Author Topic: Hydration pack / Camelback while winging  (Read 2846 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Hydration pack / Camelback while winging
« on: August 28, 2022, 07:18:46 AM »
I take nojoy in following Pono Bill in a lot of SUP and Wing progression but damn if it doesn't happen a lot.

A buddy winged in a hydration pack and when it got into the 90's at the local lake I started and it's really extended my sessions. Fatigue doesn't set in near as quickly and as a new member of the 55+ club I can make sure my electrolytes stay right.

If you Google this you basically see that fatigue and muscle cramps come with lack of hydration but it takes a while for that to show up of course. A 2 hour session seems to be in my range. Slow reaction times is another that I'd think wouldn't help us.

Overall I'm learning that "tough it out" doesn't work in some situations and my body tells me more than I pay attention to. Starting this smaller board made my quads and glutes scream more than a bigger board and shortened my sessions.

Getting old isn't for sissies, sure. But, it's also not for idiots.

Anyone else do this and did you see a performance boost?

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hydration pack / Camelback while winging
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2022, 07:32:05 AM »
You may want to try Beasho's trick too:
https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?action=post;quote=308663;topic=29012.45;last_msg=309152
My other trick is to bring 2 Cutie oranges every time I surf, stuffed into my suit.  After ~ 7 waves I eat one.  It ALWAYS gives a boost.  Like a natural gel pack.  I eat the second when I think I am more than half way through the session.  People often comment "Where's the red and white table top?  Would you like a scone and coffee with that?"
I like to have fruit/vegetables in the car post session: i.e. carrot, celery, apple, orange, etc
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 07:37:04 AM by sflinux »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2022, 07:42:35 AM »
Thx for this. Though owing to my experience do we now have to get a report on this thread of what swell height and period these will be eaten at? (Spoiler alert, always above 8' and 12 sec at one particular break.) I hope the ribbing is taken in the spirit in which it's given, Beasho.

At my size those cuties in my wetsuit would make me look more like an aging teenaged girl than I already do. 🤣😅 Thx for the tip. Weirdly, I'm mildly allergic to oranges. But keep the tips coming for staying out longer.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2022, 07:54:26 AM »
At the age of 57 in '07 I had an afib way offshore on a downwinder.  Man, it'll rattle your cage pretty good.  Made it in on my knees, using my paddle as a sail.  Fortunately on my very first time on a rudder board so with my knee on the rudder, I could control my direction to a degree, not anywhere near 90 degrees to the wind but I did get in.  So yeah, establishing that it is a heavy 'thing', what to do about it?  So yes, camel backs.  At first after my afib, I put electrolytes in my camel.  But despite a casual rinse, crap grew inside it and I got terrible stomach issues after a run.  So I cleaned it out with a Clorox solution and let it dry out in the sun, open.  Then a few rinses.  From then on, nothing but plain water and occasionally I've put in a few ice cubes which don't make it cold, but just keep it from getting too warm.  I drink electrolytes from another container before and after a run.  I don't go over an hour and a half, which usually gets me around 10 miles.  And I wear a HR monitor and if I'm not feeling right, I can go in and walk to my car.  This time of year it's historically hot and muggy if the trade winds lighten and that's when you gotta have extra care.  I still go at 72.  If PB can go, I know I can too, tho I'm coming to the mainland next week to get bone spurs and loose tissue cleaned outta my shoulder, so it's gonna be rehab time for a bit.  Super stoked on the 1310 I've been on the last week.  I can paddle it up to the bottom of the board skimming the surface but with the weak shoulder, I haven't pushed it enough to get total lift.  But it'll give me the instigation I'll need to stay focused on the rehab.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2022, 10:49:18 AM »
Yes, I've taken to carrying water to lengthen my sessions. Hydration is more important than electrolytes during exercise unless you have a thyroid problem. You mostly pee your electrolytes out, sweat is just water, a little salt, and a tiny bit of calcium carbonate.

You can do my cheap-ass electrolyte formula and not add any juice or sugar which means bacterial and yeast growth will be extremely slow. I used to make it from ingredients found in any restaurant during breakfast except I added orange juice or lemon so it didn't taste like salt water, which it is. Orange juice or lemon makes the bacteria happy. Boyum (headmount) would drink his own piss rather than water from my Camelback after a minor incident with a bag I forgot to rinse--for about six months.

For every liter of water add 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp of lite salt (potassium chloride). Lite salt is 1/2 sodium salt and 1/2 potassium salt, so you could just use 1 tsp Lite salt and be in the ballpark of the optimal 3 to 1 calcium to potassium ratio. This is enough salt to be reasonably close to normal saline (.9 percent). Pretty much everything else in sport drinks is sugar and flavoring. Some have magnesium chloride, hydrogen phosphate, and hydrogen carbonate but you really don't need a lot of that and probably get more than you need from food hanging out in your gut for two days. It would be nice to add some magnesium to prevent cramps, but you can't find that for free in restaurants and I take a magnesium citrate capsule every night to reduce cramps. The residual magnesium takes about a day to be eliminated, so we don't really need it in the bag. You wouldn't want an excess of magnesium during a long session. Consider what Milk of magnesia is used for. Bingo.

And while you might get thirsty as hell you don't need a huge amount of water to stay hydrated. Most of the water gets flushed through your kidneys to your bladder. Water gets "digested" in about five minutes instead of 50 to 72 hours like food does, so gulping down a lot of water quickly produces a substantial excess which winds up in your bladder. Think drip feed, like getting a liter of water by IV. A one-liter Camelbak is hard to find, but that's all you need for a long session (it's probably not all you want, but it's all you need). I have taken to half-filling a 2.5-liter bag. With the weight of the cheap-ass Camelbak clone I use that's about 2.5 pounds. At that light weight, you don't need a waist strap, just a simple bag. In the event I wind up having to swim I can drink the water, reverse the bag to my chest, blow it full of air--presto, the life vest I didn't want to carry.

If you have a Vaikobi paddling vest you can stick a little bladder in the back pocket and hardly know it's there.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 11:04:44 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2022, 11:08:38 AM »
In the event I wind up having to swim I can drink the water, reverse the bag to my chest, blow it full of air--presto, the life vest I didn't want to carry.
Presto? 
Sounds like some jingle from the 50s or 60s.  Maybe you have a future in marketing.  Oh wait...

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2022, 08:08:59 PM »
You two are my spirit animals.

Yeah cleaning a bag is a mess. Thx for the tip and I sip it, don't love drinking from the big straw which I guess is good now. I sip a little when I fall and am resting. Good tip on not carrying too much I always have more left.

Boyum, I need to get an HR monitor myself. My watch tells me what's up but I don't trust it.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2022, 08:30:44 PM »
The apple watch is actually pretty good considering there's no chest band. Mine told me I had afib. The newer watches are basically a single-line EKG.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2022, 08:59:44 PM »
I've read you can store camelback bladders in the freezer which will keep any bacteria from growing.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2022, 08:44:27 AM »
I've been wearing the camelback for 10+ years.  You guys have me so freaked out about it getting GACKED that I only put in water and ice cubes. Ironically soda water w/CO2 gives an interesting flavor kick.   

When I don't use oranges I put an apple sliced in half into a zip lock.  Otherwise some fruit with skin stuffed into pocket or wetsuit.  Aka separate the water from the electrolyte / sugar source.

I have given up wearing the camelback Winging because it gets caught up in my waist leash or wing leash, both attached to my waist.  For sessions of less than 90 minutes I don't need the hydration but more than this, and/or when wearing a wetsuit, I seem to dehydrate and need the boost.   

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2022, 03:10:33 PM »
Apple is a good option. Just figured out that my pack has a detachable hose. Unhook, hang it to dry, done.

I've been putting a big plastic spoon in the bag to keep it open and dry. Also my tiny monkey hands fit into the bag so I can wipe it mostly dry with a clean rag. Ah the few benefits of never being able to win a bar fight.

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2022, 05:13:19 PM »
For wetsuit sessions longer than an hour I use a Surf Straw. It’s a small flexible bottle with a straw that fits inside a chest zip cavity. Works super well!
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2022, 07:10:23 PM »
Dave Kalama hate camelbacks, so he carries two water bottles in one of those funky waist packs that look like something your grandma would take on a hike.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2022, 06:03:33 AM »
I've read you can store camelback bladders in the freezer which will keep any bacteria from growing.

Been doing that for years, and it does seem to work well.  I used to use Gatorade powder mix, but now strictly H20 less chance for bacteria.   I clean out the bladder and hose regularly with vinegar and hot water
. The hose is a bitch to clean
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal