Author Topic: New Winging specific boards from Naish.  (Read 6735 times)

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: New Winging specific boards from Naish.
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2022, 09:21:52 AM »
Over foiling isn't really a problem with kiteracing and if you are overfoiling often then you are doing something wrong. Kiteracing boards have quite a lot of nose and tail rocker. Nose rocker to get going without pearling (and occasional touch downs ie: blasting through steep swell when going hard to windward at full speed) and tail rocker to prevent nose down riding when at speed to counter the change in AOA from the rider going fast. I have a TFB kiterace foil board and when I get on foil initially or going slow (like stalling a bit when coming up to the start line) the board rides VERY nose up with your front leg quite bent. As you gain speed the nose starts coming down and at full speed the board rides level with the water surface (for the most part) with the nose rocker ready for those head on swell faces. The whole thing feels very balanced. Small HA foils for winging also benefit from a similar board design although such extremes in rocker probably not needed as speeds aren't as fast. I've rode a lot of wingboards that ride nose down at speed. NJS and Camet make custom wingrace boards that have a nice, balanced feel at speed but it's good to have production options so I'm pleased to see Naish marketing a board for wing racing.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: New Winging specific boards from Naish.
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2022, 09:36:40 AM »
Over foiling isn't really a problem with kiteracing and if you are overfoiling often then you are doing something wrong. Kiteracing boards have quite a lot of nose and tail rocker. Nose rocker to get going without pearling (and occasional touch downs ie: blasting through steep swell when going hard to windward at full speed) and tail rocker to prevent nose down riding when at speed to counter the change in AOA from the rider going fast. I have a TFB kiterace foil board and when I get on foil initially or going slow (like stalling a bit when coming up to the start line) the board rides VERY nose up with your front leg quite bent. As you gain speed the nose starts coming down and at full speed the board rides level with the water surface (for the most part) with the nose rocker ready for those head on swell faces. The whole thing feels very balanced. Small HA foils for winging also benefit from a similar board design although such extremes in rocker probably not needed as speeds aren't as fast. I've rode a lot of wingboards that ride nose down at speed. NJS and Camet make custom wingrace boards that have a nice, balanced feel at speed but it's good to have production options so I'm pleased to see Naish marketing a board for wing racing.

This makes more sense than my overfoiling musings :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal