Author Topic: duotone unit leaking near strut hose junction to the main bladder  (Read 2288 times)

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Has anyone else had this problem?  I guess I need to take the main bladder out and see exactly what's leaking - it isn't the hose or the hose fitting, seems like something inside.  I guess maybe I could buy this part and try to replace the bad one, just looking for advise if anyone has dealt with this
https://kiteboarding.com/proddetail.asp?prod=fmk_duotone_straight_valve

JohnnyTsunami

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: duotone unit leaking near strut hose junction to the main bladder
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2022, 09:52:11 AM »
I had this a couple weeks ago. It was a pinhole an inch from the tube in the main strut. I also had a few other pinholes as well as some sand in there... :( 

SUS4Life

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2022, 10:09:27 AM »
I think its best to take the bladder out to see what is really leaking first.  Its not that hard after watching the video from blue planet surf on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYBy7MfLtAo&list=PLtplOF4ld2BtM1vKvFiitPsf7a7zPwhKE&index=9&t=1485s

Wingingtanuki

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2022, 07:25:59 PM »
Ugh.  My 5.0 Unit started leaking slowly from the inflation valve.  Fixed it.  Then a fast leak started at the strut where the connector to the LE is. Took that apart and found the entire thing had detached cleanly from the bladder.  Used a valve sandwich to fix it and now its got a slow leak from the LE dump valve. 

After taking both bladders out, it seems there were some issues with the bond between valves and bladders.

At this point I'm done.  don't trust the remaining valves not to fail miles from shore so I'm ready to trash the whole wing - not going to sell it to some unsuspecting schmuck that will get stuck miles from shore.

My Slick 4.0 has been rock solid, but based on the 5.0 unit, never buying Duotone again - a .500 average has me scared the next one will be unreliable and these things are too pricey to run the risk.

Wingfoil2001

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2022, 02:13:27 PM »
This is a very common problem with ageing kites, especially those stored in a car or hot countries. I’ve replaced or reattached heaps of valves over the years, it’s a skill wingers will need to learn.
To remove a valve, just dip in hot water and it will peel off, this is why kites/wings stored in a hot location have their valves fall off.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal