Author Topic: 4/3 Wetsuit - 2023?  (Read 7171 times)

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
4/3 Wetsuit - 2023?
« on: December 23, 2022, 07:43:17 AM »
I busted out my 4/3 for the first time yesterday, Rip Curl Flashbomb No Zip, loved the suit. Got out today......full of leaks. It seems like it's always around my knees and inner legs where the knee patches are, and then with the no zip - a bit around the chest as that part loses it's tension after awhile.

Any suggestions on a new suit?

I'm looking at O'Neill Blueprint or Psychotech, Patagonia R3 (mainly because of the lifetime warranty) Manera, and Mystic. I'm not worried about the cost as long as it lasts more than a season and a half. I'm mostly SUP foiling, kiteboarding, winging eventually. Figure that I'm spending quite a bit of time going from my butt to my knees/feet, because I'm on a 5'2 foilboard, so........there's a lot of up and down.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 4/3 Wetsuit - 2023?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2022, 09:47:04 AM »
I recommend checking out Need Essentials, I am really impressed with their suits.
https://www.needessentialsusa.com/
I am a convert for limestone neoprene.  They feel warmer and lighter.
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2022, 11:50:38 AM »
I have been buying Hyperflex for the last 10 years.

They tend to be cheaper but last just as long as $400 suites (did).  This way you can just buy them more often.  There is nothing as warm as a new suit, leaks kill the mojo.

Here is medium for $183.  All other sizes are $224.

PS: I no longer hand my suites from the shoulders.  They tend to get holes up top and stretch the fabic making it porous.  I have been hanging over hangers with the legs.  The thicker material at the thigh has shown NO sign of wear.  I have used the 2/3 that I recently bought for 80 sessions and it has almost NO signs of wear. 

PSS: I have been using the 2/3 despite the 50 degree winter water here in Half Moon Bay.  I typically layer when cold with ) A fleece Lined rash guard 2) A 1.5 mm full sleeve dive shirt 3) a pair of 1.5 mm dive shorts.  Then the 2/3.   Cheating maybe but I get away with a lighter, cheaper suit and go through them quickly

https://www.amazon.com/3mm-Mens-HyperFlex-VYRL-Fullsuit/dp/B0733QKXCP/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=hyperflex%2B4%2F3&qid=1671824228&sr=8-3&th=1&psc=1
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 11:52:52 AM by Beasho »

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2022, 02:46:41 PM »
I have been buying Hyperflex for the last 10 years.

They tend to be cheaper but last just as long as $400 suites (did).  This way you can just buy them more often.  There is nothing as warm as a new suit, leaks kill the mojo.

Here is medium for $183.  All other sizes are $224.

PS: I no longer hand my suites from the shoulders.  They tend to get holes up top and stretch the fabic making it porous.  I have been hanging over hangers with the legs.  The thicker material at the thigh has shown NO sign of wear.  I have used the 2/3 that I recently bought for 80 sessions and it has almost NO signs of wear. 

PSS: I have been using the 2/3 despite the 50 degree winter water here in Half Moon Bay.  I typically layer when cold with ) A fleece Lined rash guard 2) A 1.5 mm full sleeve dive shirt 3) a pair of 1.5 mm dive shorts.  Then the 2/3.   Cheating maybe but I get away with a lighter, cheaper suit and go through them quickly

https://www.amazon.com/3mm-Mens-HyperFlex-VYRL-Fullsuit/dp/B0733QKXCP/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=hyperflex%2B4%2F3&qid=1671824228&sr=8-3&th=1&psc=1

Yeah, good point on the hangars, but I have a fan hangar that I use if I know I'm going back to back days. It's a nice little thing to have, no more wet wetsuits the morning after a sunset session. I used HyperFlex for awhile, fine for kiting, I found them pretty stiff for everything else.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2022, 04:48:27 PM »
I have a 4/3 need essentials too. Nice neoprene but like all 4/3's a bit stiff. Warm as all get out.

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2022, 07:18:48 PM »
I am a cold water SUP surfer. I am happy with my Psychotech hooded 5.5/4 suits but this year got a Hyperfreak 4/3 + hooded suit that has taken me into the winter. I really like this suit, light, warm, flexible and dries quickly. We shall see if it is durable. The back rubber panel of the Psychotech suit was abraded by my waist leash. Not an issue with the hyperfreak and the hyperfreak was about half the cost of the psychotech.

Bob   
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

StellaBlu

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2022, 08:14:27 PM »
It’s all about what fits you. A well sized mid tier wetsuit will be better than a poorly sized top tier wetsuit.

I swear by O’Neill because the sizing is perfect for me. If the sizing works for you then I recommend both the Psycho and Mutant Legend.  The psycho has amazing flexibility and feels super light on me. The Mutant Legend is much warmer and more durable and the hood feature makes it extremely versatile (but slightly less flexible).

Need Essentials is pretty impressive for the money but not as good as O’Neill quality.

Budget - Need
Warmth - mutant legend
Flexibility - psycho

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2023, 02:44:53 AM »
Go with Patagonia. Natural rubber has more stretch/less stiffness than neoprene made from oil and it's better for the planet. I love my R5 winter suit. I use it four months out of the year. This is my third winter with it and no sign of wear.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2023, 09:28:02 AM »
Ask five people about which wetsuit to buy and you get 11 answers. Like Beasho, I'm a layer guy. A fleece under a 3/2 beats the shit out of 4/3 that takes me half an hour to get into. I have big problems with flexibility--not the suit: Me. I have an O'neil chest zipper Hyperfreak that's great once I get it on, but taking it off sometimes makes me think about getting out the scissors.

I tried the Patagonia Yulex R2 natural rubber suit. Couldn't get it on. I even tried just the front zip jacket and had some problems, but I bought it anyway. The construction is beautiful, and the fit is nice, but I haven't had a good reason to use it, and I gained ten pounds-apparently all in my gut. I have a little issue zipping up my impact vest. I think the jacket might be a challenge now. Maybe if I lubed myself up first I could get the suit on, but I flopped around in the dressing room at REI for half an hour and gave up on the suit before I had a coronary. Maybe it's great for skinnier people that can bend a bit, but for a fat dude with the flexibility of a mannequin, it's a no.

I briefly considered seeing if they had something really thin with wool lining, but I had one of their suits long ago with full wool lining and I roasted in it. Even on the Oregon coast in winter. Apparently, they just use the wool in particular areas now--that's a much better idea. With my old suit by the time I got to the water, I thought my head was going to explode. The first thing I did was jump in and pull the neck open. Forty-degree water hits 98-degree skin. Counterproductive.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 09:53:25 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SurfKiteSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2023, 05:53:02 PM »
A similar approach to Beasho and PonoBill - I wear a 2mm hooded vest with a fuzzy lining under any mid-range 3/2 that fits decent.  The 3/2 usually gets me down to 58 degree water.  If it's a cold 45 degree offshore morning or the water temps drop to the mid-50's then adding the hooded vest keeps me warm and maintains the flexibility.

The hands are what weak link for me when it's that chilly and the wind is blowing.  I sometimes wear O'Neill 1.5mm gloves but it only delays the pain.  Once the sun comes up, they help warm up the hands though.

SurfKiteSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2023, 07:00:44 PM »
A similar approach to Beasho and PonoBill - I wear a 2mm hooded vest with a fuzzy lining under any mid-range 3/2 that fits decent.  The 3/2 usually gets me down to 58 degree water.  If it's a cold 45 degree offshore morning or the water temps drop to the mid-50's then adding the hooded vest keeps me warm and maintains the flexibility.

The hands are what weak link for me when it's that chilly and the wind is blowing.  I sometimes wear O'Neill 1.5mm gloves but it only delays the pain.  Once the sun comes up, they help warm up the hands though.

I used to wear a 2/2 instead of the 3/2 but they are hard to find as a full suit.  Usually, I see them as farmer johns.  Xterra (the triathlon brand) used to make a 2/2 and they were frequently on sale for $99.  They were as good as most mid-range 3/2's but only lasted about a season and a half before they started leaking like a sieve.  I believe their surf side of the business is mostly defunct now though.  I see Need Essentials sells 2/2's but they were out of stock the last time I bought a wetsuit.

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2023, 04:32:15 AM »
I may go with Patagonia next time, but I grabbed a O'Neill Hyperfreak 4/3+, it just felt the best far as flexibility and I've been plenty warm in 52 degree water the last 3 days. Thanks for all of the suggestions.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2023, 04:22:40 PM »
I may go with Patagonia next time, but I grabbed a O'Neill Hyperfreak 4/3+, it just felt the best far as flexibility and I've been plenty warm in 52 degree water the last 3 days. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

True, once I get it on the Hyperfreak feels like a 3/2 as far as flexibility goes. It's just getting it on and off that makes me nuts.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

spindrift

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2023, 12:27:56 PM »
I'm not a big guy. 5'8" 160. I like Patagonia and their attempt to be green. That said, their wetsuits run small and seem to be made for spider monkeys.
Life Rewards Movement

JBMaine

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2023, 09:27:07 AM »
My 4/3 died last spring. I replaced it with a 4/3 from Vissla, a brand I had never tried. I got it at REI. I really like the fit, the lightness, and the suppleness. It was a big upgrade from the Bodyglove 4/3 that died after 3 years. I can’t report on durability as I have only used it late spring and then fall. As of now I would buy a Vissla again. My winter suit is Patagonia. My early summer 3/2 is a Bodyglove that somehow is still good after 7 years.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal