Author Topic: Messy Fin Box Accident  (Read 2748 times)

seadart

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Messy Fin Box Accident
« on: October 08, 2022, 01:15:46 PM »
I had a pretty violent wipe out when a large wave closed out unexpectedly and I saw something dark in the water in front of me, there was a big thump and then a little bit of a maytag cycle.   I thought it might have been a sealion or shark but afterwards I was alone in water over my head and tried surfing a few waves, but things didn't feel right.  When I got out of the water one of my outside quad fins was broke over at about 90 degrees.  It broke the foam underneath in a jagged rip under the fin box.  Should I just clean it up and epoxy in a new piece of foam and hollow out a new fin box hole or is there something stronger to fix it with.  Any advice on hollowing it out flat on the bottom without a router?

finbox

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Messy Fin Box Accident
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2022, 06:08:16 PM »
Hi,
Without a router? How about a dremel tool? or a Mellon ball spoon- A knife and putty knife to remove the foam will work ( or flat popsicle stick end.  Remove the foam as clean as you can, then cut a foam plug with a 1/8" or less gap then gorilla glue it in place. Leave it high and tape it down so the glue won't push it out. Sand it flush. The gorilla glue will fill the gaps. Use gorilla glue to bond foam to foam - that way you don't have to worry about the heat from the epoxy curing compromising the foam.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal