Author Topic: Anybody into SUP Racing? Downwind/Flat?  (Read 4187 times)

Turtle

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Laineet.fi - Keeps you One Wave Ahead
Anybody into SUP Racing? Downwind/Flat?
« on: December 20, 2022, 02:30:26 AM »
Has Winging and foiling taken over? Is there people doing flat water or downwind racing?
Did you guys watch the ICF and ISA world championships? Any thoughts?

https://laineet.fi/2022/11/18/thailand-is-the-host-of-2023-icf-sup-world-championships/
Starboard National Team Rider
2023 14'x23" Allstar Custom Carbon
Starboard Lima M
Starboard Bolt L
Quickblade Trifecta 98
http://laineet.fi/

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody into SUP Racing? Downwind/Flat?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2022, 01:22:38 PM »
Hey I saw your other post on Finland's Independence Day Paddle. Very cool. Literally, right? I was just up at your latitude and wondered what the winter time paddling scene was like in the Nordic countries. 

As for sup racing and the foil surge, I can just report that the race event schedule in Seattle has dropped dramatically. BUT I was at a Christmas party a couple of days ago, talking with two guys, one an avid winger and the other an avid windsurfer, and they both went out of their way to say how they still love to SUP, flat and surf. So SUP survives in the hearts and minds...   
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2022, 11:34:17 PM »
I'll probably still do a downwind race or two. there aren't many, and the BOP is long gone. That was one hell of a great event.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supthecreek

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2022, 10:32:11 PM »
I an a surfer... every day since 1964 and nothing will ever change that...
SUP is what I have sured since 2011 and it is still as awesome as ever!

Foiling is interesting, but I have no driving desire to add that

I simply love SUP Surf and flat-water paddling.
I was never really into racing, but I love the race community.
It doesn't matter to me if it not as popular at the moment... I just freaking love solitude of a paddle in some interesting estuary or creek.

And I get great joy in passing along my passion to new SUPsters  :)

WaveWashed Hatteras

• Waikiki Status
  • Perspective, use it or lose it
    • View Profile
    • My Wife's Gallery- Ocean / Beach Art
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2022, 11:43:50 AM »
I've been windsurfing for the past 40 years, can't give up a good side off wave session, living on the  Hatteras Island I can ride Port or Starboard on a wave.  Started SUPing about 10 years ago, began with an inflatable on the lakes in the Northern VA area where I currently live, but was soon SUP surfing during no wind days when back on Hatteras Island.  4 years ago I got into Foil Windsurfing and then WindsurfWaveFoiling (WWF).   In the Annapolis, MD to Cape Hatteras area there are still a number of SUP races each year and I regularly compete in at least 3  year since my first event not soon after I started.    Chesapeake Bay Bridge Challenge is a 300+ competitor event, EYC/EOM Annapolis is about 100 competitors,  Hatteras Island Cancer Foundation Paddle Palooza is about 40.   All these events were bigger about 5 years ago, and it seems like a reunion each year as familiar faces keep returning.  There are still events on the James, Virginia Beach/Hamptons Roads area, Wilmington, Dewey Beach area, etc.    My best year I entered about 7 events, now just the three closest to me.

I still work a full time job, so time at my Hatteras home is limited to only 8 to 12 twelve weeks a year (thanks Covid for normalizing Remote work, just wish I could do it more).   I find it best to keep doing the best activity for the conditions instead of abandoning one sport to pursue another.   It keeps my shed so packed with boards, sails, gear that I can barely move around, but if it's blowing 30+ nothing beats a slalom board and 5.0 doing 3 mile long reaches at 25mph, jumping every piece of chop, the same as if it's sunny and offshore with a a 3 foot swell, might be a morning high tide 3 mile paddle up to the pier and back until the afternoon when lazy thigh to waist high peelers show up, or a perfect wavesailing or foil session.
SUP racing means couch surfing at friends homes, getting up early for an 8 or 9am start and off the water an hour or so later depending on distance. It's the best excuse in the world for a frothy draft beer at 11am, before lunch followed by awards, followed by a band playing until dinner.   I'm not ready to any of it up yet.   Maybe when I retire I'll quit windsurfing, SUP racing, wavesailing, and WWF and just focus on one sport.  Haha.
Sunova Speeed 9'5"
Sunova Kanga 10'
Exocet 12'6" Downwind
C4 XXL iSup (pinhole leak at seam)
Black Project Pure Paddle
Flying Fish Carbon Paddle

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2023, 08:47:15 AM »
I am heading to the Carolina Cup on Wrighstville Beach again this year.  I mostly flatwater paddle.  My racing days are probably behind me now, but I still try to paddle hard and watch my times.  I really just enjoy the zen experience of being in nature, on the water, and getting a full body and cardio workout.  I  enjoy watching the races and pulling for my favorite paddlers.     
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2023, 04:22:12 PM »
SUP racing was already in a bit of decline well before wing foiling took off. I think like all other sports that go through an explosive growth period, things cooled off after a few years. In my area, SUP is very much alive and well as far as a way for people to tool around in the water. Surfing and racing have dropped off significantly but still common. Definitely not gone the way of rollerblading, tho that seems to be making a comeback.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
April 24, 2024, 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill