Author Topic: Axis advance fuses  (Read 3275 times)

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Axis advance fuses
« on: September 09, 2022, 03:47:10 AM »
Haven't seen any discussion on the advance fuses yet here so thought I'd chip in having had a few sessions on the Adv CS now, moving down from the US.

If anyone has seen other feedback and reviews I'm not going to say anything too different from that but, here goes...

I was initially interested in the Adv fuses for loosening up the bigger ART 1099 and 999 foils. I was already running them with a 325 tail with a shim, so had pretty much run out of road on that respect not wanting to shim more to improve turning (and getting more drag and throwing out balance) and not going to a shorter fuse as I was happy with the pitch stability on the US.

Speaking to my friendly retailer, he pointed me towards the shorter Adv CS which is what I'd also heard was the right thing to do, so took his advice. The distance from the mast to the stab is the same on the US and Adv CS, and I wasn't sure if that meant pitch stability would be about the same, or if the dynamics of the shorter mast to foil distance would override that.

On riding initially, I noticed the pitch stability was a tiny bit less (smaller impact than I was expecting) but soon adapted, but in a straight line there is a small loss of overall stability. Turning was improved though, making the ARTs turn about half a size smaller for the same stab. When I say better, I mean less locked in and easier to control mid carve.

I was most surprised on the 799, which to my mind was already loose enough but using the Adv fuse definitely improved turning control and impacted the straight line stability the least. I think it's such a small foil that it doesn't get influenced by chop as much so has a natural straight line stability.

At the same time I got my new RS wings, so was getting to grips with two new bits of kit at once. I needed to rework my tacks, but I'm now tacking better than I ever have especially on the 799 on my weaker side. I think some of that is the better cornering control.

Hope that's of interest!
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Axis advance fuses
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2022, 09:56:23 AM »
Yeah I've been enjoying the 999 with the silly short advanced fuse and 300 tail. Only problem I have is I've run out of room in my boxes. Guess I just love front foot pressure...

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2022, 11:46:15 AM »
I just finished modifying my crazyshort black fuse.  I milled out the slot on a bridgeport and drilled some new holes so now I can mount the mast either in the standard position or the 40mm forward position.  Although, I don't think I will ever use the old position because I don't think the fuselage section will be strong enough with the big chunk I took out of it.

Essentially, now I have a Sillyshort Advanced fuse.

I rode it yesterday for the first time 999 with KDMaui 12" tail (similar to Axis 300P)

It is is very very pitchy.  going to take a while to get used to it

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2022, 07:19:59 AM »
Nice work Jondrums! I have a sillyshort arriving today. I feel better somehow, when I can change something up for $275 instead of $700+. I like that you did it for nothing. I just hope you don't start missing your crazyshort.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2022, 09:28:03 AM »
Every time I switch to smaller more aggressive set-ups I find it "pitchy." 

Yesterday I was riding the 999 with the 300P tail, for the first time, on remnants of Hurricane Earl in Rhode Island.

Sets were 5 to 8 feet.  I had been riding my 1099 all summer because it was Small all summer.  It was "pitchy."

I find it takes ~ 2 sessions to overcome the pitchy-ness.  Then you're like 'This is pretty cool.'

PS: My personal belief is we are working towards No-Tail scenarios.  The 300P is already ridiculously small and I have been riding it with the 1099 in 1.5 FOOT tiny East coast waves.  Pumps all over the place and great speed with low drag. 

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2022, 01:41:34 PM »
Every time I switch to smaller more aggressive set-ups I find it "pitchy." 

Yesterday I was riding the 999 with the 300P tail, for the first time, on remnants of Hurricane Earl in Rhode Island.

Sets were 5 to 8 feet.  I had been riding my 1099 all summer because it was Small all summer.  It was "pitchy."

I find it takes ~ 2 sessions to overcome the pitchy-ness.  Then you're like 'This is pretty cool.'

PS: My personal belief is we are working towards No-Tail scenarios.  The 300P is already ridiculously small and I have been riding it with the 1099 in 1.5 FOOT tiny East coast waves.  Pumps all over the place and great speed with low drag.

Hey Beasho, which fuse are you using with the 1099 and 300P? Thanks

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2022, 02:12:39 PM »
I agree in principle on your PS, Beasho. Once I figured out what small stabs give you, I've not gone back, unless wanting more lifting power in the light. I found my pitchy problem is more with hard acceleration from the wing overpowering the stab and driving down the board's nose and so ride height down, rather than instability from pure riding. I put it down to my local gusty conditions and always riding in a harness at max power, but if it weren't for that I'd probably be on the 300P too (smaller the better!), but have been happy with the 325.
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2022, 08:29:28 PM »
Sorry to inform you guys, but there's a 275p now. :)

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal