Author Topic: My SUP FOIL Journey Begins!  (Read 11905 times)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: My SUP FOIL Journey Begins!
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2023, 04:15:36 PM »
https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxVmjPGjovf8AKtdaw33Zo7E77UDK9haCl

I think my back foot pressure and timing can be improved. Its great conditioning but my gut tells me to focus on the timing and efficiency.

Baby steps baby.. the stoke is growing!!

Any pointers from the frothers crew would be amazing. Not many paddle foilers out my way..

Im off to study the Riggs videos in particular the Casey catch up with Jeremy Riggs DW series #13 on youtube.  8)

Hard to tell in the video. Are you attempting flatwater pop-ups or is there a small swell running?

« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 04:26:47 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2023, 07:19:12 AM »
I'm curious. How did you determine where to put the foil in the tracks? Did you wing foil it first?

-

hi

Curious... Is there a rule of thumb for placement in the tracks for flat water standup paddling up with respect to where it works well for wingdinging?

FOIL STOKE

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • My Sessions
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2023, 12:02:59 PM »
Hi Badger, what you're seeing in the video is largely a receding tidal current plus some small wakes. Im amazed at how my foil will power up with these water movements though. Its surprising me.. and catching me off guard. One side of the foil wing will power up in this swell .. pretty neat. Just have to dial in my attack angle. Im 3 sessions in but I think I will dial that in fairly quickly. Just knowing about it is unreal. I knew it would be a lot of fun, but its surpassed my expectations. Its wicked fun just trying to be out there playing the wave/tidal energy. The foil when she is spoiling up has way more power than I thought there would be. Sooo fun just trying to get a grip on her..

Yugi:) The foil track mount position is a bit of a choose your own adventure situation IMHO. I found that when I have the foil mounted at the front of the track I am able to get some lift from the nose of the board but really its a pivot point that feel right to me. Now I need to get more elevation (which I believe to be from the lack of back foot pressure) off the power stroke. The angle of incidence is lacking and I dont get the board rising enough to gain the space necessary to drive the foil forward and down. Something Im keying in on now. Daswusup said it best.. working the board while still creates a map of the balance point of the board and foil. I suspect that balance point is unique to each board and foil combo. Dialling in the correct board pressure, and ultimately the correct foil action is what we are after. The mast position is just a piece of the equation. If I put the mast position further back it would create a different position for my back foot to work with on the power stroke. At the moment I need more positive angle and therefore it will stay on the front of the track. I may dial it back at some point but not before I am getting on FOIL reliably. If I took her winging im sure I could dial it back as i would have the power needed in the wing (hand held) to put the right attack angle in the FOIL.

FOIL STOKE

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • My Sessions
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2023, 10:16:59 AM »
I finally felt the proper lifting action from accurate paddling and foil action.

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxRVkvRC9KTlMerin5AyL_kgSKmZ3_Epva

I honestly wasnt sure what do to when I felt the lift.. like a kid caught with his hand in the cookie jar.. haha. Now that Ive felt that Im on a mission to get more accurate, efficient and be able to build on this progress. I can see super clearly the work im putting in now is the foundation for what is to come.

FOIL STOKE

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • My Sessions
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2023, 08:45:41 PM »
First time up, and it was glorious..

https://youtu.be/SFIp-Mi5tK0

Im STOOOOKED for the next 6 months. As what I saw today we do get in tidal swells often. Im pretty blown away at the FOIL and the angles that it powers up in. Ill pull across the board in a J stroke and at a certain angle the FOIL will start to power up down the line of the receding tidal water line. Its addicting and I am all in!!! Ill close this thread out. Massive thanks to you guys in the SUZ! PonoBill, PAfoil, Badger, Jondrums, Hdip, Sus4life,  8)

Ill be doing my Jeremy Riggs training drills with hopes to keep progressing. Building on the trajectory of the last month is best case scenario for me boys.

Peace!

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal