Author Topic: The Yin & Yang of Gerry Lopez  (Read 6426 times)

Deep Sea

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Yin & Yang of Gerry Lopez
« on: December 15, 2022, 10:14:56 PM »
Not sure if this has been posted but I just watched The Yin & Yang of Gerry Lopez and all I can say is 'graceful’. I met Gerry while on a downwinder between Viento and Hood River. I was learning the ropes, he snuck up beside me and gave me some paddle tips while chasing bumps. He stuck by my side and as I started to get a better understanding of what he was talking about, I noticed he had his paddle upside down. Such a nice gesture for a person of his caliber to slow down and give some encouraging words on my own journey. This is a great watch, allow some time, sit back and enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeTMPJ2B5VE&t=8s.
SIC 14' V1 Bullet, Flying Dutchman, QB Ona Ava, Axis Foils, & Goya Sails.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: The Yin & Yang of Gerry Lopez
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2022, 10:49:21 AM »
I really enjoyed that. Gerry's a very interesting guy. I know him mostly from downwinding and SUP racing. I went to all the Battle of the Paddle races and always got on the podium, not because I'm so fast, but because I'm so old. So I know Gerry from that. And then he started showing up in Hood River to do Viento runs. I've done probably close to a thousand of those, so I've talked with Gerry on the Big Winds shuttle frequently. Now he's wingfoiling, so I see him at the event center sometimes, usually with Dennis Oliphant, who is a very talented, low-key guy who I really enjoy. And of course, Bill Boyum is a close friend of mine, and he and Gerry go way back. And I've done a fair number of Maliko runs with his brother Victor, who is just a super great guy, and one hell of a waterman.

I've always had a bit of a hard time connecting with Gerry, which is really no surprise. He's kind of reserved and quiet. I'm outgoing, but it's not a natural thing for me. I'm a bit autistic, so I had to learn to connect to people, and to some degree it's fake. I think that's obvious to people like Gerry and he probably wonders why the hell I do it. But we have two things in common. Neither of us wants to slow down just because we're geezers, and neither of us is afraid to be a kook.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 10:53:00 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2022, 02:02:52 PM »
And of course, Bill Boyum is a close friend of mine, and he and Gerry go way back.

I saw the Yin and Yang of Gerry Lopez in October.  I almost did a write up specifically because of Headmount.

I said to my wife "Wow I know that guy!"  Even though I know both of you Bills virtually but I'll take what I can get until I branch out of Half Moon Bay.

Quite the impressive history of Bill Boyum and his brother in Indonesia.  Much respect. 

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2022, 03:03:47 PM »
Saw the movie in Tahoe City last month.  Highly recommended!
The Boyum brothers was a surprise. Funny how they "crossed paths".
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2022, 06:10:09 PM »
If you haven't read Bill Boyum's book, grab a copy on Amazon. Journals from the edge. It reads like fiction but it isn't.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal