Author Topic: Ke Nalu No More  (Read 4032 times)

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Ke Nalu No More
« on: November 23, 2022, 03:22:05 PM »
Just got an email after I inquired about the availability of a paddle that they're out of business. Maybe everyone already knows that here cuz there was talk of it but it's too bad

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Ke Nalu No More
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2022, 07:41:48 AM »
Yes, it's actually been shut down for a while.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2022, 02:07:29 PM »
Somehow i missed that...
website not taken down yet

Who go the molds?
Is there just no money in this business Bill?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2022, 06:41:00 PM »
It had the potential to be pretty good, but like any business, it needed a plan and good execution against the plan. Lane and I disagreed about that, so I told him "I buy you out or you buy me out. I don't care which". He made some critical errors as soon as it was his to do as he pleased, including some I warned him against. Some folks here probably remember that Ke Nalu the magazine did the first real SUP board and paddle test here on Maui. I built the business and the site on the online magazine I started when Standup Paddling was tiny. I told him to be very careful about changing the site. If you searched for any variation of Stand up paddling, Ke Nalu showed up on the first page, often the first organic listing. The backbone of the site was content that had been linked to hundreds of thousands of times. He hired some moron to rebuild the site who turned it into shit and killed it on search engines.

But the bigger issue for me was I was doing it just to have a seat next to the fire and prove to myself I still had what it takes, and the people I would have had to compete against (and take business from) were making a living.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2022, 08:10:33 PM »
I can only imagine that jumping into making foils cost a pretty penny and was never recouped.  Its a real shame.  I would love to get my hands on the Mana molds - still the best paddle head I've ever tried

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2022, 10:11:54 PM »
Interesting. I just saw this video David John posted and noticed  a Ke Nalu tent at the event. Couldn’t see if there was any product though.

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2022, 09:29:26 PM »
Really sorry to hear this. Ke Nalu’s are by far my most favorite paddles to use. They just blow everything else out of the water in terms of overall enjoyment and comfort to use.

If at all possible I’d really like to buy a backup paddle or 2 if Ke Nalu/Lane has stock he can sell as he closes down. I reached out on the website and through email.

If anyone gets ahold of him please post back here or PM me.

SurfKiteSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2022, 11:13:33 AM »
Interesting. I just saw this video David John posted and noticed  a Ke Nalu tent at the event. Couldn’t see if there was any product though.

From Seabreeze... Not sure if "Deano72" is just saying he has plenty because they are still being produced or plenty of leftover stock remaining

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal