Author Topic: Downwind Foil Videos  (Read 3712 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Downwind Foil Videos
« on: November 05, 2022, 08:40:38 AM »
There was SUP, then SUP Foil, Prone Foil, Winging and now Downwinding.

Here are some videos to get you excited about the latest installment of Extreme sport.

This video should be watched on a large screen.  We have to hand it to #1 Kai Lenny (with Alex Aguerra), Dave Kalama, Jeremy Riggs and the Hawaiians for inventing the sport.  Then comes James Casey who is pushing downwinding to the masses and the rest of the world.

He might say "You too can downwind in 15 knots on a Lake or Fjord in your own back yard." 

This video is bad-ass.  Best watched on a big screen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqXW18fk09Q
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 09:31:41 AM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Downwind Foil Videos
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2022, 08:40:52 AM »
The inception: April 30, 2016.  We have come full circle.

"More fun than it was work."  Even the music is seared in my brain as I thought: 'I have to do this'

https://youtu.be/9QfFRvd7H6I
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 08:47:34 AM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2022, 08:41:07 AM »
If you can’t STAND you can’t CATCH. And if you can’t CATCH you can’t FLY. To Stand, Catch, and Fly go go with a 7 foot and “wider” board.

James Casey has advocated the use of BIG wings. GoFoil M280, Axis 1310 . . . . to FLY. I am suggesting to use a big board – Certainly to learn – Definitely so you can STAND.

I had been practicing in the ocean to make sure I could stand on the board. 7’ 8” x 25” X 120 liters that I had made by Jeff Clark for big wave foiling. We call it the “Wahoo.”

People have talked about the struggle, the humbling paddles and the pain. Our captain Kyle led the crew from Coyote Point to 3rd Avenue in San Francisco. We all got up and flew.

Big Board, Big Foil, Big Wind and Fetch. Axis 1300, with 460P tail, 76 cm 19MM Aluminum mast, blowing 25 mph and 6+ miles of fetch. All wind chop.

I am purposely showing the takeoff here.  With the right downwind conditions you just wait for a 'set'.  Set waves come downwind, like in the ocean, 3 to 4 waves at a time.  You don't want the 1st wave.  The first wave will have 1/2 a face.  The 2nd wave behind it will have a full face extending from crest to trough.  This initiates the rocking motion you need.  You will feel the nose go UP after a decent crest then rock down.  Time your paddle strokes and burst as your board rotates downward.   

https://youtu.be/vWu3JqogJ1A
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 08:54:56 AM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2022, 08:57:01 AM »
Here was the board I was using for the video above.

This board is LONGER and WIDER than the majority of Downwind boards being sold.  I had this board made to catch big waves in the open ocean.  BUT As I was practicing I realized how good this board was at catching small waves.  To truly catch BIG open ocean waves aka when buoys are 10 ft @ 13 seconds for example this board is still a bit too slow.  BUT when I took it downwinding, at a great downwind spot - COYOTE Point San Francisco - It was EASY PEASY.  I had dry hair for the 1st half of a 3 mile run.  Credit to all those who suffered before me and thanks to Kyle for really pulling us all out to what he refers to as a 'Green Ski Run.'

I was NOT prepared for flight practice, and to ride bumps indefinitely.  First ride was ~ 170 yards.  Then I got a couple of 500 yarders for 2 minutes each. 

Ideally these videos can motivate and teach mortals how to:

1) Get on the right gear
2) Find ideal places to Downwind
3) Paddle and Catch and
4) Fly forever
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 09:13:03 AM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2022, 09:14:27 AM »
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 09:21:51 AM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2022, 09:22:50 AM »
The closest SURF conditions to prepare for catching Extremely Pitchy short period Wind Chop was SUP Foiling the East Coast of the US this past summer.

Here was an example of the small conditions that I would surf every day in Rhode Island.  This was on a 6' x 30" x 110 Liter board with Axis 1099 and 300P tail on crazy short fuse. 

https://youtu.be/j0PQM_-8k8g

The good news is that these type of "BAD" conditions exist all over the world.  The forecast would ebb and flow from 0 - 1 foot and then 1 - 2 feet, maybe 3ft, and back again.  I was out ALONE almost every day catching tiny waves and having a blast.  AND it was perfect practice for downwind paddle and catch.

Then I upgraded to a larger Axis 1300 foil, got dragged to Coyote Point and Downwinding was Easy.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 09:49:23 AM by Beasho »

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2022, 09:30:09 AM »
Maine SUP downwindah!

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2022, 04:55:07 AM »
Maine SUP downwindah!
Technical issues !LOL!

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2022, 11:10:21 AM »
Good conditions lately in Fnorth west pf France :

https://www.instagram.com/p/CkLlHJdolpR/

I'm using mostly my 6'4 x 20 but I'm also using my 7'6 x 18. For our conditions, the 6'4 works better as we usually have nice easy bumps.
Foil I mostly use is Axis art1099 and 999. I'm just learning to use the 899 which is way more technical for getting up than the 999.

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2023, 09:41:17 AM »
Good review of an AMOS Sultan. Flat water and DW riding clips at the end of the video. But a full breakdown in the shaping bay beforehand too.

https://youtu.be/JkTqd6EAgJg

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal