Author Topic: Swim Missiles  (Read 34096 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Swim Missiles
« Reply #90 on: January 07, 2023, 10:02:35 PM »

Me too, but it's mostly because I'm a cheap bastard. Mark is too.

Dave Daum just blew my mind. I'm going to go have a Mai Tai and think about this. Maybe I went the wrong way on pressure (well, vacuum, but it winds up being pressure), but it worked...   ...sometimes.

Pono, Tarquin, maybe I got lucky but I use that crap aquarium pump reversed and it's flawless. I just realized that it's accidentally probably doing exactly what Dave does. Low pressure but I always get the carbon on and never crush blanks.

I do get a little lean lamination on the outer glass layer from time to time but my fill coat fixes that and the boards are pretty bomber. Accidentally hit the sweet spot with that hack. Who knew?

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 08, 2023, 09:24:41 AM »
Thanks for the inspiration.  I agree flexibility is a must.  I do at least a 15-minute stretch/yoga most days.  I came across this  https://us.zen8swimtrainer.com/products/zen8swimtrainer.  I'm sure I could DIY for less, but I may just hit the easy button and order one.  I like the idea of adding in 15 minutes a day on days when I'm too busy to get in a full workout.  I'm also going to try a few swim gloves out in the pool. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 08, 2023, 03:38:34 PM »
I almost ordered one but 70 bucks to ship to Maui? Nope.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: January 17, 2023, 06:41:42 AM »
That board looks amazing.!   8 lbs!  holy shit, that's light!

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: May 15, 2023, 04:22:22 PM »
Today was day one for a whole bunch of new gear. Sure, no wind, no bumps, but we got wet, and it felt amazing just to be out there. These are the Swim Missiles that Dave Daum at King's shaped for us. They are displacement prone foilboards intended for prone paddling based on his longer prone paddle boards. Thanks Dave! This was also day one for a few of the 3D printed foils I've been working on this winter. We swam with the 1300 and the 1150 (pictured). These have internal carbon tubes as spars. The fuses are made of carbon tubes also. These two 3D printed tails were printed in one piece and while they share the same outline, they have different airfoils and incidence. It was a super low action day and would have been very boring for most of you, but I was thrilled. I have been sidelined for a couple years, so I haven't been out in the Gorge and this this was an awesome treat. Also, some pics of a sand-through 920 I have been working on. Might swim with that one tomorrow. 😊

« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 08:06:59 PM by Admin »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #95 on: May 15, 2023, 06:23:01 PM »
They look beautiful.

The photo adds to our stoke. We will be there July 9th.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: May 16, 2023, 07:38:32 AM »
We will be there July 9th.

Stoked for that, Dwight!  I am hoping to chase down a swell with you both :)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2023, 07:52:07 AM »

I’m holding off on making myself a SUP downwind board until after the Gorge trip. I want to learn from you, and everyone I meet out there.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: May 16, 2023, 01:38:45 PM »

I’m holding off on making myself a SUP downwind board until after the Gorge trip. I want to learn from you, and everyone I meet out there.

If you need any tips on falling off of a prone board (while laying down) I am your man.

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 17, 2023, 12:39:56 PM »
Day 1 and you already have your mast slammed to the front. I like your style, haha.

Also planning on being out there second week of July.  Looking forward to getting passed by some swim missiles!

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #100 on: May 17, 2023, 03:26:44 PM »
OK, this is getting stupid. Three days, 3 Rock hits. The last one stopped me cold. Hey, my head was down because I was sprinting 🙂. No worries, I know a guy... Hah!

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: May 17, 2023, 03:34:34 PM »
On the upside the Waterspeed app (love it) has me topping out at 7.9 MPH and I hit 7.6 going the other way.  Most sprints 6.6 to 7.3 MPH.  We swam for an hour each day and it is is going to require some new muscles (very different from pool time).  :)

Best speed 2 sec
7.6 mph
Best speed 5 sec
7.4 mph
Best speed 10 sec
6.4 mph
Best speed 20 sec
5.4 mph

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #102 on: May 17, 2023, 05:29:26 PM »
That seems really fast. Are you catching bumps with that speed?

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #103 on: May 17, 2023, 06:44:37 PM »
That seems really fast. Are you catching bumps with that speed?

See why I love the app? :). This was our first day using it but there are no real settings.  You just choose a sport and it begins collecting data.  I chose Hydrofoil and it did the rest.  Eject water, Stop / Save when your done.  There was only light texture / small ripples, no wind, we were right by shore inside both the sandbar and Well's Island so basically a lake with no notable current.  When breaking between sprints the app was reading 0 or .1 MPH.  I am not ready for the current yet.  Baby steps.

Spent days 1 and 2 in a steamer.  So restrictive on the shoulders for this.  Swithced to a 3/2 today which was better but I picked up a sleeveless 2 mm at Big Winds for tomorrow. I think that will help a lot.  We tried these webbed half gloves today as well.  They run huge.  I wear a XL in Oneill gloves and they are too tight.  I can wear the Small's that we bought for Chan in these :).  Undecided on those.  https://www.amazon.com/Speedo-Training-Gloves-Charcoal-Large/dp/B002MUPWWM/ref=sr_1_23?crid=3J8YIEB5IY5BC&keywords=hand%2Bpaddles%2Bfor%2Bswimming&qid=1684229858&sprefix=hand%2Bpadd%2Caps%2C263&sr=8-23&th=1&psc=1

Also ordered a couple NoLimitz masts.  2.5 lbs proved too enticing.

Man am I wiped tonight.  I thought swimming all winter would at least put me in shape for this but not even close.  Grinding with that surf arch is full on exhausting. 

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #104 on: May 18, 2023, 04:18:07 AM »
I click the action button every time I wing. Love that app too.

The old baggie kayak dry suit tops would free the shoulders up. Don’t know if they still make those. I knew a guy who windsurfed with those over a farmer john. Poor man’s dry suit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal