Author Topic: Swim Missiles  (Read 34100 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Swim Missiles
« Reply #105 on: May 18, 2023, 07:57:53 AM »
Three (3!!) rocks, that's terrible. You're so hard on equipment.

If you're hitting 7MPH for real you should be one bump from being on foil.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 18, 2023, 12:45:01 PM »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #107 on: May 19, 2023, 04:58:39 AM »
We ordered some of those Big.  They look great for summer use!

I think the app is giving me goofy readings, or is looking for my good review on the app store :).

Today she said:

Best speed 2 sec
8.6 mph
Best speed 5 sec
7.7 mph
Best speed 10 sec
5.8 mph
Best speed 20 sec
5.8 mph

I am all for a little well placed delusion, but...   I am not sure what my speed goal should be but I would like to get real numbers.  I was hoping maybe to burst to 6 MPH.  I know it will get a lot harder in churned up water. 

Sleeveless felt *great* to swim in but it was too painful and the session was minutes long.  Ordered a 1.5 mil top to take the edge off.  On the upside, no rocks!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 19, 2023, 06:58:32 AM »
Accurate GPS speeds for as slow as we are is difficult and generally inaccurate with just position/time. The accurate way to do GPS speed is with doppler, and I don't know if any of those handhelds are still available. If I can find the old Paddle Pod I made we can get some accurate readings--it uses a towed prop--but I can't see how it matters. Accept your stunning performance and the accolades of the crowd.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 19, 2023, 07:04:55 AM »
And…….. Does it fly?

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #110 on: May 19, 2023, 08:58:08 AM »
And…….. Does it fly?

Just flat water so far.  We will work up to some bumps and then see what we can do.  We can feel them lifting down there during sprints, so we are ecouraged.  All very mundane at this point, but for me, this is high adventure these days :).

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 19, 2023, 11:05:42 AM »
The rock hits and not falling apart is the most encouraging thing to me so far. If you can make homemade $300 foils I will get in line to be your customer.

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 19, 2023, 04:00:50 PM »
It's a workout.  We paddled upwind for about a mile today and then back with the wind on 4–6-inch bumps. Not really ridable but I did feel a few small surface glides.  The paddle specific muscles and balance development will take a few weeks.  I think it's possible but I need to put in some time.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #113 on: May 20, 2023, 03:42:54 AM »
The rock hits and not falling apart is the most encouraging thing to me so far. If you can make homemade $300 foils I will get in line to be your customer.

Thanks dude!  The foils will work and they will be super durable.  This is begin the begin time in that regard.  We have a lot of latitude and variables that can be adjusted as needed.  Strength can be added wherever it is needed.  I am learning so much each time I build a group.  I am doing a new set now that has some little process changes that I learned from the last set that should make them super clean.  I want to be able to build both solid foils that are indestinguishable from one piece foils and fully modular foils.  Both are in process.  I have a completely new platform cooking that borrows from (sailing) moth wings that will allow 1 piece internal carbon rods for almost the entire span, a Prandtl style foil system which will have two lifting wings and no stabilzer, and the box tails that I showed earlier (which are much better already).  Each one will require time and testing.  I am no athlete at this point, and I will still be joyful with Gorge swimming and hopefully some foiling.  That makes me a lousy test pilot.  I have some friends coming shortly that are incredible, though.  Amazing athletes, great multi discipline foilers, and super analytical.  That will be fun. 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 03:49:16 AM by Admin »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 22, 2023, 07:18:00 AM »
This is all great news. I agree with Hdip, if you can swim them into rocks, you've made something well. Most DIY would be toast with a halfway decent hit.

You are getting to my secret wetsuit setup for summer. Farmer John is too leaky so it's cold. Thin top over it seals the splashes and keeps your shoulders free for paddling. This is a near perfect arrangement. And you can go up to a 2 mil top before you have to go back to 3/2.

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 31, 2023, 05:49:30 PM »
Any updates now that the wind has come back? Have you taken them out into some bumps?

I proned my 7'6" DW sup on a tiny glassy day and was able to catch the smallest non breaking waves. Pretty fun!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 31, 2023, 07:44:45 PM »
Bill, I'm glad you're keeping the heat on admin like you do me. 😅

But I agree! We are waiting!!! Do it, do it!

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #117 on: June 01, 2023, 06:48:53 AM »
Hi Guys,  I am not ready for full spring current or big bumps yet.  Like watching grass grow, huh?  We are having a blast though, and it is great to be out in the Gorge again, even at a low level.  Man, I had missed that!  Chan has been sticking with me belly paddling but also got a wing.  She flew on my 1100 foil last week on her Swim Missile with a 3.5.  That was really cool to see.  Her board is 17 inches wide and round bottomed, but she was able to get it done :)

Last time out I paddled with my Axis 1310, and while stable, it was really slow under (my) arm propulsion.  2.5 MPH slower overall, up and downwind and during bursts.  I am going to try the 1150 this week to see how that fits in.   
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 07:06:24 AM by Admin »

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 01, 2023, 11:23:14 AM »
YES! All good reports. Exciting to follow along.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 01, 2023, 11:09:00 PM »
Admin's made 5 foils while I've been sanding this damn board.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal