Author Topic: Rail wear options  (Read 3120 times)

sup-punta-mita

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Rail wear options
« on: December 18, 2022, 03:53:53 PM »
I am getting some wear on my rails from the paddle.  I have been looking into various options. I did some searching and found rail tapes like RSPro and "paddle guard" products.

Seems like the paddle guard type products go around the outer edge of the actual paddle blade. That is not what is causing the wear I am getting. My rail wear is coming from the socket where the shaft attaches to the paddle. There is a slight ridge on the socket and I am pretty sure it is the ridge that is causing the wear. I plan to sand that ridge smooth but I was wondering if anyone makes something like a Teflon sleeve to go over the socket. I could design my own but am open to buying an existing product.

The RSPro tape seems popular but $55 for 12 feet of tape seems like a lot. The specs say it is PVC tape. Anyone try generic PVC tape from an industrial supply?
SUPS Stoke 9'6" wide
Surftech Caddie 10'2"
Infinity Carver 9'6"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Rail wear options
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2022, 04:34:13 PM »
RSPro is anything but Generic and absolutely worth the money. I've been using it and recommending it for years. It's so durable and effective that you can peel it off a board when you sell or trash it and put it on a new board. I have one set that has been on three different boards. That's impossible with most tapes since they don't cushion serious hits enough to keep the gelcoat or paint from cracking and sticking to the tape when you peel it off, and the adhesive would never allow that strange re-sticking ability anyway. I have no idea what magic juice RSPro uses, but it will always stick back down. Even if you get your fingerprints on a section and it won't adhere at first you just tape it down with masking tape and let it sit a while. The adhesive will somehow stick down in a day or two.

I'm such a fanboy that people assume I'm getting it for free or something. Not true, I pay full retail, gladly. I've tried all the other options--including other purpose-made rail tapes. There's no comparison.

Paddle guards are a terrible idea, you compromise the paddle to avoid damage that you can easily avoid with good rail tape. RSPro used to make a paddle guard product, they might still. I don't recommend that.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2022, 04:41:54 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

sup-punta-mita

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2022, 07:44:46 AM »
great info. Thanks. The RSPro is speced at 380mirons which is 15mil thick. That is more of a sheet material than tape. I will probably end up getting it. I have two boards on Punta Mita now, one brand new Starboard and my Stoke XL. I want to protect both of them.
SUPS Stoke 9'6" wide
Surftech Caddie 10'2"
Infinity Carver 9'6"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2022, 07:56:36 AM »
It's also textured with little prismatic "balloons" to cushion impact. The guy who developed it was a designer for Piaggio, who worked on their motorcycle graphics. He used his contacts at a specialized automotive graphics company to make it. It's not just tape. In the US, NSI is the distributor. NSI is a brilliant little company in Hood River that either make everything themselves or carry the best of the best watersports products. Having NSI as their distributor is a huge endorsement, that alone would induce me to try it if I wasn't already a fan of the product.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2022, 11:48:24 AM »
What Bill said, x2.
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2022, 07:55:10 PM »
I've got four standup paddleboards and everyone of them has RSPro rail tape on them. I recommend it.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

ospreysup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2022, 09:27:49 AM »
I have used both RSPro and North Shore Inc rail tape. RSpro is a slightly better product but I tend to use the NSI brand. It is half the price on Amazon and I find it easier to work with when applying. RSpro probably protects better but with that said I have used NSI without a problem on multiple boards and is on all three boards I currently own. I think they are based out of Hood River.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2022, 10:48:49 AM »
I tried several brands of rail tape over the years, and now buy nothing but RSPro. It's well worth any additional cost.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2022, 08:04:09 PM »
I have used both RSPro and North Shore Inc rail tape. RSpro is a slightly better product but I tend to use the NSI brand. It is half the price on Amazon and I find it easier to work with when applying. RSpro probably protects better but with that said I have used NSI without a problem on multiple boards and is on all three boards I currently own. I think they are based out of Hood River.

NSI is indeed in Hood River, within walking distance of my house. As I said above, they make their own stuff or sell the best of the best. NSI used to sell a pretty good rail tape but they switched over to RSPro, they are the US distributor: https://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=235

They also sell all the RSPro traction products. These days when I need something I just drop by and get it.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 08:06:58 PM by PonoBill »

sup-punta-mita

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2022, 09:45:22 AM »
I appreciate all the replies. I will be getting the RS Pro product. Thanks to all that helped here.
SUPS Stoke 9'6" wide
Surftech Caddie 10'2"
Infinity Carver 9'6"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal