Author Topic: Swim Missiles  (Read 34104 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: Swim Missiles
« Reply #120 on: June 07, 2023, 02:40:05 AM »
Hah!  The quest continues.  This was a really intersting week for our new endeavor.  Lots of new stuff to consider. 

The currrent dropped into the 200 to 300 range.  Still strong but not full "see ya" madness.   With that we got in our first four Hatchery days.  So happy to be back out in the real Gorge.  There is no feeling in the world quite like full immersion in a whipped up Gorge.  Two days of 18-25, one near nuker at 28-35 and a 15 to 20 day.   

I am starting to get a few real glides.  The watch is reading 8 and 9 mph glides (but now against the current) with a 12 and a 14 on the bigger day.  That should be enough if/when I learn to control it.

Prone paddling on smaller foilboards with the aspiration of foiling in the Gorge has some unique challenges.  The big one is positioning.  It is clear that the right swell situation is even more critical under arm power than SUP downwind.  Every glide I have had was that little corner that forms on a swell and leads you in. Just grinding for open faces gets me nothing.  This is compounded by the belly high perspective.  Reading the water is tougher than on a SUP or canoe.  It is also a hella workout.  For me, this is really challenging, but super fun.

We have been able to check out some other gear as well.  A friend let me paddle his new Armstrong SUP foiler with a Takuma foil.  It was the 7'7 121 liter at 21 inches wide.  Really intersting board that a lot of people here love for SUP foiling.  It is very stable but even with 41 extra liters it prones slower than my Kings.  I think this is mostly due to the width and that it pushes water.  My fastest on that board was under 6 MPH. 

Chan tried Tamira's SUP foiler and Tamira paddled her King's with me.  Chan really liked SUP foiling as well.  She can stand comfortably on my 80 Liter King's.  Chan is faster paddling my King's then her own by almost 2 MPH.  This leads us to think we may have underdone it by some on the volume.  Good thing we ordered an 8'3 @ 100 liters and an 8'6 @ 110 liters a few weeks back to add to the Missile quiver :).  Those should be done in July. 

A friend lent me his Lift efoil yesterday at Event Site in very flat water.  That was also really illuminating.  I can't kneel or stand now so I was belly foiling.  I can see why Sam and the Boogie foilers are using long fuses.  Pitch sensitivity lay down foiling is very differnt than standing.  Wieght shfts are less immediate and it is easy to go over the front.  Ask my sinuses.  That aside, I enjoyed cruise foiling on it and I think I have a better idea of how my takeoff needs to happen. 

I am viewing all of this as progress and I think within a few months I could be getting some flights. 

« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 02:47:22 AM by Admin »

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 07, 2023, 08:16:24 AM »
From what I hear on DW coaching. If you see the bump, you'll never catch it. You're just waiting for your nose to go up as a bump goes under you, which will predict the bump behind you.

Sounds like you're on the right track though. The longer boards will go faster no doubt. Fun to follow along.

I've gone prone on an efoil tandem with my 10 year old. He lays down, I might get to my knees. The wipeouts are a bit brutal, it's still fun though!

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: June 09, 2023, 08:07:25 AM »
I agree with that Hdip.  I have watched this Gorge video a bunch and I think this is what needs to happen.  Line it up perfectly for a swell train (challenging) start for the first one knowing it is a likely miss and then go hard for a later one.  There is going to be a lot of misses and just swimming but that is to be expected.  One thing is for sure, the big foils we bought are not going to work for us.  Too much drag to pick up any speed under (our) arm power.   The smaller foils are so much nicer and you can stay fresh a lot longer.  This sport will burn your toast, so anything that makes paddling and positioning easier is well welcomed.  I asked the guy in the vid about his foil and he is on a Lift HA 170 (Think I should have read his title).  That is 1095 area, so basically half of the bigger wings we had been using. 

https://youtu.be/-tvNaN6XehI

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 09, 2023, 11:38:16 AM »
One caveat there. I foil with Matt all the time down here. Anything he says is doable, needs to be taken with a grain of salt. He is a freakish talent. No one else has been able to stand in flippers that I've seen. I tried using them in the surf. There was no benefit for me and I couldn't get to my feet.

You're not supposed to paddle while waiting for the bump I don't think. When the nose goes up, you dig dig dig and hope that you can time the downhill of the one behind it.

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 09, 2023, 12:42:03 PM »
My guess for trying to prone in the gorge would be to just paddle hard enough to stay in the same spot in the river, not drift downstream or paddle to hard upstream, then once you feel that perfect bump paddle hard.

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 13, 2023, 02:30:32 PM »
I had my first few flights today prone paddling.  3 exhilarating seconds.  I’m still a little stunned when I catch a swell so I’m not making the most of the glides yet.  This was only day 5 which makes me hopeful that I’ll be getting some longer rides later this summer.  Switching to a lighter mast was helpful. I can’t wait to give it a go with the soon to be ready smaller foil wing. 
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 02:34:43 PM by Chan »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #126 on: June 14, 2023, 06:43:28 PM »
How often do you get to solo Swell City at 45 mph?  We got to scratch for some great ones today.  We took turns  and cheered each other on.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 03:59:55 AM by Admin »

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 14, 2023, 09:45:31 PM »
Looks epic!

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 14, 2023, 09:47:33 PM »
I drowned just looking at the picture.

jkseattle

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 15, 2023, 07:56:42 AM »
Whoah!  Nice pic and great job.  Those are some bumps!  On the flights, where/how are you holding onto the board?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 15, 2023, 11:09:45 AM »
I tried to wingfoil yesterday. I got out in the river with my rarely-used 3.5M, struggled to get up in the lulls, and then had it ripped out of my hands in the gusts. After six repeats with same grim results and one totally out-of-control ride to the Washington side I made my way slowly back and bailed. I thought about getting the 2.8M but couldn't really see how it would help. While I was derigging I watched a kiter with a tiny kite get bounced along the shallows trying to land. He got dragged all the way to the spit. I went to check on him, it looked potentially very bad--he was fine.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #131 on: June 21, 2023, 01:12:44 PM »
Hi Guys, here is the least exciting video you will see today :).  This is Chan and I at the Wall going for bumps.  The new Falcon foil and tail (likely due to the added vertical elements) are holding us much straighter than our production combos or my previous foils.  That is really nice as it allows us to swim harder without wandering.  I have made two tail alternates to try soon as well, both aimed at this end.  We are both getting a bunch of glides now each session which is super fun.  That was a big question mark for me originally.  Could we catch these downwind bumps with ouly our arms?  With Dave's great shapes that is possible and with the soon to come larger boards, I think it will get easier.  So, how to foil from here?  Watching ourselves we realze that we are waiting for the unicorn swell.  That once a session swell that slides you into a nice open face at a good angle.  That is super fun, but it is not reliable.  We need to convert these smaller glides into foiling.  Right now we are stalling when we get gliding, waiting for something that won't ever happen without our help.   Being able to pop up and foil off would be nice but, without that option I think some arm pumping may do the trick.  That is what I will try next.  Hah!

https://youtu.be/mAIacK829mE
« Last Edit: June 21, 2023, 03:26:03 PM by Admin »

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #132 on: June 21, 2023, 02:29:41 PM »
Have you considered using a foil drive so you can get used to foiling in a prone position.. I’ve done it with mine and the body position on the board can vary from paddling to foiling and compromising your paddling position slightly will help once you get lift off.. Hand paddling with the throttle controller in hand is not a problem.. You can practice on flat water and is great fun and very do’able with the new foil drive Plus.

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 21, 2023, 02:53:05 PM »
Hard to say with such a short clip, but looks like if you just keep paddling and go for that second bump behind you, you'd have enough speed to get on foil. Use first bump to get speed up, and second bump to pop up. 

Has anyone winged these foils and given you feedback?

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #134 on: June 21, 2023, 03:10:26 PM »
Have you considered using a foil drive so you can get used to foiling in a prone position.. I’ve done it with mine and the body position on the board can vary from paddling to foiling and compromising your paddling position slightly will help once you get lift off.. Hand paddling with the throttle controller in hand is not a problem.. You can practice on flat water and is great fun and very do’able with the new foil drive Plus.

I have only tried a Lift efoil.  I was fun but it took a lot of speed (and prolonged) to take off.  That surprised me.  I am sure a lighter foil drive on the actual foil would be more similar.  How would you swim hard with the controller?  Thanks!

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal