Author Topic: best foilboard for paddle catching wake from boat passing by?  (Read 2265 times)

tj_boof

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
best foilboard for paddle catching wake from boat passing by?
« on: October 21, 2022, 10:00:35 AM »
the new DW foiling discipline and boards have caught my attention.  i live near a powerboat two-lane 'highway' with tons of wakes all weekend long...potentially a wake play ground just outside of the main boat channel.  likely paddling into second or third wake a distance from the boats just outside the main channel.  probably pair the board up with an axis 1300 foil.

curious if there is a particular board well suited for this?  off-foil balance, acceleration, swing weight on foil, etc.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: best foilboard for paddle catching wake from boat passing by?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2022, 10:40:14 AM »
take my comments with a grain of salt - I don't have access to something like what you're talking about.  It sounds amazing though, and if that was in my backyard, I think I would try to get ahold of something very close to the Kalama Baracuda or any number of the copycats popping up now.  Its amazing to see what people are doing with those boards on flatwater and non-breaking swell.

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2022, 02:02:29 PM »
Might even want to think about supplementing any board you get with a foil drive.

How big of wakes are you talking about?

tj_boof

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2022, 06:33:44 PM »
Probably 3 feet peak to trough or less.  Depends how close to the boat. I'll likely hide behind a bridge pile/column until they pass. Then game on.

For financial reasons, maybe I should shape a few boards. Who sells super thick blanks at up to 8 feet long?

Might even want to think about supplementing any board you get with a foil drive.

How big of wakes are you talking about?

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2022, 08:47:28 AM »
Yo man, if you have tools and space, do it. (build)

As has been covered many times in the shape shack (do a search) you can buy EPS (1.5lb density) in any thickness anywhere in America pretty much. Search industrial foam supply in your area. Make a wire cutter, make it happen.

YouTube and the shape shack section here are your friends.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal