Author Topic: Adding deck pad towards the nose of board?  (Read 2950 times)

ChsSUPSurfer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Adding deck pad towards the nose of board?
« on: November 25, 2022, 08:59:47 AM »
Hey all,

Downsized from a 10 to an 8"6 and struggling a big with both balance and catching waves as easily. With the 10 I could catch up to the lip and drop in (love that feeling btw). I can still do that with the 8"6 but find myself stepping forward to dig and slipping off the nose since I'm used to a bigger board.

8"6 is fun once I'm on the wave though. Anyways can I add some traction pad strips or hex's to the area beyond my current pad? Obviously not all the way up to the nose but maybe 2-6 inches past my current pad?

Whats the downside? I assume I should go thin. Or maybe just wax? Obviously don't want to slow my board down

Thanks All!

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
Re: Adding deck pad towards the nose of board?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2022, 09:15:51 AM »

I've loved the couple of Jimmy Lewis boards I've had with full deck pads... all the way to the nose.  (...not that I spent any time up there.)   Hex would be better for resale value than than scraps of additional deck pad. And wax is just messy. 
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

ChsSUPSurfer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2022, 09:41:14 AM »

I've loved the couple of Jimmy Lewis boards I've had with full deck pads... all the way to the nose.  (...not that I spent any time up there.)   Hex would be better for resale value than than scraps of additional deck pad. And wax is just messy.

Thanks! I'll probably grab some hex pads from my local shop. T

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2022, 09:46:39 PM »
Only downside would be weight but that is negligible.
Joe Blair runs full deck pads on some of his boards.  You can step on to the nose and paddle into a wave, then jump back on the tail to turn, fun.  But I have other brands of boards (with smaller deck pad) that when I move forward the board tends to slow down and is faster when ridden off the tail like a shortboard, so a full pad on the nose of this board would be a waste. 
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

dietlin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2022, 05:41:52 AM »
Monster Paint Traction Spray.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2022, 10:12:34 AM »
I like the RSPRO cork or invisible traction hexagons. And before everyone jumps in and tells me about much cheaper cork--been there, tried that, it sucked.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

ChsSUPSurfer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2022, 05:54:09 PM »
I like the RSPRO cork or invisible traction hexagons. And before everyone jumps in and tells me about much cheaper cork--been there, tried that, it sucked.

Invisible sounds great! Where do I find those. I have some black ones on an beat up board that I used to fill some old ripped pad space.

Also From the comment above I love getting on the nose paddling off the lip and jumping back. Kind fun!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal