Author Topic: New Winging specific boards from Naish.  (Read 6726 times)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
New Winging specific boards from Naish.
« on: August 17, 2022, 06:45:27 PM »
I’m loving mine..  ;D

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: New Winging specific boards from Naish.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2022, 06:46:28 PM »

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2022, 01:35:50 AM »
I'm sure that they work well, but there isn't anything on these boards that excites me, especially using HA foils. I'd probably prefer the longer and narrower Ultra shape but take a smaller volume. The easier to accelerate shape means you can take a slightly smaller board.

Also, I appreciate swing weight is an issue, but it's an issue that can partially be countered by using a smaller stab (what is swing weight if not unwanted stability/inertia, which is what a stab gives you in a different way)

I'm not convinced on the tail shape either, although don't really get a good look at it to be fair.

Small thing, but the two rows of front foot strap centerline inserts aren't my thing either. I want my front foot as close to the centre line as possible, so a proper V strap with a single row (which still allows a single front strap) would be my choice.

Don't mean to sound negative! As is say, I'm sure they work well for the target person.
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2022, 11:15:54 AM »
I like everything about it except the price, and possibly the color. 

100 liters would be the perfect size for me.  8)
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2022, 09:13:01 PM »
I'm sure that they work well, but there isn't anything on these boards that excites me, especially using HA foils. I'd probably prefer the longer and narrower Ultra shape but take a smaller volume. The easier to accelerate shape means you can take a slightly smaller board.

Also, I appreciate swing weight is an issue, but it's an issue that can partially be countered by using a smaller stab (what is swing weight if not unwanted stability/inertia, which is what a stab gives you in a different way)

I'm not convinced on the tail shape either, although don't really get a good look at it to be fair.

Small thing, but the two rows of front foot strap centerline inserts aren't my thing either. I want my front foot as close to the centre line as possible, so a proper V strap with a single row (which still allows a single front strap) would be my choice.

Don't mean to sound negative! As is say, I'm sure they work well for the target person.

So your saying you don't like it eh?

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2022, 11:31:27 PM »
Naish Inflatable Wingboards are pretty good!....5'7" 130L

https://youtu.be/YL2LlZKae80 

« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 12:32:50 AM by steamroller »

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2022, 02:55:31 AM »
So your saying you don't like it eh?

I wouldn't use the word 'dislike', it just doesn't have any features that I'd look for. Take the 70 litre model, which is the smallest in the range but bigger than my 65 litre 'big' board. It's only a little wider approximately, but my 4'6 is already difficult enough to get my 999 going in marginal conditions in my local messy chop that so a 4'1 is going to be a total PITA (especially with that tail shape?) despite being a bit bigger. If it's gusting more than 15 knots then I'm happy on my 4'10 x 19.5 35 litre sinker which was designed for HA foils and accelerates like a bullet so gets the 899/799 up easily. You can try and argue swing weight with me on that board but I won't be able to hear you over the whooping and hollering. I don't mind falling off that board because getting started is not difficult (easy if windy), so I push my limits.

That just me though. I'd be interested to hear the alternative opinions, why people like it? For context, the only other board that I know of with those dimensions is the Gong Kube, their dedicated freestyle board. I'm not convinced of the shorter is
always better concept. Should we all be riding freestyle boards?

« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 02:58:25 AM by Solent Foiler »
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2022, 09:15:29 AM »
I wouldn't use the word 'dislike', it just doesn't have any features that I'd look for.

That's Apples to Oranges...

If I was looking for the equivalent to your Lethal 4.6, the Naish Hover Wing Foil 60 in their ultra line would
be more suitable as you mentioned. At 4'10 and slightly narrower it would probably be a little better fit than the gong offering.

For the Naish fans this board should be a welcomed additions that was missing from their lineup.
At 185LB+, If I was building a Naish wingboard quiver I would have the Hover Wing Foil Compact LE 80 for my big board and the Hover Wing Foil 50 Ultra for high performance.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 09:25:42 AM by burchas »
in progress...

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2022, 08:09:08 AM »
I wouldn't use the word 'dislike', it just doesn't have any features that I'd look for.

That's Apples to Oranges...

Apples and oranges both make juice but I'm not looking for apple juice. Really as simple as that. :)

You have no idea how much I've debated with myself what I'd swap the Lethal for. The conclusion for me is that it's too good an all-rounder to replace it. I could get something a bit longer and narrower to help the low end but I don't want to sacrifice the windy performance which I want when it's too shallow for the sinker and for freestyle. Personally I can't see myself going much shorter than 4'6. As I've said above, if I want more responsiveness I'd stick on a smaller stab before going so short as to make take off (on HA foils) more awkward, but that's just me!

I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2022, 02:28:42 PM »
Having said the Compact doesn't float my boat, I've just seen the Bullet (no idea when it was released) and this shape is much more to my liking. Narrower and a bit longer (although the 65L Bullet is the same length as the 60L Ultra at 4'10), and way better suited for HA foils if you ride them. I reckon these would be more versatile than the race label it's been given too. Just thought I'd balance my previous comments with some offering a bit more love!
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2022, 03:46:30 PM »
The Bullet makes sense to me. They should make a full range of Bullet sizes. Forget about racing. I think a lot of people would like a fast cruiser that lifts off easily.  It's a strange-looking board. The shape could use some tweaking to make it more aesthetically pleasing. It looks like it was thrown together in a hurry.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

SurfIC

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2022, 06:55:35 AM »
I agree with Solent Foiler that short and stubby is not always the way forward.  If you want to 100% Freestyle or perhaps a heavier rider.

Im 78kg and have had my 75L Naish Ultra for 150+ sessions after using my old  85L for around 100 sessions. I use my boards hard and leave it in my van in no bag. Never clean it and rest it on the rails on tarmac , gravel etc.. Neither board has ever had my issues and my 75L (orange one) is near perfect. Bullet proof and light. The compact Naish doesn't interest me but the Bullet if offered in different sizes could have , although that nose shape puts me off.

I think the Naish Ultra is perfect in every way except for the tail shape to help take offs on smaller and/or Ha foils. Having tried over 10 different boards no other production board comes close to the Ultra for the feeling when on the wave. The relatively thin width and the pinched nose makes it feel really surfy. I'm sure there's better boards for jumping but for me 100% waves/bumps strapless it's a gem!!!!

New tail please Robbie..

*I love the new Gong Lethal shape 2023 but I've always found their boards to be brittle. Gong foils are great and very robust.
78kgs
Board- Naish 4'10 60L
Foils - Gong Curve H, L and M
Wing 4m and 5m Airush
*Prone surf - Flying Fish 4'6 35L

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2022, 01:01:55 PM »
I agree. A new tail for the Ultra would improve it considerably. Something similar to the Kalama E3 would be perfect. I like my Carbon Ultra but it does not get up easily in minimal conditions. Especially with HA foils.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 01:06:47 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2022, 04:04:15 PM »
The rocker looks like a copy of a Tarifa Foil Boards kite racing foil which isn't a bad thing.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2022, 03:11:25 AM »
IMHO Kiterace foil boards usually have a lot of nose up rocker because they ride very long masts ,1m and up.
So when they overfoil the nose falls from very high and hits the water at a very steep angle.
With an 85cm mast ,common in wing, we do not need so much rocker up front.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal