Author Topic: Should this site be renamed the foil zone?  (Read 5239 times)

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Should this site be renamed the foil zone?
« on: November 22, 2022, 08:12:32 PM »
It seems 75% of the content is foil related now. Is it just me?
Taller than most, shorter than others.

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
Re: Should this site be renamed the foil zone?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2022, 06:52:26 AM »
Seconded.
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2022, 09:31:25 AM »
If you can't beat em ...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2022, 09:44:39 AM »
It's kind of inevitable that foil post overtake SUP posts, there isn't much innovation on the SUP side anymore, so there just isn't that much to talk about. That said I'm kind of longing for the fun of SUP downwinders. I've been dragging my unlimited board around in Hood River and my surfboard in Maui. But it's very hard to turn my back on the crack cocaine of wingfoiling and SUP foiling.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2022, 12:41:19 AM »
SUP has run its course. Now it is just another way to surf. It was the novelty and innovation that lead me to SUP in 2013. A decade later, it has all been said. There is nothing left to talk about or think about with paddleboarding.

Foiling has rekindled the stoke I had in the early days of SUP and the early days of windsurfing, snowboarding, and mountain biking. Some people can keep doing one sport their entire lives and that's fine, but I have to keep moving. When the innovation ends, I'm on to the next thing.

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 12:53:17 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2022, 03:06:53 AM »
Hi guys,

I love SUP.  I think we all do. That is why we all originally assembled here.  Of the original members, most that I know still do SUP, but their primary interests have moved to other things.  Foiling is a big one.  SUP foiling was an early driver as it was/is still SUP.  Then we saw a wide branch out into different aspects of foiling.  We embraced that.  It would have been foolish not to, as the whole watersports industry has experienced the same transition. 

Personally, I am grateful for any enthusiasm that comes my way.  I try to cherish each one and follow it wherever it takes me.  It seems like that is a common trait here on the Zone.  We have what I consider a very unique group of doers here.   I love to read the thoughts and experiences of this group.  I am entirely biased but in a lot of ways I have learned more from the knowledge and opinions posted here than any other place online.  Most of that has had nothing to do with SUP or any sport.

SUP was our point of origin and it is viable, although a bit dormant right now.  If it returns to full might, we will still be here, ready for new stoke and new activity. 

Have an awesome Thanksgiving!

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2022, 06:53:55 AM »
When I first started to find a forum dedicated to SUP, all I found was two sites which are the Standup Zone and Seabreeze. Since Seabreeze (in my opinion) is geared to sup surfing, I came here.

If you change the name of this site with a Foiling name, how many people looking into getting into SUP will come here while searching for SUP on the internet? If it was me and all I saw was a foiling site name; I probably wouldn't visit this site, with a foiling name, for a look see.

I still sup for both freshwater paddling and sup surfing. As for foiling, I can't remember the last time I was in the Foiling section on here. I don't foil.

Besides sup, I've went back to my roots so to speak. I went to back to surfing (which I learned at the age of 15 in 1965) and I really enjoy surfing the waves with my CJ Nelson 9'3" Parallax single fin longboard in Thunderbolt Red construction. My old surfing spot was at Surfside beach, but now I've discovered Quintana Beach which is my go to surfing place for both sup surfing and surfing my longboard.

As for surfing, I became a member of the Jamboards site earlier this year. But at my age of 72 with a bad lower back, I finally had to bite the bullet and go see an orthopedic spine surgeon because I really couldn't do a pop-up or the modified pull-up on my surfing longboard anymore.

After an MRI, I found out I "had" a bone spur pressing down on the L4 nerve in my lower back. To make a long story short, on Nov 16th, I had a partial laminectomy to remove a section of bone over the L3, L4 and L5 nerves. The operation took 1 1/2 hours time wise.

And this coming Monday, Nov 28th at 10:00 am,  I will have the staples removed which closed the incision in my lower back and then with some physical therapy, I will be able to surf my longboard again and also, it will help with my four standup paddleboards.

I'm rambling now, but getting back on topic, I'd be careful about changing the Standup Zone name to a foiling name. For the simple reason foiling might mature just like sup has and then there might be fewer people coming here.

If that happens, if some newer water sport becomes "hot", will the foiling name get changed to reflect the newest trend in watersports?

I'm not a fan of the "change for the sake of change" trend. If a poll was held, like the rebel I am, I would vote "no" to change this site's name.

BTW, even though I do not post on here very much, I visit this site mostly "everyday". And Admin can confirm that. If I find a topic on here that interests me, I will post a reply to it.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2022, 07:51:05 AM »
Very cool to read the thoughts of everyone, and I agree, this is our place, whether we're still SUPing or not. They didn't change the name of the Louvre to Pyramidville, for the same reason. It's the Standup Zone, whether you're standing on a foil or a board. Now that I think about it, the name is still completely relevant.

We're still standing.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Deep Sea

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2022, 08:49:01 AM »
Stand Up Zone all the way …. and long live the paddle, it’s totally appropriate. Happy Thanksgiving!
SIC 14' V1 Bullet, Flying Dutchman, QB Ona Ava, Axis Foils, & Goya Sails.

finbox

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2022, 05:08:58 PM »
Where is the pickelball thread?

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2022, 12:08:04 AM »
SUP has run its course. Now it is just another way to surf. It was the novelty and innovation that lead me to SUP in 2013. A decade later, it has all been said. There is nothing left to talk about or think about with paddleboarding.

Foiling has rekindled the stoke I had in the early days of SUP and the early days of windsurfing, snowboarding, and mountain biking. Some people can keep doing one sport their entire lives and that's fine, but I have to keep moving. When the innovation ends, I'm on to the next thing.

-

Run its course? I still forget most of you guys think sup means surfing. That does explain why this is all foil lately - you are surfers and that side is less interesting. But the adventure paddle thread has cleared 100,000 views and that counts for something. It's just not centered here on this site. Karl Kruger is paddling the Northwest Passage..... Alone. People are paddling around entire remote islands in the Salish Sea - territory that was exclusive to experienced kayakers and bigger power boats before. It's just not happening HERE and you are only seeing the edges of... whatever standup-sea-kayak/adventure-sup is.... and that's OK.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2022, 02:34:01 AM »

-

Run its course? I still forget most of you guys think sup means surfing. That does explain why this is all foil lately - you are surfers and that side is less interesting. But the adventure paddle thread has cleared 100,000 views and that counts for something. It's just not centered here on this site. Karl Kruger is paddling the Northwest Passage..... Alone. People are paddling around entire remote islands in the Salish Sea - territory that was exclusive to experienced kayakers and bigger power boats before. It's just not happening HERE and you are only seeing the edges of... whatever standup-sea-kayak/adventure-sup is.... and that's OK.

Deep, I read each one of your posts and I travel with you.  Same goes for the guys posting surf videos, downwind stuff, etc.  Being less actively involved in something doesn't mean disinterested or disowned.  The Zone is still here for SUP. 

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2022, 08:19:46 AM »
I understand a non-foiler being frustrated here. I think that Seabreeze handled it differently by making foiling a separate forum page. But I like seeing the sup stuff mixed in with all the winging and foiling talk. The way I do this site is I have a bookmark on the foiling section but always just scroll right down to "recent posts" to see who is saying what. My guess is that's what most are doing. Its the fresh, relevant threads. I hardly ever go into specific sections. I credit(blame) Admin with turning me on to Axis. And here I am $7K later.... and frothing hard as ever! I still sup when I go to the ocean, but I foil there too. Still "standing up" and always in the Zone! Thanks Admin and all the frothy bretheren that click here 3 times/day for years.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2022, 07:32:46 PM »
Foil zone exists of course.

But yes to all that's been said. If y'all SUP folks start innovating like people did in 2010-2014 I'll bet the posts heat up again. But most every kind of SUP has been done and written about, so the new thing you do standing up took over. Still the same crew. Hell, some of us have aged out of things and still show up.

Back to that innovation. Remember 2012 when people made really short SUPs so you could surf better?  What if I told you I knew how to make a sup with a new way to surf faster and longer and catch even more waves? I have two. Put a foil under it and hold a wing while you stand up and surf.

If Kai's 7'x24" board at Sunset was a SUP then all these foils are too. But will I still paddle on flat water? Sure, a couple of times a year. Try a foil. If we old farts can do it you can.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2022, 10:03:18 AM »
But will I still paddle on flat water? Sure, a couple of times a year. Try a foil. If we old farts can do it you can.

I'm 65 and started wing foiling last year. I have to say that once you get past the initial learning period, wing foiling is easier and a lot more fun than SUP surfing. For me anyway.

No more crowded lineups, waiting for waves and/or competing for waves makes it even better. I'll probably be selling my SUP soon to help pay for my foiling habit.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 10:32:27 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal