Author Topic: How does a carbon mast interact in an aluminum fuze?  (Read 1696 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
How does a carbon mast interact in an aluminum fuze?
« on: August 26, 2022, 08:56:51 AM »
Some companies have carbon masts which insert into aluminum fuselages.  Doesn't this cause corrosion?  The the anodized aluminum protect from that?  I have a well used aluminum fuselage and can see where the red color has worn off in spots on the inside where the mast would insert.  Does that make it more vulnerable?

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: How does a carbon mast interact in an aluminum fuze?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2022, 09:44:48 AM »
I've been using the carbon to anodized aluminum connection for years, and can say that I've never had any problem with corrosion of either part. This includes anodized parts where the anodization has been worn or scratched off.

What I will see on occasion is a build up of salt around the top of the connection (even though all of my gear gets rinsed in fresh water as soon as I'm out of the water) that I at first mistook for corrosion. But after a simple wipe off (and ok, I'll admit it...a taste test), both sides of the connection were perfectly fine, and ready for use.

That's simply my anecdotal experience, w/o an actual scientific evidence to as to whether or not it's possible for corrosion to happen between the parts, and/or what can be done to prevent it if anything.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2022, 09:54:00 AM »
Schmeer a thin layer of Tef-Gel in it. Don't bother rinsing.

gneve_foil

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2022, 12:57:28 PM »
I'm not sure about the carbon masts but I seem to remember reading that the Axis foils are actually fiberglass where they come in contact with the fuse to avoid galvanic (?) corrosion. If true, I thought that was pretty clever.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2022, 03:13:04 PM »
I'm not sure about the carbon masts but I seem to remember reading that the Axis foils are actually fiberglass where they come in contact with the fuse to avoid galvanic (?) corrosion. If true, I thought that was pretty clever.
I finally asked someone who knew and you are correct.  It's fiberglass.  Yes.  Clever

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2022, 04:01:09 AM »
Yes, without the layer of fiberglass on the plug the aluminum fuselage will corrode quickly. When I repaired my 76CM mast I didn't replace the fiberglass--I used straight carbon and the aluminum started rotting right away. I asked Mark Raaphorst WTF was going on and he said to wrap it with glass. That fixed the problem. Some anodizing includes a layer of lacquer to protect the dye, but in general, it's not enough to protect against electrochemical corrosion.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 04:03:33 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

JohnnyTsunami

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2022, 05:35:42 PM »
Can confirm axis told me to fix my loose mast (DWs beat up old one) with fiberglass to prevent corrosion.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2022, 07:27:25 AM »
Can confirm axis told me to fix my loose mast (DWs beat up old one) with fiberglass to prevent corrosion.
Great point.  I'd imagine that multiple insert and removal of mast from fuselage, as well as the movement of that joint during a downwinder, would slowly wear away any fiberglass cover.  Thanks for the heads up.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal