Author Topic: Swim Missiles  (Read 34115 times)

DaveDaum

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Swim Missiles
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2022, 01:13:04 PM »
Hello Fellow Zoners,

Here are a couple photos showing one of Randy's vacuum bagged, carbon fiber swim missiles. The boards have just been hot-coated and will be sanded next. The boards should ship by the end of next week. We cant wait for Randy to fly these babies!

Cheers,
Dave

SUS4Life

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2022, 01:14:19 PM »
On Mark Raaphorst video on vacuum bagging, he use paper towel as breather material.

DaveDaum

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2022, 01:15:49 PM »
Here is another photo showing the deck side of Randy's board...

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2022, 01:21:44 PM »
And then I can  shut the fuck up. That's art  to me  so many layers!

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2022, 01:57:03 PM »
Yes thanks , but what is thin? And how much epoxy did you use? Do you change the pressure. Start of high and reduce it as the bleeder fills out? Oh bleeder not filling out I will increase pressure? Wrong you just made a dry laminate.

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2022, 02:56:14 PM »
Hmm what's this??
 Beautiful work!

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2022, 03:55:51 PM »
Oooh!  Here is Chan's:

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2022, 04:19:08 PM »
Hmm what's this??
 Beautiful work!

vector net

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2022, 08:40:50 PM »
On Mark Raaphorst video on vacuum bagging, he use paper towel as breather material.

Me too, but it's mostly because I'm a cheap bastard. Mark is too.

Dave Daum just blew my mind. I'm going to go have a Mai Tai and think about this. Maybe I went the wrong way on pressure (well, vacuum, but it winds up being pressure), but it worked...   ...sometimes.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2022, 08:43:05 PM »
looks like somebody with dusty hands was getting intimate with that missile.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2022, 09:55:36 PM »
Looks different to the vector net I use.

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2022, 02:02:29 PM »
So, I think paddleboarders are achieving @4x in flat water vs average swimmer speed.  On a board like this I can foil at my current lackluster swim level easily.  Yum, pass the pumpkin pie.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2022, 07:13:44 PM »
I've been thinking about the pitch control issue in terms of something automatic. I think the wand/bellcrank/movable wing-style sailboat stuff like on the Skeeta, is a possibility, but maybe something more electronic. Micro gyros are cheap as are Bluetooth radios. A waterproof servo moving a control surface and a gyro to keep the pitch under control with a little manual override to manage the flying height. Hell, we could do that with infrared or ultrasonic TOF (time of flight) distance detectors. I've never tried them with water but my dipshit little robots use them to map a room. I'm going to play with the ideas here on Maui. You might not need it, but if you do it would be nice to have a simple (in geek terms, meaning existing cheap tech) solution. I think the entire thing would run nicely on an ESP32 with built-in Bluetooth, servo drivers (PWM pins), and more computing power than an IBM1620 with perhaps a hundred lines of code.

You probably won't need it, but I would be nice to have it ready

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2022, 02:22:00 AM »
The boards should ship by the end of next week. We cant wait for Randy to fly these babies!

Randy really thought he was going to be able to wait for spring, but now I am ready to break out old stinky (my 5 mil which has been sulking in a bin, unused for 2 years) and get in that cold looking river.  SO STOKED!

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2022, 03:47:57 AM »
I wonder if a windsurf fuselage would work better for this. My thought is more pitch stable, so easier gliding. Anyway, worth remembering if pitch control is difficult.

I reached out to Sam Pae awhile back, asking about boogie foiling. He said it was the most difficult version of foiling. Sam would not be able to try a windsurf fuse because it would tear his legs up.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 03:51:15 AM by Dwight (DW) »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal