Author Topic: wetsuit locker for van camper  (Read 6206 times)

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
wetsuit locker for van camper
« on: August 25, 2022, 10:16:48 PM »
I've been thinking for a while about designing a built-in wetsuit locker in my van.

Essentially a closet made from welded HDPE like a water tank, but the right size to hang up 2 wetsuits on a hanger to drip/air dry.  It would have a drain fitting on the bottom that could go to a tube out through the floor of the van.  And maybe a ventilation fan up near the top to move some air through - possibly out the drain hole in the bottom.  It wouldn't have to move much air, just enough to keep the humidity down to outside ambient levels.

Alternatively, I might make it so that it would be mounted on the back door of the van outside.

Anyone else have a solution for drying out the wetsuit quickly when camping out of a van?

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: wetsuit locker for van camper
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2022, 08:19:57 AM »
I have kicked this idea around quite a bit. One thought which I havent done is the rocket box(on roof) drying rack. Set some type of rack inside to lay suit over. Here's the committing part. Drill vent holes in the front and rear  and a drainhole in bottom of box. Drive around while wetsuit cooks dry. Or just park and it will still cook. I usually just hang my suit on a hanger in back of my transit medium roof with a plastic bucket under.

supmmmm

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2022, 08:28:24 AM »
That outside the back door option sounds interesting. Saw several sprinter vans rigged out this past spring when I was down in Hatteras- anyone do a live onboard conversion? With gas prices at their current levels -  not sure how feasible of an option this is.

SUS4Life

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2022, 08:39:13 AM »
i usually just hang dry my wetsuit on my bike rack either my sedan or my camper van.  I know sun is not good for neoprene but I found its the fastest and easiest way to dry it out and ready for tomorrow.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2022, 09:24:07 AM »
I've been thinking for a while about designing a built-in wetsuit locker in my van.

Essentially a closet made from welded HDPE like a water tank, but the right size to hang up 2 wetsuits on a hanger to drip/air dry.  It would have a drain fitting on the bottom that could go to a tube out through the floor of the van.  And maybe a ventilation fan up near the top to move some air through - possibly out the drain hole in the bottom.  It wouldn't have to move much air, just enough to keep the humidity down to outside ambient levels.

Alternatively, I might make it so that it would be mounted on the back door of the van outside.

Anyone else have a solution for drying out the wetsuit quickly when camping out of a van?

I think you are on the right track, if i ever get into campering again a wettie locker like that will be an absolute must.
Camper vans seem to be Laura Ashley designs ,cute but useless for board sport nuts.
Wettie drying locker, board&sail storage first.Then fit the optional comfort  bits around that :).

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2022, 01:39:32 PM »
The box mounted on the back door of my van was initially for cadac bbq and propane storage.  Actually I have mostly been using it as wet wetsuit storage and drying spot.
Though the suits eventually dry, I have found that the function of moving the smell and humidity of wet wetsuits outside very handy for van life.
A planned further addition of a exterior bar on the box’s door will better the drying action when conditions allow.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2022, 08:59:26 PM »
thanks, I'm going to mock up something mounted on the back door.  I agree with getting the smell and dampness out of the inside of the van.  I'll keep this thread updated as I get on this (somewhere on the long list of projects to do)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2022, 04:11:54 AM »
Or you could just get used to the smell.

(I'm about to get a shitstorm of replies from friends who have been exposed to the inside of my van.)
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2022, 09:26:23 PM »
Not sure if you have seen this product:
https://thedrybag.co.uk/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM3P601OMCM
I have not used it, but it has been on my wish list.
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

radair

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2022, 04:49:09 AM »
Yeah, moisture (and sand) control is a real part of van life. I don’t have a locker and can’t take up that much space. I use a few methods depending on whether I’m stationary or driving.

I have a ring hook in my ceiling near the exhaust fan and put a Ho Stevie changing mat under the hanging suit. I usually have the exhaust fan going 24/7 with awning windows open.

I have a piece of paracord that runs between the inside of my rear doors, so that when the doors are open it forms a clothesline. I use this if I’m killing time after the session or hanging out in a park eating or watching the sun set. I have also left short pieces of paracord on sign posts in my regular haunts so I can hang the suit until ready to leave.

If it’s a dry night I put the suit folded in half on a hanger and hook it on the underside of the van hood (in front of the grill). When I do this I put a piece of colored Velcro on my steering wheel to remind me not to drive off in the morning.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2022, 11:08:39 AM »
You guys are pretty civilized, I'll adopt a few of these ideas though my wetsuit usually gets tossed in the pickup bed to fend for itself. That drybag looks amazing, but I know I'm not that organized or careful. I picked up a little wetsuit habit from SoCal surfers. When I think of it I double my wetsuit over the driver's side mirror. If you stuff it down between the mirror and the car body it will stay in place even at highway speed (probably). It won't do your vehicle much good, but it's handy and effective.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 11:13:26 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2022, 06:46:15 PM »
I experienced dramatically less smell in my vehicle after putting my smelly gear in rubbermaid action packer storage bins.
https://www.rei.com/product/634286/rubbermaid-action-packer-8-gal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm5TZZ4Xbbk
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

SurfKiteSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2022, 06:47:49 AM »
Probably not recommended while driving around  ;D but these seem pretty functional.. https://malooracks.com/products/dryrack

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2022, 09:24:04 AM »
Or you could just get used to the smell.

(I'm about to get a shitstorm of replies from friends who have been exposed to the inside of my van.)

I have not posted anything on this forum for years. But, this comment, obviously requires a response. There is no getting 'used' to the smell. And, news flash, you don't freaking own a 'van'. Although, I could picture you living in a van, down by the river. Anyway. Yeah, just don't go down this path. There are many that have been traumatized, in a lifelong way, by the odors of your various surf costumes. I will never get over the ride to Maliko in the old Nissan XTerra when the windows were disabled and the a/c barely functioned. If I ever need to induce the gag reflex, I just think of that. Cove out....

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2022, 11:49:56 AM »
I replaced the XTerra with a used Dodge minivan from the hertz used car sales lot. It's a lovely thing. Smells like a pine forest in autumn--sort of.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal