Author Topic: My Shark Story  (Read 6400 times)

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
My Shark Story
« on: October 27, 2022, 10:30:59 AM »
Hi Zoners,

Don't post as often as I once did, but still check in about every week or so just to stay current on things.  As much as I'm wanting to hop into foiling and all the new things people are trying, I'm still one of the relics that likes to plain old paddle every day.  I've written a bit about why that might be and thought you might appreciate it.

https://www.independent.com/2022/10/26/survive-shark-attack-santa-barbara/?fbclid=IwAR3A1HokXdwLCdK36Qpp6IFtx-WmhYGzAXSb3PPVxDLK62aVAKuVG9uHC8E

(I'd post a picture but I don't know how to do that anymore  ;D  Jump to the link.  There's good ones there)

Keep paddling, foiling, etc--no matter what!

Rolf
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

StellaBlu

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: My Shark Story
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2022, 12:22:35 PM »
You are an excellent writer.

This sentence is so relatable, and well-put:
"I’m not escaping anything, but disengaging enough to get some perspective."

Really sorry for your losses, but inspired by your perspective.

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2022, 08:46:39 PM »
Thanks  Bulky

Beautifully written story of loss and love.

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

Deep Sea

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2022, 09:04:41 PM »
Rolf - That was a heck of a read, made me stop and take stock. Thanks for sharing. Dave
SIC 14' V1 Bullet, Flying Dutchman, QB Ona Ava, Axis Foils, & Goya Sails.

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2022, 06:25:20 AM »
Thanks for sharing.  You have the heart of a warrior, your kids are lucky to have you as a father.  I am sure your wife is proud watching from above.
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

AGK

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2022, 08:34:08 AM »
A deeply moving and beautifully written story -- thank you so much for sharing it!

NEplay

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2022, 11:28:37 AM »
Good luck and thank you for sharing. It is so generous to share hard things.
New England Is My Playground

radair

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2022, 02:55:42 AM »
Thank you. It should give us all perspective as to how lucky we are and how quickly it can change. Losing our loved ones is the worst part of this beautiful life. Best wishes on your journey ahead

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2022, 09:26:32 PM »
I'm touched on many levels. My wife has a life-long illness and I forget sometimes how I am lucky it's going to be going on and on like this - the meds, the surgeries - they do work, mostly. Your writing was beautiful and your story took a lot of courage to share. Thank you.

supthecreek

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2022, 06:47:59 AM »
Bulky
I have been thinking a lot about your write up....
It is a life story written as brilliant, captivating literature, with all the joy and sadness that life will deliver.
Moving stuff. My best to you and your path forward. I think writing has a place in your future.

It also speaks perfectly to the power of the paddle.... something that provides so much in such a magical way. Absorbed by the rhythm of the water.

Thank you.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2022, 10:32:14 AM »
Thanks for sharing this with the world.  There's much to take from it, and to learn from.  And happy for you that you still have your ocean time!   
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

abmatt

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2022, 10:32:27 AM »
I went to find my login information again so I could tell you how moved I was by your beautifully told story, from beginning to end. So clear-eyed and honest about loss, your unimaginable losses. A college friend of mine, coincidentally, sent me your article from the Independent the day after I read it here. (His daughter Maxine plays lacrosse with your daughter, he said.)
I grew up in Santa Barbara (in small-town coastal NE Florida now) so I could picture your paddles, and that shark. And I too lost my wife after almost three years of illness, to an evil brain tumor a few weeks before the world shut down in 2020. Our kids made me go for a freezing cold paddle-surf the next day, but I just kept falling off and screaming curses at the ocean and whatever it is, if anything, that's out there.
Eventually though the ocean again became a place of joy and restoration and just plain dumb fun. Glad you've found that too. Matt.

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2022, 01:36:40 PM »
Thanks so much, Zoners.  Writing things out has been therapeutic and the responses in putting it out there are all part of a healthy process.  So thanks!

@abmatt--neat connection with Maxine and her family.  Great kid.  Sorry you and I went through that kind of loss at around the same time.  I actually was really glad for the pandemic as I craved solitude and welcomed not having much on the work or social calendar.  Peace to you, my friend.

@deepmud--so sorry about your own journey with illness.  It's so hard to watch your spouse go through that and there is such a specific agony to not being the sick one.  Grace and peace to you.

@creek--your typical kindness and class shines through.  Still hoping for a NE swing one of these days...

@sflinux--kind words.  Thank you.  Honoring my wife and son is a huge motivator--sometimes the only thing that gets me up and moving every day.  Appreciate the affirmation.

Grateful for all of you.  Paddle on, Zoners!
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2022, 12:05:21 AM »
Hey Rolf, Wow.. I knew you were going through rough times with your little Rudy ( I'm tearing up just thinking about him). Then your your beautiful wife. Shit man. That's... just rough. The shark attack is so random and very rare, but it happened to you (your board luckily). When I'm way out there paddling (always by myself) I think about it occasionally and it messes with my head. I get over it, and get lost in the same space you do. I know the feeling. Small and away from everything. Quiet. Hang in there man. Love the ones you are with. If you are ever in the area, you got my number. I've got extra boards paddles and everything.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2022, 11:13:30 AM »
Bulky,
Keep on, man. If I can be a fraction of the human you are I will feel very well--and so will my family and friends.
You are an inspiration.
Feel love, because you sow it with immensity.

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal