Author Topic: Something new?  (Read 8267 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: Something new?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2022, 05:48:39 AM »
Some more.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 05:57:22 AM by Admin »

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2022, 06:04:31 AM »
Looks awesome. Not sure how you are actually designing the foils but this might be of interest.
 https://finfoil.io/

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2022, 06:12:59 AM »
Looks awesome. Not sure how you are actually designing the foils but this might be of interest.
 https://finfoil.io/

I am taking attractive foil sections from the database and I am taking care to preserve the section shape exactly for the length of the foil.  The only exception is the center where I have made that same shape symmetrical (It is naturally cambered).  I did that for extra support and flow at the mast union.  It flows from symmetrical to cambered in about an inch.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2022, 10:09:36 AM »
Shit, I'm still floating around like a vampire in a blank room trying to figure out which button does which. I can't get the dimension and axis lines to appear with regularity. Holding one controller under the other makes different kinds of lines in what seems to be a completely random way.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2022, 10:32:32 AM »
Shit, I'm still floating around like a vampire in a blank room trying to figure out which button does which. I can't get the dimension and axis lines to appear with regularity. Holding one controller under the other makes different kinds of lines in what seems to be a completely random way.

We can do a call any time and I can get you over the hump.

A few things that help. 

General - turn off face tracking and eye tracking.  Battery will go from 2 to 4 hours and you lose nothing.
Turn on "world axis" in settings.  I keep that on always.  That will show the red, green blue XYZ axes (axis's, axis', axe-ease - I give up).
To measure anything, go to primitive shapes in the tool menu and select the little right left arrow icon over to the right.  That will enable the measurement tool.  You can change from metric to imperial in settings.
Smart move is important.  Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1oD3-CbDeA
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 10:38:12 AM by Admin »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2022, 02:05:33 AM »
What am I thinking?  We can do a gravity sketch shared session.  My wifi sucks, but Carson plays Among Us VR all the time with a group of screaming 7 year olds, so we should be fine.  PM me your best email address and I will send you an invite.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2022, 12:46:01 PM »
Somehow you are already in my control panel. It's nothing I did. Let me get through the basic tutorials first and then I won't be throwing my controllers at the wall.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2022, 02:17:39 AM »
As a side study (not applicable to this direct mount idea), here is the Axis red fuse head at scale nested into this downloaded segment (which has been scaled to a chord length of 7.5 inches and set at an incidence of 2.5 degrees).  Interesting to me as it shows how much depth would need to be added for mounting material below the head for this segment and head at this size and also how little profiling would need to be done to match the surfaces.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 02:24:29 AM by Admin »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2022, 03:31:22 AM »
Here is the center portion of a another concept wing.  It also presents the mount junction for the mast integrated into the front wing.  Axis Carbon Mast). This one is  987 mm using a different cambered section with a symmetrical root section (1 inch transition).  Incidence at 2.5 degrees.  Sections can be printed solid as shown or with any wall thickness/infill combination and can be sliced at any width shape or dimension.  Hybrid solid/infill configs are also possible.  Sections can be bonded and laminated or printed as one and laminated.  The result is a light and strong all carbon core and a carbon prepreg exo.  Lots of experimentation will required to achieve the optimal weight to strength balance.  So stoked to have these amazing technologies and materials available!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 03:33:45 AM by Admin »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2022, 05:54:34 AM »
If we want to push lift forward we can always add forward sweep, pictured at 1140 here with some compound sharklets to combat vortices and a root/connector well which is "under construction".  With a well design like this we could use both vertical and horizontal mast attachment hardware simultaneously.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 06:10:10 AM by Admin »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2022, 05:04:04 AM »
Here is my (evolving) process of auditioning sections and roughing in foils.  Nothing like water time of course, but most sections are just ugly and scream "I won't work" once you rough them in.  In the images, I trace out the section multiply it, skin it, scale in the fuse head well, set the incidence with the well base angle, pull out the tail to match the head runoff, and then match the contours and shape in the radius.  I was able to add  matched washout (opposite of the incidence angle, which I set to 2.5 degrees).  The headset battery warning started yelling at me before I finished the wing tips.  Apologies for that.  Hopefully these images of the process make sense and I hope that someone else is in the mood for this geekfest.  🙂. Foil is 5 inches at the root chordline an even 1,000 long.  Happy Cyber Wednesday!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 05:10:18 AM by Admin »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2022, 05:13:08 AM »
and as if that was not enough...

« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 05:22:47 AM by Admin »

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2022, 10:06:02 PM »
and as if that was not enough...

I have a friend that works at this place.  She said nobody will be around Christmas day.  We can sneak in and test foils.  I promised not to break anything.  Ha ha. 

Foil models look amazing. 

https://youtu.be/pir_muTzYM8
Support your local shaper

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2022, 10:23:28 PM »
I didn't plan on watching all 20 minutes but...that is fixating.  Can you imagine downwinding in that perfect corduroy?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2022, 07:14:00 AM »
That would be a blast to see, but you'd still need to instrument the heck out of the foils to get good data. The big gantry is undoubtedly how they simulate flows. If we wanted data on lift and center of lift, flows and turbulence that facility would be like using a chainsaw to cut butter. Thanks for the video though, Larry. That was fun, and yeah, I watched all 20 minutes too, dammit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal