Author Topic: best packing system?  (Read 2223 times)

Oldmansurf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
best packing system?
« on: November 14, 2022, 03:40:09 PM »
Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find answers on my search. 

I just started this wing foil odyssey last year at age 60, but already have enough gear (3 wings, 2 boards, 2 length masts, a few foils, a helmet, wetsuits, an impact vest, a few board leashes, Wing leashes,  a Torx wrench - just broken trying to unscrew my fuselage from my mast-, various bolts and screws, etc.

I would love to see the best system of storage and packing that people have developed to make sure everything makes it into the car/truck/suv to make sure they get to the foiling site with everything they need.

Thanks!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: best packing system?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2022, 07:09:38 PM »
Leave it all in the car. 😆😆 my mini SUV is forever a 2 seater.

Anything that comes and goes is in 6" deep plastic tubs. Easy to carry 3 and so it's board, foil parts, and 1-3 tubs stacked. 3 trips max. My wetsuits and rubber go in one and it's a changing mat too. Car stays clean.

I have a small parts container that stays in. (you could hide yours under a seat or something. Never without spare bolts, an extra driver bit, and such.

Whatever Pono says here disregard. His messy vehicles are legendary. 😅 Mine are cluttered but still smell passable. Hahahahaha.

JohnnyTsunami

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2022, 07:50:19 PM »
Ford transit connect. Never disassemble your gear. Hang the wings up on the side. Get a pelican case (harbor freight cheapo) for the tools you use regularly, and a cargo net for the other misc. stuff. Plenty of room to camp and have a cooler still if you put your board in lengthwise against a side and tail of your foil against the driver's left armrest.

If I took my stuff out every time I would attach the pump to a wing bag and leave my tools in the car and hook my harness, helmet, vest, etc. to each other so you can't forget any of them.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2022, 05:39:03 AM »
Nissan Rogue SUV.  These waterproof duffle bags are great for organizing wings in the back of the car and keeping the dry wings from getting wet when loading up the wet wings after a session. My 6m and 7m each have a bag and the 5m and 4m share one bag.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F2ZYKPS/ref=twister_B095MX4KRF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

StellaBlu

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2022, 07:32:15 AM »
Roof box.  I throw everything other than the board into it and it keeps the car (SUV) clean and organized.  Ive even set up a pressured shower in there to hose off.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2022, 09:41:00 AM »
Hey! I resemble that remark. Yes, my vehicles look like a homeless dude's grocery cart and smell about the same. But I do have a bit of order to the chaos. In Maui, I have a Dodge van (bought used from Hertz for not a lot of bucks) which is the ultimate soccer mommy surfer van unless you go for something huge. The 5 rear seats fold flat which gives seven feet of uninterrupted flat floor. I carry two or three boards on edge in a wooden rack I built. Three boards take up 1/3 of the width. I took out one of the second-row seats which creates a well with the boards running over it. I put a plastic tub in it with a Big Kahuna shower with several gallons of water. A huge shower and rinsing capacity. The plastic tub contains any screwups when I fill the Big Kahuna--yes, I am capable of that level of distraction. I also made a long wooden box from 1/4" plywood that holds all the incidentals. Masts, extra wings, my toolkit and spare parts in a small duffle, impact wrench, etc.. I leave the wings I use most assembled on fuselages with wings and stabilizers in the covers, stacked between the boards and the box. They look orderly and nice until I take off the covers and reveal the myriad of reef scratches. I take the fuselages off the mast and the mast off the board to store. The wing bags go on top of the box or wherever I toss them. It sounds very orderly, and I can find stuff quickly, but it descends into chaos quickly--that's just entropy.

Surfcowboy and Covesurfer would be astonished to find I have both a cut-off broom and one of those weird microfiber string mop thingies. I occasionally sweep out the sand and use the microfiber thingy to get sand off things before I put them away. I saw Ikaika do that and since I want to be him when I grow up, I copied it. Of course, he does it every time and I do it when I think of it, which is rarely. I also made a set of low stands from PVC pipe to keep the boards off the ground while I'm getting them ready or taking them apart. I use those fairly often.

On the rare occasion that I take everything out of the van to carry something big or hose out the mess I inevitably find I've left something critical behind. Don't do it.

In a ridiculous turn of events, Diane is replacing her Chevy Volt with a new Model Y, and I'm getting the hand-me-down. I'm going to sell the van (it's worth more) and switch to the Volt. The model Y isn't here yet (shipping from Oahu) but I've already added racks and I'm figuring out how to take the rear seats out and fit it for carrying all my stuff, so I'm reading this thread with interest, especially StellaBlues roof rack idea. That entire process should be entertaining.

In Hood River, I sold my F350 truck with a full bed and crew cab just before I headed to Maui and replaced it with a Tesla Model Y with racks and a trailer hitch. The huge truck permitted levels of disorganization rarely seen before. The Model Y hasn't been abused yet. Check back next summer.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 09:58:31 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2022, 12:05:30 PM »
In a ridiculous turn of events, Diane is replacing her Chevy Volt with a new Model Y, and I'm getting the hand-me-down. I'm going to sell the van (it's worth more) and switch to the Volt.

Sell the van for a case of beer???

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2022, 02:21:53 PM »
In a ridiculous turn of events, Diane is replacing her Chevy Volt with a new Model Y, and I'm getting the hand-me-down. I'm going to sell the van (it's worth more) and switch to the Volt.

Sell the van for a case of beer???

That only happens during a blood moon combined with a lunar eclipse.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2022, 02:24:31 PM »
HAH! If anyone's wondering, I can confirm that I met PonoBill and he was cleaning out his van at the time. So I think the stories of horrible stench may be overrated :)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2022, 05:34:36 PM »
Don't tell them that, I have a reputation to maintain.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal