Author Topic: Dave Daum Build Series - Foilboard Construction A to Z - Q & A  (Read 12490 times)

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Dave Daum Build Series - Foilboard Construction A to Z - Q & A
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2022, 12:18:13 AM »
I would say just fill it. Lightly sand the area first to make sure there are no high spots.
 I had problems with wrinkles a few times. I was rushing to get the board in the bag. Doing big SUPs by yourself is stressful.
 I started using a slower epoxy. Take your time and make sure the peel ply is wet out properly and wrapped around the rails. Or it will move and wrinkle in the bag. At that point when the bag starts getting tight open the valve up and slowly increase the pressure pulling the bag tight around the rail. A lighter peel ply is easier to work with and wrap around rails. I asked a friend that does carbon boat construction to come up and help. He gave me a few very helpful tips. I also started using a heavier bag. Less chance of wrinkles.
 It took quite a few messed up boards before I got better at it.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2022, 06:53:18 AM »
I assume you mean this stuff:
https://www.minwax.com/en/products/maintenance-repair-tools/high-performance-wood-hardener#accordion-78a771b85e-item-d3da398a19

Yes, that's the stuff!  I find sealing with epoxy is just sealing the surface only.  This 'Wood Hardener" penetrates deeply and makes the wood not only stronger but far less likely to take on water and rot.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 06:55:41 AM by SUPeter »

DaveDaum

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2022, 02:20:29 PM »
Hello Fellow SUP Zoners,

Thank you Randy for the warm introduction. Way back in 1972 I began building surfboard. Years later, after figuring out how to build decent boards, I found myself shaping boards for a company by the name of South Shore Manufacturing. While at South Shore I had the opportunity shape for several large brand surfboard companies. South Shore produced boards from womb to tomb. This association allowed me to master all aspects of board building. 

The goal here is to stimulate the exchange of tribal knowledge regarding of Hydrofoil Board production. Please feel free to post questions and comments.

Below you will find photos showing the CAD model and CNC shaping of Randy's Downwind Prone Foilboard (DPFB):

Best regards,
Dave

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2022, 08:36:40 AM »
That's a lovely shape, and I suspect it will work well for Randy and Chan's application. I suspect the intention of the pin tail is part lower drag, part sink-ability to change the foil angle of attack while prone, and part directional stability. Most of the recent Kalama downwind boards I've looked at have a sort of hard keel shape to the bottom of the tail in addition to the pin shape. Did you consider something more like that?

Knowing Randy, this will be the first iteration in building these boards no matter how satisfied he is with the first try. I look forward to the progression and to the opportunity to buy this board lightly used at a nice discount. What's the displacement and the width? I wonder if I could stand on that thing.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 08:44:23 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2022, 12:49:43 PM »

The goal here is to stimulate the exchange of tribal knowledge regarding of Hydrofoil Board production. Please feel free to post questions and comments.

I would love to see a more detail and specifics on how you set the track boxes and how you do the stringers??
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2022, 02:19:42 AM »
That's a lovely shape, and I suspect it will work well for Randy and Chan's application. I suspect the intention of the pin tail is part lower drag, part sink-ability to change the foil angle of attack while prone, and part directional stability. Most of the recent Kalama downwind boards I've looked at have a sort of hard keel shape to the bottom of the tail in addition to the pin shape. Did you consider something more like that?

Knowing Randy, this will be the first iteration in building these boards no matter how satisfied he is with the first try. I look forward to the progression and to the opportunity to buy this board lightly used at a nice discount. What's the displacement and the width? I wonder if I could stand on that thing.

Mine is 8 feet, 85 L at 18 inches, but max width is brief.  Chan is at 7'7, 64 L at 17 inches.  They have rounded bottoms and I would not want to have stand up paddled these in chop, even at max coordination. 

The theory:  The Kalama boards are an awesome evolution for stand up foiling.  That has a very different need than an optimized prone only board.  They have to be able to stand with reasonable comfort in churned up water to get it done.  Leg pumping/bouncing begins at stroke one for SUP foil.  They are not taking off or catching swell on board speed.  They are doing a lot in design to allow balance and pumpability that is not required for a prone board and will work against ultimate board speed.  That is where we started and our conversations flowed from there.  We will see how it goes.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 02:22:00 AM by Admin »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2022, 10:27:16 AM »
I thought so, but actually, they (Kalama boards) are not just designed or used for pumping. It's very weird seeing most of the good wingfoilers on Maui on Kalama long, skinny boards. Last winter the trend was toward lunch trays. Now I'm a couple of steps behind on a short(??6'2" is SHORT??), wide (6'2"X 30" 125L) board. Everyone is rapturous about how quickly they reach foiling speed. The rap I heard over and over is that as soon as they lift the wing from the water the board is accelerating. I thought this was all about pumping up on flatwater or doing sup or prone downwinders. But no. It's wingfoiling too. And definitely prone as much as SUP.

They're calling boards like mine "doors". I'm a little freaked out with FOMO. With my shit balance, I don't think those are for me. Yesterday a guy looked at my new board and said "That's 125 liters?? It looks much too short for that." WTF?

What I've heard from the prone folks is that as soon as they get to their feet they are at foiling speed or just one pump away.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 10:47:21 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2022, 11:26:33 AM »
Sorry, by prone, I am meaning downwind (no wave push) and in my case, staying prone.  I can't see a flat based, planing hull being *optimal* for that use.  I can see that those would offer a huge improvement over the older style sup foil boards for paddling speed.  For winging, is it worth carrying around a 7  or 8 foot board once your up?  You only need to take off a few times a sesh.  That seems fad driven.  Possibly for super light wind areas.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2022, 12:07:57 PM »
I would love to see a more detail and specifics on how you set the track boxes and how you do the stringers??

This was before I had Dave making my boards (when I was riding Angledfoils and the reason for the two sets of boxes)...but after cutting in the boxes, we took a straight edge and circular saw, and cut the full depth of the saw blade right along the outside of the box cutouts....

From there, we simple Gorilla Glue(d) in 1/8" marine plywood (or Luan door skin), and then once cured, used a multi-tool to cut the wood close to level to the bottom, and then sanded it the remaining of the way flush with the bottom. We then Gorilla Glue(d) the boxes into cutouts and to stringers. This was the drawing I made to explain to my previous shaper what I was looking to do...

...from a screenshot I grabbed from someone else who was just using Divinycell foam to mount the in boxes as was the method of choice at the time. While it looks like the stringers go the full length of the board, they're actually only about 2/3rds of the way up from the tail.

Dave has used several methods...cutting through the tail end of the board, gluing and strapping the stringers in place, and then cutting the boxes in afterwards....

You'll also notice the we are now only going approx. 1/2 way up the board, and haven't had any problems whatsoever gluing the boxes to that length of stringers.

He's also cut stringers and boxes together on the CNC machine...

...that too has also worked out extremely well on one of my previous sup foil boards; which is over a year old with plenty of misadventures, and the board and boxes are still rock solid.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 12:10:16 PM by Califoilia »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2022, 10:33:13 AM »
Most of the recent Kalama downwind boards I've looked at have a sort of hard keel shape to the bottom of the tail in addition to the pin shape. Did you consider something more like that?

Looking closely, I think he already did.

if you could stand on this board, you'd be down to your knees in water. Would that be considered a knee start :D
in progress...

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM