a cut carbon tube with the updated notching tools on the ends.  Those work great.  Also pictured is the sliver of my front wing which printed (again before cutting out).  It has 30% infill although I will likely do the center 4 inches as solid.  I am shocked how stiff this sliver is.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 02:12:11 PM by Admin »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: January 21, 2023, 12:35:37 AM »
Hi Bill,

Just saw this video.  This could be used to add solid ribs or sections from inside Studio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl_FD7LBOQM

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #100 on: January 22, 2023, 10:31:37 AM »
Here is the print from Yesterday.  Very stoked with everything except that I cannot finish a long print without the printer cutting out.  Brand new nozzle and extruder.  I think a .6 nozzle is going to be the next step.  This is also a solid part so I may reduce it a bit and see if that gets it done.  It is overkill as is, so a bit of reduction is in order anyways.  The bars/hole are printed 15 mm bars.  two steps forward...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 01:40:16 PM by Admin »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 22, 2023, 11:52:59 PM »
I have officially mastered both lofting and printer calibration--at least at the Moldy Balls level. I'm enthusiastic as hell about my newfound knowledge though I'm sure I'm going to start breaking shit in every direction.

In other news, the surf is fucking huge. I think most of the serious big-wave dudes are at the Eddie, but Peahi is breaking at record heights. When the surf is making it over the island at the tip of our bay it means Peahi is breaking. I've never seen it like this before--It looks and sounds like nuclear explosions on the west end. That's a little over a mile from my patio. The rocks are rolling around on the beach below the house. It's like a bowling alley without skanky shoes.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 11:55:31 PM by PonoBill »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: January 24, 2023, 01:45:44 AM »
I have officially mastered both lofting and printer calibration--at least at the Moldy Balls level. I'm enthusiastic as hell about my newfound knowledge though I'm sure I'm going to start breaking shit in every direction.

In other news, the surf is fucking huge. I think most of the serious big-wave dudes are at the Eddie, but Peahi is breaking at record heights. When the surf is making it over the island at the tip of our bay it means Peahi is breaking. I've never seen it like this before--It looks and sounds like nuclear explosions on the west end. That's a little over a mile from my patio. The rocks are rolling around on the beach below the house. It's like a bowling alley without skanky shoes.

Master of the loft.  I am picturing drum circle Babcock with an old school bong, surrounded by vaping hiplets, erupting in plausibly Lakota outbursts for full affect.   
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 12:50:19 PM by Admin »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 24, 2023, 10:03:08 AM »
Old School Bong--could be a good name for a rock group of geezers. I had one about 3' X 6" made from a section of bamboo I cut down on a golf course in Long Beach. I punched out the center web and made a pipe bowl in pottery class (see, pottery class is good for something). Best bong ever.

Anyway, here's the latest fuselage section done in PC (polycarbonate). I forgot to have the printer iron the top. This would all be easier for someone who never forgets where he left his pants. PA-CF is intrinsically prettier. Still needs a little refinement. Yesterday was a "two steps back" day because the tool I made for cutting the mast hole decided not to work. I'd done a few tweaks to the sketch dimensions, expecting to need to extrude it into a mast and bolt-hole cutters but it looked like it was already done as soon as I clicked "extrude". I think it was just a buffer ghost, so the cutter worked randomly. Took me forever to work out the issue.

On the positive side, I am the master of loft and rails, a title I plan to add to my formal name:
William Babcock Jr. MaLR BFD LMnoQ

« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 10:07:54 AM by PonoBill »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 24, 2023, 12:21:46 PM »
Mast and bolt hole cutter, along with a smoosher tool to take the sharp edge off the mast hole without lopping off the mast inner plug. And the modified and smooshed wing root with fillets and geegaws

« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 12:33:09 PM by PonoBill »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal