Author Topic: Heading to Maui next week…….  (Read 2122 times)

John65

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Heading to Maui next week…….
« on: December 03, 2022, 10:50:56 AM »
I know there are often issues winging in the harbour and I want to be sure I stay clear and safe.

Would someone please go over the rules maybe even set up a STICKY so that it is clear what is OK and not OK.  If rules change they can be brought up to date. 

Thank You.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Heading to Maui next week…….
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2022, 11:49:32 AM »
There's an active group on Facebook with all the details, including a schedule of what ships are entering and leaving. When there's a cruise ship in the wind sucks. https://www.facebook.com/groups/3306424612726513/

Harbor rules are in the featured area, but here's the basics and a link to the full set:

Dear Members,
     A few of us have collaborated on a list of 10 Wingfoiling Rules for the Harbor. These rules will be posted on select trees over the next few days. The problems we are having (and the reason for this list!) is that there are many who are not FB group members that utilize the harbor for winging, and are unaware of the protocols for safety, access, rights of way, etc. Hopefully, by posting these rules, the general Wingfoiling community, including visitors and non FB group members, will now know what the protocols are for the safe enjoyment for our great resource and winging spot, Kahului Harbor!
KAHULUI HARBOR: RULES FOR WINGFOILING   
The Harbor area welcomes all kinds of watercraft, with its primary purpose to facilitate commercial shipping. Commercial shipping is the lifeblood of the island of Maui, and any encroachment on commercial shipping activities is FORBIDDEN.  Recreational activities such as surfing, canoe and SUP paddling, Windsurfing, Windsurf foiling and Wingfoiling, etc., must give way to all commercial shipping activities.
    1.   Be aware AT ALL TIMES to the following:
     Commercial shipping traffic: beach your craft or come inside the buoys during ALL commercial shipping maneuvers (see posted harbor chart). When you hear a ship’s horn, you must come inside the buoys or better yet, get out of the water! Be aware that they may or may not sound their horn when maneuvering.
          Recreational boating traffic:  Be extremely careful when wingfoiling near the boat ramp (extreme west corner of the harbor) and/or near the channel markers that lead to the boat ramp. Vessels entering or leaving the boat ramp area may be readying anchors/bumpers and not monitoring wingfoilers closely.
     Be aware and avoid all outrigger canoe traffic, they have the right of way! As of this writing (7/16/21), the Hawaii Canoe Club Kamali’i practice schedule is Monday/Tuesday/Thursday, from 2:30pm to 5:30pm. If you are not proficient and cannot control your foil, it is important to stay out of the water during canoe practice times.
     Be aware/avoid any other recreational/commercial craft entering or leaving the harbor at all times. There are hefty fines ($25,000) for obstructing commercial traffic and encroaching into restricted zones (see posted harbor charts).
    2.   Familiarize yourself with the port traffic schedule, the entering and exiting of all commercial vessels here:
          https://hawaii.portcall.com/#!?port=Kahului%20-%20Maui
    3.   “Hand propelled” vessels, i.e. canoes, and surfers during wave season, have right of way over sail or wing vessels, at all times. Please be aware of all canoe training schedules (see above schedule).
    4.   As a Wingfoiler in the harbor we are guests, and must treat all others with the utmost respect.
    5.   Give way to all persons fishing, do not encroach upon their gear/or their lines in the water.
    6.   Vessel operators, including wingfoilers may not operate at greater than “slow, no wake speed” within 200 feet of a diver-down flag.
    7.  There are no rest room facilities at the harbor. Please visit the public restrooms at Maui Mall, 2 blocks away.
    8.  There is limited public water on premises. There is a water spigot at the southwest end of Ho’aloha Park, next to the thatched roof hale. Canoe Clubs have priority.
    9.  Rigging areas: do not obstruct any areas where canoes or canoe club equipment might be temporarily placed. Do not sit on or attach gear to any canoe.
  10.  Parking:  Parking is allowed on the east side of Puunene Avenue only on makai (oceanside) of Gate 14. Make sure you are to the left/Makai/Oceanside of the gate #14 area or you might get ticketed.  On the west side of Puunene Avenue parking is only allowed along the fallen coconut tree.  Please be careful not to extend into the roadway. Parking is also allowed at Ho’aloha County Beach Park but please be mindful of canoe club parking needs. Parking in the open field west of First Hawaiian Bank, mauka (landward) of Ho’aloha Park encouraged instead of parking in the parking lot.
  To access the complete Maui Wingfoiling Guide (7 page document), the Google Doc can be found here,
         https://tinyurl.com/4t8r9b9t
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 11:54:50 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

John65

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2022, 02:29:42 PM »
Hi PonoBill.
Thank you for setting this up. I really appreciate it. 
Is there a way to get this thread made into a STICKY?

JohnnyTsunami

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2022, 05:03:20 PM »
I’ve heard there is “no wind” for the rest of the winter. Is this true or does it mean 15 knots every day instead of 30? Trying to decide between maui and Baja for a little December trip.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2022, 10:39:26 PM »
Any weather prediction longer than two weeks is fundamentally bullshit and is probably made by someone reading their belly button lint. For the most part, the "no wind" days are generally pretty damned good. Bigger wings, but actually don't like having my 2.8M wing blown out of my hands.

Today kind of sucked, but that was more of a direction issue than velocity. The best days in my mind are shoulder-high surf and 15-20 mph. We should have a lot of those on the winter schedule.

University of Hawaii's Maui 10K forecasts are what most locals rely on. It forecasts three days out. the next three days look OK for winging on the north shore and boring on the south shore: https://www.soest.hawaii.edu/MET/Faculty/wrf/arw/arw_maui_loop_10mw.html
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 10:46:30 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2022, 08:22:44 AM »
I’ve heard there is “no wind” for the rest of the winter. Is this true or does it mean 15 knots every day instead of 30? Trying to decide between maui and Baja for a little December trip.

Thanks for asking this question. It's been nuking every day since you did. I'm not much of a believer in the supernatural, but the timing is suspicious. You can look for yourself here, I consider this site one of the best for prediction or reporting Maui conditions: https://www.soest.hawaii.edu/MET/Faculty/wrf/arw/arw_maui_loop_10mw.html

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal