Author Topic: New to Wingfoiling looking for connections and advice for (southern) Maine  (Read 1514 times)

Zanz

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hi,  I just recently bit the bullet and bought myself a wingfoiling setup (sans wetsuits) and am looking to connect with some local wingers for locations that are good for learning in Southern Maine.  I decided to pickup the sport as a more accessible alternative to kiting in the area.  Im located in the Auburn area so most costal locations are within an hour or two.  Any advice and recommendations are welcome.

Edit:  I have some kite experience but am a total beginner on a board.
6'3" 140l Fanatic Skywing
Fanatic Areo HA 2000/300  75
750/780 Fanatic AL 3.0 M/F
Cabrinha Crosswind X3

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
You are lucky to have so many lakes nearby with lots of choices. I'm sure some of the lake foilers up your way will chime in.

The best place I know of for learning is Harbor Park in Wells. The incoming tide against a S or SE wind prevents you from drifting downwind allowing you to do entire sessions without having to walk back upwind. The harbor dries out at low but the upper half of the tide has plenty of depth for foiling. I'm in NH and this is the farthest east that I go to foil.  https://goo.gl/maps/Sr8Qx76N4iQ3sAtt6

Another good coastal place to learn that might be a little closer is Ferry Beach in Scarborough.  https://goo.gl/maps/2ryrfQ7HemBJ57xo6

Expect to do a lot of walking during your first sessions. If possible, find a nice long beach that's easy to walk/wade back to your starting point. Staying upwind is easy once you're up on foil. Don't bother going in the ocean until you know how to foil and stay upwind

Right in your backyard, Cresent Beach at Taylor Pond looks like a handy place to wing foil if it's deep enough.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 01:24:05 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Zanz

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Most of the lakes up here are probably deep enough, though having to watch for rocks might prove tricky on some of the smaller ones.  My only concerns with learning on the lakes is possible lack of wind,  though thats just my assumption i'm used to trying to fly kites inland where the winds are pretty inconsistent and gusty.  The person I talked to when buying my gear said I would probably need at least 13knts to get up on foil.
6'3" 140l Fanatic Skywing
Fanatic Areo HA 2000/300  75
750/780 Fanatic AL 3.0 M/F
Cabrinha Crosswind X3

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Summer winds are typically light, inconsistent, and gusty.  Fall should have no shortage of wind as the low-pressure systems return in September. You will need a quiver of wings and wetsuits if you expect to foil into the colder windier months.

When the lakes freeze, you can wing on skates or skis.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 05:22:44 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
There are a number of chart sites that show lake depths. Here is Taylor Pond. Zoom in for more detail. Zoom out to go to other lakes.

https://usa.fishermap.org/depth-map/taylor-pond-androscoggin-me/

« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 04:30:39 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal