Author Topic: Tape on paddle handle (t-top) to improve grip.  (Read 4056 times)

zacksc

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Tape on paddle handle (t-top) to improve grip.
« on: December 04, 2022, 05:29:31 PM »
I have some new Xcel gloves that I like (3/2 dive gloves), but they are a bit slippery on the palms. This can be good in some ways, but I am thinking I would like to try some tape in the T-top of my awesome Ke Nalu paddle. Does anyone have any advice as to what tape to use, or a better way to improve the grip? Should I put some tape on the shaft as well in the place where I grip in while paddling? Thanks very much.

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Tape on paddle handle (t-top) to improve grip.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2022, 06:43:47 PM »
Hi
I have been using a silicone repair tape as well as a double sided silicone mounting tape for grip on my paddles and been happy with the results. So far the double sided tape has retained its tackiness and does not seem to pick up sand. I used paddle wax previously and found it a bit messy.

Cheers

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2022, 07:25:00 PM »
I use this and it’s excellent.. You could trim a bit off the end to use on the T handle..

https://youtu.be/DDhw1YHluaI

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2022, 09:58:36 AM »
Taping or otherwise making the shaft a little sticker is a good idea--it helps you hold the shaft with a relaxed, open-handed grip. I use hockey tape on the shaft and then wax it to calm the stickiness down a bit. Taping the handle is not such a great idea. You generally want it to move in your palm a bit on each stroke so it finds the best spot for leverage when pushing down. If you look at the best paddlers on the planet--Hawaiian and Tahitian canoe paddlers--their upper hands are just cupped, they barely close their fingers. Same for Larry Cain, Dave Kalama, and Jim Terrel if you're looking for SUP comparisons. It could be your stroke that's causing problems. Most SUP paddling teachers say you need to push down with the top hand as much or more than pulling. That's a bit different from Canoe paddlers who generally don't do that so much.

I haven't tried the grip that DJ is recommending, but I haven't found a RSPRO product that I didn't like. I  consider their products superior to every alternative.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 10:04:39 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUS4Life

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2022, 11:16:00 AM »
I haven't try this fishing rod shrink wrap on my paddle yet but just got some for another project:

https://www.amazon.com/Aventik-Fishing-Building-Sleeving-Diameter/dp/B089F1RY5Z?th=1

You can get them as big as 45-50mm diameter.

supmmmm

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2022, 02:23:45 PM »
I like wax - yes it’s messy but it’s not 100% locked in either for grip - which I like

zacksc

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2022, 07:32:22 AM »
Thanks DavidJohn. I ordered some of that.

zacksc

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2022, 07:38:45 AM »
Taping or otherwise making the shaft a little sticker is a good idea--it helps you hold the shaft with a relaxed, open-handed grip. I use hockey tape on the shaft and then wax it to calm the stickiness down a bit. Taping the handle is not such a great idea. You generally want it to move in your palm a bit on each stroke so it finds the best spot for leverage when pushing down. If you look at the best paddlers on the planet--Hawaiian and Tahitian canoe paddlers--their upper hands are just cupped, they barely close their fingers. Same for Larry Cain, Dave Kalama, and Jim Terrel if you're looking for SUP comparisons. It could be your stroke that's causing problems. Most SUP paddling teachers say you need to push down with the top hand as much or more than pulling. That's a bit different from Canoe paddlers who generally don't do that so much.

I haven't tried the grip that DJ is recommending, but I haven't found a RSPRO product that I didn't like. I  consider their products superior to every alternative.
Thanks Bill. So you are thinking no tape on the t-top? I am thinking that a small strip of tape on the side where your palm connects with the t-top might help me keep an open relaxed upper hand? These gloves I started using are 3/2 xcel dive gloves and the front is some kind of nylon or poly -much more slippery than surf gloves. I really like them though for several reasons and the way your hand slides easily on the shaft when changing sides seems like a plus. I am wondering though about the t-top. Maybe I would not like tape on there as you say.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2022, 08:52:06 AM »
If you're already paying attention to the paddle shaft sliding through your hands to speed up changes then you'll understand why making the handle sticky is not a super idea. The trickiest component of a change is grabbing the handle. And if you're doing that quickly then some of the time your upper hand won't be in exactly the right position. Cupping your hand lets the handle slip to the right spot more or less automatically.

Even if you're not trying for fast, clean changes the principle remains. The handle needs to move into the socket your upper hand creates. Making it stick doesn't permit that.

The shaft is a different story. After a little time with the paddle you know where you want your lower hand to be. A short section of grip will let you find that quickly. I like the short section of grip DJ is using. I see people with a long area of their paddle shaft tapped for grip. Not a great idea. You want your hand in the best position reliably.

All this is a tweak. If it feels better to have your handle sticky then tape away. I've tried it long ago and hated it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2022, 02:34:39 PM »
It takes a while to work out the correct position for the lower hand and I recommend wrapping some white electrical tape around the lower and upper points where you think the grip should be.. Then go paddle to make sure you have the perfect position.. You will probably be moving those two bits of tape up and down a few times before you get it just right.. I’ve seen a few people get it wrong and find when they paddle hard like you do to catch a wave or sprint their lower hand is lower than where the grip is on the shaft defeating the whole reason for doing it.. That RSPro grip is so good and I’ve had mine on my surf paddle for years without and wear or lifting on the edges.. It’s also very thin allowing you to slide your hand over the edges without catching.. Last week I bought two more to use on other paddles.

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2022, 08:55:28 PM »
I agree 100% with PonoBill.
I come from wooden paddles, so carbon paddles felt slippery.  I use hockey tape on the entire length of the shaft.  The hockey tape is a little aggressive near the handle, so I use electrical tape there.  No tape on the handle.  Hockey tape can get pretty tacky.  It can be a little aggresive on bare hands. 
For gloves, I wear darkfin black ops gloves.  The hockey tape makes the darkfin gloves super tacky which I like.
https://darkfingloves.com/black-o-p-s-hd-heavy-duty/
As long as I have enough warmth on my arms, my hands stay warm year round in CA.  I started wearing them kitesurfing and found them to be a regular piece of equipment for SUP.  For storage, I keep them in a ziplock bag (stored wet).  I typically get a at least a season out of them with regular annual use.  No neoprene glove comes close to the dexterity of these gloves.  Xcel antiglove is similar in feel but they only last a few sessions for me.  i ordered my first Darkfin glove too big (XL).  Second size was one size down (L), will be going down a size smaller (ML) on my next order (I think I typically wear a L or XL in RipCurl sizing).  Tuck them in the sleeves of your suit, work best with a watch or some sort of wrist band.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gUqwdBbfN8
Joe Blair runs eva grip strip on his paddles for the bottom hand.  It is a very nice cue to find hand placement.  I found it a little aggressive on bare hands, but like it now with gloves.
For neoprene gloves I've tried RipCurl 3mm and NRS 0.5mm to 2 mm.  They perform fine but I prefer the darkfin gloves.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 09:09:50 PM by sflinux »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

sup-punta-mita

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2022, 03:28:26 PM »
I have  carbon fiber paddles and was having trouble with my (gloved) hands slipping on the shaft when I went to pull into a wave. Coming from an ice hockey background in an earlier life, I thought I would try using hockey-stick tape. Generically, I think it is just "friction tape". Not sure of the best brand. This has worked out really well. I keep paddles in Santa Cruz California and in Punta Mita MX. I just got back from Punta Mita and re-taped my paddle last after a couple years of use on and off. The tape was just looking a little faded. The new tape-job was a little too sticky for the first couple of sessions but that stickiness wears off and you end up with a nice situation with zero-slip.

Note that this is for the shaft and not the very top (T-handle) which the OP may be actually asking about. On one of my paddles, I covered the T-handle with Plasti-Dip. I used bright red but it comes in other colors.
SUPS Stoke 9'6" wide
Surftech Caddie 10'2"
Infinity Carver 9'6"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal