Author Topic: Finally a mojor news organization mentioned this critical fact  (Read 3124 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Finally a mojor news organization mentioned this critical fact
« on: November 14, 2022, 11:40:48 AM »
Well, at least they did in Australia. Here in the USA you could probably be shot for publishing this. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-11-13/earths-population-reaches-eight-billion-people/101643854

We have already passed peak child. There will almost certainly never be more children alive in the world than there are now. The population will still grow, but only because geezers don't die at 60--or 45. If you think it's hard to hire people to do mundane jobs now, understand that it will only get worse. Not because gen Z is lazy, but because there are more shitty jobs than people willing to fill them (and few places where a low-paying job is a living wage). Economics meets population decline. We'd better start importing as many young educated people as we can because the competition is going to get fierce. Very soon. Oh wait, it already is in places that are paying attention. I have to assume the new Prime Minister in the UK is a complete moron. Or at least never does math.

Remember when people were saying we needed a universal income because there were not going to be enough jobs for the growing population? The growth is exclusively in retired people. I'm not going to be installing gutters, painting houses, doing carpentry, digging ditches, crawling under houses in winter to fix frozen pipes. If you whine about immigrants taking jobs, you better get ready to do that at 65.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 11:44:46 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Finally a mojor news organization mentioned this critical fact
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2022, 06:42:38 PM »
It's going to be wild.

So much can be automated, and then there's so much that can't. Weird handyman jobs and such will command outrageous fees or not get done.

My only thought is that companies could use automation (think drywall installation via robot) to offset the cost of the parts that can't be automated. But that's not going to cover a ton of industries.

I'm trying to prepare my friends in politics for markets changing faster than we can adapt and they mostly aren't grasping it.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2022, 08:44:01 AM »
Weird handyman jobs and such will command outrageous fees or not get done.

Already here. I spent almost a much money getting someone to install my built-in refrigerator and range than what I paid for the appiances. And I had a very hard time finding some capable and willing to do it right.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2022, 09:10:28 AM »
There are a lot of reasons why Elon is focusing so much energy on building humanoid robots, but they won't be helpful to the average Joe for anything more than carrying stuff for a very long time. As nutty as he can be about things he was the first person I've heard publically saying we need more population and a higher birthrate, not less. You can be a whackjob and still understand the long-term. I consider myself to be a pretty good example of that.

The politics of this are ugly since the concepts go against every populist element. Joe Sixpack is firmly convinced immigrants are stealing all the jobs. Almost everyone else considers them to be a drain on social services. I can't imagine a politician making "let's get a lot more immigrants" to be a plank to stand on. And in the rare case that they are willing to say something like that they make it an emotional issue--kindness and fairness. It shouldn't be that, it should be enlightened self-interest, but it's the only thing I hear. On a partisan basis, the politicians see it as a way to stack voter demographics. Supposedly good for the Democrats, bad for Republicans.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supmmmm

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2022, 10:41:41 AM »
Meanwhile North of the border…..

The Ontario government is in the process of ratifying Bill 23. This is an omnibus bill that is mainly concerned with quickening or withdrawing legal processes to make more land available for housing. Regrettably, it does this at the expense of the environment and democratic process.
Some of the main features of the bill are:

- Removing the planning powers of regional municipalities;

- Allows the Minister of Municipal Affairs to unilaterally override new city Official Plan policies.

- Relieving land developers of development fees and loading the costs onto municipalities;

- Removing the powers of conservation authorities to grant or withhold permits to build on regulated areas;

- Denying individuals and citizen groups any right of appeal to the Ontario Land Tribunal.

Some specific implications for Toronto include:
- The bill cuts developers' payments to the city by an estimated $200 million per year.
- Requires the City to substantially increase densities near subway stations in the next year.
- Removes the City's ability to regulate the size of new dwelling units.
- Greatly reduces the City's ability to make developers pay for the added costs to provide services for the increased population.
- Retroactively eliminates the right of residents or community organizations to appeal development approvals.
- Reduces the City's ability to protect existing tenants who lose their homes due to redevelopment.

This won’t look good for either side. Yes we need more bodies but we don’t want to put them on our treasured green space.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2022, 01:38:36 PM »
Feinstein, Grassley, Shelby, Inhofe and Leahy, are "living" proof that Americans can perform mundane jobs well into their 80's.  Seriously, the average age of a Senator is 63.  20% are over 70.  Crap, now I can't remember what my point was...never mind.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2022, 02:20:53 PM »

The Ontario government is in the process of ratifying Bill 23. This is an omnibus bill that is mainly concerned with quickening or withdrawing legal processes to make more land available for housing. Regrettably, it does this at the expense of the environment and democratic process.

Weird, that seems more like something that would happen in the USA, where we have the best government that money can buy. Though I've always thought that Canadian urban planning was an oxymoron. Vancouver seems like the perfect intersection of crappy planning and under spec building codes. Toronto too, Quebec City/Montreal less so, though I've always stuck to the old section with the beautiful buildings, not the newer areas with the monstrosities.

supmmmm

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2022, 02:55:50 PM »

Weird, that seems more like something that would happen in the USA, where we have the best government that money can buy. Though I've always thought that Canadian urban planning was an oxymoron. Vancouver seems like the perfect intersection of crappy planning and under spec building codes. Toronto too, Quebec City/Montreal less so, though I've always stuck to the old section with the beautiful buildings, not the newer areas with the monstrosities.

Yup - monstrosities hooked up to aging infrastructure. Condos going up right next and around decaying highways. Add Boston dig sized public transit projects on top of it. Work from home for those that can is a good thing these days cause not much moves around here.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal