Author Topic: Foaming Epoxy Additive - supplier?  (Read 9099 times)

JohnnyTsunami

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Foaming Epoxy Additive - supplier?
« on: September 18, 2022, 12:09:26 AM »
I can't seem to find the mention of it, but does anyone have experience with foaming additives for epoxy? The Carbon Art mentions it when they glue the divinycell https://youtu.be/KqLLLoNWoCo?t=121

All I could find was this stuff from europe. https://shop.hp-textiles.com/shop/en/Liquid-foaming-agent-HP-BEL11.html
They recommend 0.5 - 4 % added.

Does anyone know of a US supplier of something similar and how to mix/use it?

I would use this for gluing the sandwich of D-cell down. I made one board with D-cell and it's bullet proof but was very tricky to do the rails, which had some voids in the nose and needed to be partially cut out and filled with epoxy later.

A foaming epoxy additive could be used in the bends and avoid this issue. I could also use it for boxes, etc. and avoid gorilla glue altogether I would imagine.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Foaming Epoxy Additive - supplier?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2022, 08:40:16 AM »
Search foaming epoxy resin. There are a few sources in the US for that. Total Boat seems to sell it but is out of stock. Looks like it's a specific product here and not an additive.

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2022, 07:07:13 PM »
I tried to track some of the stuff down a while ago. If I remember  correctly, It was only available in large amounts.
If anyone finds a supplier not in euro-im in!

SurfKiteSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 10:15:31 AM »
This guy is using to fill up a sailboat rudder and does a few tests to see how it expands and bonds...

https://youtu.be/2RFzH_NB148?t=330

EastCoastFoiler

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2022, 03:21:29 PM »
I'd love to get my hands on the pro set epoxy foam BUT WHERE!?!?!?!

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2022, 02:42:28 PM »
I'd love to get my hands on the pro set epoxy foam BUT WHERE!?!?!?!

I'm going to experiment with mixing in Gorillla glue to moxed epoxy.

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2022, 12:20:35 AM »
I ended up with some epoxy and PU glue mixed together by accident once. It dried fine but was very brittle.
 The problem with doing anything like this is you have no idea how strong it really is and how long it will last. How much weight are you really going to save? Is it worth ripping a foil box out or a deck delaminating to save a few grams.
 I can't believe foaming epoxy and additive is so hard to find in the states when it is so readily available in Europe.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2022, 11:04:10 AM »
Support your local shaper

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2022, 07:15:16 PM »
Respectfully, that's not foaming epoxy. That's urethane foam. Similar, but different.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2022, 09:10:43 AM »
I'm not certain why foaming epoxy would be superior to urethane foam. Anything that prevents heat from escaping from epoxy can cause the exothermic reaction to cascade and start melting stuff--foam makes a great insulator, it's pretty much the job description for foam. Neither PU glue like Gorilla Glue nor two-part urethane foam release enough heat to wander into thermal runaway. I use urethane foam to fill voids and PU glue for divinycell or building up EPS structures. Both work really well. I'm curious about what the advantages of foaming epoxy would be.

The Carbon Art video doesn't show foaming epoxy being used as a glue, it's just either microballoons, carbosil, or EPS dust added to epoxy to thicken it. It won't foam up and fill voids as it reacts, it's how everyone used to glue in inserts and such before builders discovered poly glue. It works fine but I think for most applications Gorilla Glue is better.

The sail life video obviously shows foaming epoxy and the material looks useful. It looks much stronger than urethane foam, and the kick time is far longer, probably because of the heat issue. But it's not an additive, it's a specific epoxy. I suspect it's heavier than urethane foam, it looks from the video that the expansion is about 4-1, which is also what the guy says, and urethane foam is generally 50-1 or more. That probably has a lot to do with why the foaming epoxy looks stronger.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 09:36:08 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2022, 09:35:59 AM »
https://youtu.be/KqLLLoNWoCo
 He talks about using a foaming additive in this vid.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2022, 09:44:41 AM »
Where? I've watched the video three times and can't see where he's talking about foaming epoxy. All I see is typical thickened epoxy.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2022, 09:49:01 AM »
2.03. He says we use epoxy resin with a foaming  additive. There have been long discussions about this on other sites.

EastCoastFoiler

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2022, 04:23:11 PM »
I just imagine epoxy foam is to PU foam as Epoxy resin is to PU resin!  Epoxy is king!  Long live epoxy!!!

DaveDaum

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2022, 10:21:23 AM »
Hi Guys,

We regularly mix epoxy resin with polyurethane pour foam and have very good success. The percentage of each is purely a trial and error process. I recommend doing some tests and recording the results. The higher the foam % the weaker the mix. The higher the epoxy the higher the strength. You can also add milled fiber to the mix and get interesting results.

Cheers,
Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal