Author Topic: Swim Missiles  (Read 34081 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: Swim Missiles
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2022, 03:46:03 AM »
Here are the two designs, cleaned up and nuanced.  In my mind Dave Daum did a fantastic job of downsizing the essence of his larger shapes into cleanly streamlined, more compact packages.  To my eyeballs they look like fast swimming shapes.  That is exactly what I was hoping for as a start point for this new adventure.  This is Chan's board at 7'7 x 17" x 4" at 64 Liters:

« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 05:06:40 AM by Admin »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2022, 03:52:14 AM »
..and the larger one at 8' x 18" x 4.6" at 84 Liters:

« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 05:07:04 AM by Admin »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2022, 08:43:41 AM »
Love it.

Check out Hydro Mind on Instagram. I don't do his course but his video tips on dry land training there and on YouTube helped me get in way better paddle shape.

I don't get into the water enough and this helped keep me tuned up.

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2022, 09:26:51 AM »
Training is going to be key.  Have you tried the Hydro resistance bands? 

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2022, 09:27:52 AM »
Accessorize : )

I'm thinking of trying these.  How are they on the shoulders?

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2022, 10:28:14 AM »
Hey guys,
This just popped up on the NW Wingfoil page though maybe more volume than you're looking for. Very close construction wise to my 6'5 x 23" Kalama custom that weighs 12# even. I'll bet this weighs 11 or less.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/261798468350180/permalink/828210771708944/

$900 for this seems like a bargain :)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 10:31:36 AM by Thatspec »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2022, 11:07:57 AM »
Ooh!  I just saw this vid.  Really cool to see the boogie proner with fins kick out and pick up the next swell.  He is getting incredible glide off of that foil and that is a pretty light day.

https://youtu.be/_85aLQsXVw8?t=37

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2022, 01:24:07 PM »
Here is his instagram if you want to talk to him about it. He has a barracuda now, so can probably compare the different styles for you.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CgvUHhkjZ35/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2022, 03:11:01 AM »
Hi guys,

Thanks for those links!  So much cool stuff happening in all of these sub directions.

Does anyone have any experience with the Axis 1300 or 1310 from Axis?  I am looking for the impossible, of course.  Most lift and least drag.  I envision this as a pretty cruisey endeavor so top speed and radical maneuverability are lower priorities.  Unsure what choices and sizes for stabilizers for this use.

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 03:14:04 AM by Admin »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2022, 03:44:04 AM »
I like Dominic’s analysis

https://youtu.be/xTb7I2DVJNE

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2022, 10:30:01 AM »
Accessorize : )

I'm thinking of trying these.  How are they on the shoulders?

No problem, but I use them (as an age compensator) on the maybe three times a year when I prone surf. So not enough to gauge whether any repetitive stress issues.  I just swallow my pride and paddle my heart out.  I could also use some spring loaded kneepads for my pop-up.     
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2022, 08:06:52 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with the Axis 1300 or 1310 from Axis?  I am looking for the impossible, of course.  Most lift and least drag.  I envision this as a pretty cruisey endeavor so top speed and radical maneuverability are lower priorities.  Unsure what choices and sizes for stabilizers for this use.

Thanks

I've got a 1300 you can borrow. I rarely use it. It's probably the best-looking foil in my quiver so you won't gag when you bolt it on your fuselage. LMK if you want it, I can drop it off before we get out of this cold place. The 400/60 stabilizer works well with the 1300.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 08:16:49 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2022, 08:15:27 PM »
https://www.scubajet.com/shop/accessories/scubajet-pro-overwater-kit/
 I still think these are cool. I know I mentioned it before and blue planet did a review but I think that was the older 500w version. The 1000w version should have more than enough power to help get up. It also keeps everything under the board. I am pretty sure it has a safety function that turns the motor off when it comes out of the water. Perfect for foiling. Set the throttle at 70-80%, what ever you need and forget about it
 I still have an idea of adding small foils to the front of a 14ft SUP.  With a small T-foil rear fin. This would create stability and allow you to go narrower. Not actually get foiling but add some lift and stability. Would the extra drag of the foils be compensated by a narrower board?
 Anyhow back on subject, maybe 2 small L foils at 45°( or whatever the optimal angle is) up forward would help lift you out. It would create lift forward to begin giving the main foil a bigger AOA to help you get up on the foil ??? These with a scuba jet underneath should have you popping up on the foil easily????
 You could easily make 2 L foils out of 1 long high aspect front wing.

Been there, done that with the geezer foil. I used surface piercing foils in the front and a T foil in the back. I fucked up the calculations so it had way too much lift and of course, way too much drag. Do the math carefully if you go forward. Mine was lifting 250+ pounds at less than 3mph. I've also seen a surfski used as a standup board with two small foils on outriggers to stabilize it. The foils had floats above them to stabilize the board at rest. As soon as the paddler got up to speed the floats left the water so just the hull and the foils were in contact. It paddled fast but was impossible to turn. Not as bad as the tunnel hull Speedboard that now graces the gates to my shop. That went 100 percent straight with no fin, but wouldn't turn at all.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2022, 11:29:46 PM »
In this situation they would just be there to assist in lift and help lift the front of the board. Once you are up on the main foil they are out of the water. Not sure how touch downs would be?
 As far as the SUP it was an idea that you could have a say 21 inch board for flat conditions and put the foils in for rougher conditions. Adding stability and a bit of lift forward to stop nose diving. Not to actually get the board foiling. Like that you could have 1 board for a wider range of conditions. They would be very small. Foil assisted. Not foiling. Meaning average Joe could have 1 board covering a wider range of conditions. Maybe to get any benefits from them they would have to be bigger than what I am thinking then as you said make it difficult to turn.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2022, 01:51:04 AM »
I've got a 1300 you can borrow. I rarely use it. It's probably the best-looking foil in my quiver so you won't gag when you bolt it on your fuselage. LMK if you want it, I can drop it off before we get out of this cold place. The 400/60 stabilizer works well with the 1300.

Nice!  If you weren't going to use it in Maui, I would love that. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal