Author Topic: Allwave centre fin box  (Read 3230 times)

Supduff

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Allwave centre fin box
« on: November 08, 2022, 12:17:53 AM »
Can someone with a recent Fanatic Allwave tell me whether the centre fin box is compatible with Futures 1/2” base fins. In other words, can I put in a futures thruster set (3/4” sides and 1/2” centre) or will the board only take the Fanatic centre fin.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Allwave centre fin box
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2022, 11:11:52 AM »
From what I understand, the Allwave now has 3 Multiboxes - all 3 the same size and compatible with FCS, Futures and Probox (and possibly others) fins.  Since 1/2" Futures also work in 3/4" futures boxes they should probably also work in the Multibox.  (The 1/2" tab center will likely sit a bit deep.)

Shoot Jim K at Extreme Windsurfing a message, jim@extremewindsurfing.com he will know for certain.  I just picked up a fresh 10 x 28.5 Stylemaster (2 Multiboxes + 1 US Box) from him, great deal and experience as always.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2022, 06:29:08 AM »
Here are a couple of Futures - large GL, 3/4" front 1/2 rear with a stock fanatic front fin in the middle for comparison.   The 3/4 front Futures fits fine but the 1/2 rear is pretty deep and you will of course lose height and base unless you shim it.

One other thing to consider when using non-Fanatic fins is that there is significant cant built into the Fanatic side fin.  A Futures would stand more perpendicular.

The Multibox does provide for a great connection overall, and with the side screws, has eliminated the side to side play associated with Futures boxes especially the clones previously utilized by Fanatic.

BTW, FCS fins are not exactly plug and play in this box.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2022, 06:31:21 AM »
Futures and Fanatic base comparison

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2022, 06:32:15 AM »
Large front GL

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2022, 06:33:00 AM »
Large rear GL

Supduff

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2022, 01:54:17 PM »
Large rear GL

Thanks for the effort.
Cheers, Geoffrey

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2022, 08:35:30 PM »
It does look like Multibox (Duotone) comes in 1/2” depth for the center fin and 1/2 and 3/4 for the sides like Futures, in any case, the Futures fins should work either way.  You’ve got me thinking about trying different side bites on my board, smaller and more vertical.
Tell us how your board comes configured.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2022, 06:26:32 AM »
And one last thought, which could be a deal breaker.  The futures fins with a solid tab will definitely work, but the skeletonized tabs might not always line up with the side grub screws.

Supduff

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2022, 05:51:16 PM »
It does look like Multibox (Duotone) comes in 1/2” depth for the center fin and 1/2 and 3/4 for the sides like Futures, in any case, the Futures fins should work either way.  You’ve got me thinking about trying different side bites on my board, smaller and more vertical.
Tell us how your board comes configured.

I actually have the Fanatic Stylemaster, but am considering the Allwave. I was exploring the possibility of putting smaller thruster fins if I get the Allwave. My Stylemaster came with 4 1/2” sidebites and an 8” centre. I’m a lightweight and wanted the board a bit looser so I put in Futures SB1s 3.6” and a 6” centre fin. BTW, the honeycomb base on the SB1 fits fine in the Fanatic multi box. The grubs screws lock the fin in place nicely.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal