Author Topic: Sunova Kanga 10' fin suggestions needed  (Read 2014 times)

WaveWashed Hatteras

• Waikiki Status
  • Perspective, use it or lose it
    • View Profile
    • My Wife's Gallery- Ocean / Beach Art
Sunova Kanga 10' fin suggestions needed
« on: September 06, 2022, 12:39:30 PM »
I'm the new owner of a previously owned Sunova Kanga 10' x 35 1/4" that came with Futures Rasta HC Quad fins.  These measure about 4" and 3.5' and seem to look small.   I own a Sunova Speeed 9'5" with stock fins, tri setup I think all three are 4.75" or 5".    I'm currently at nine weeks since Total Hip replacement and bought the Kanga just to have something stable to paddle around while completing my rehab.   I got in an hour or so at high tide yesterday, as the swell from Earl here on Hatteras Island is picking up and I was afraid to try paddling out through breaking waves.  The board seemed to track fine over the rolling swell, so I don't have feedback other than the setup looks small.   The Sunova site has Futures fins branded GR for Genration but don't list size or area.

Anyone have any experiance with this board?
Sunova Speeed 9'5"
Sunova Kanga 10'
Exocet 12'6" Downwind
C4 XXL iSup (pinhole leak at seam)
Black Project Pure Paddle
Flying Fish Carbon Paddle

supthecreek

Re: Sunova Kanga 10' fin suggestions needed
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2022, 04:28:44 AM »
Hi Wave Washed

So you bought Jimmy's board... Nice!

On my Kanga I always used a set-up similar to what you have because I like the tail loose - Quad: 4.7 fronts - 3.6 Rears
But I have recently fallen love with a Quobba Thruster Set: 4.7 Fronts -  4.5 Center

GenRation fin set is really good as well (pic)
The specs are not listed anywhere, but my guess is they are close to 5"

If you have problems sourcing any of these, please email me
supthecreek@gmail.com

My feeling is that the GenRation set would work best on the 10' Kanga, but if small surf you may prefer the setup you have now.

The Quobba Thruster set is on my board, the GenRation 5 fin set is shown in both set-ups

WaveWashed Hatteras

• Waikiki Status
  • Perspective, use it or lose it
    • View Profile
    • My Wife's Gallery- Ocean / Beach Art
Re: Sunova Kanga 10' fin suggestions needed
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2022, 12:41:56 PM »
Thanks for the reply.   I'll be slowly heading out only in smaller surf these next few weeks as my Hip rehab progresses so I'll try the Rasta HC's for now and if I find them too loose then go  for the Sunova set.  I've found the Speeed to be perfect with the stock fins which are definately bigger than the Rasta HC's.   I need to get my activity level back up so I can loose 15lbs and get back down to 235, which seemed to be a good weight for the Speeed.

PS    Jimmy wants to know when you're going to visit VB + HI with your van full of boards.  He's still in the market, but would really like to try before he buys.   
Sunova Speeed 9'5"
Sunova Kanga 10'
Exocet 12'6" Downwind
C4 XXL iSup (pinhole leak at seam)
Black Project Pure Paddle
Flying Fish Carbon Paddle

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal