Author Topic: new Axis 1310 PNG foil  (Read 7522 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
new Axis 1310 PNG foil
« on: August 07, 2022, 08:59:01 PM »
Has anyone tried this 1310  PNG foil?  51" span, 2080 sq cms area, 7.3" chord, AR 8.53

Obviously it's an U-2 or an albatross, depending which age you group you belong in.  Paddling with it might hit the foil.  Winging and dock starting? 

Some kid did a 17 min. dock start pump.  There's a video but it's irritating with fast forward and horrible soundtrack.  They shoulda shot it with a drone.  Anyway, it looks interesting but I wonder about the reality.  It is promoted with use with a high mod carbon mast.

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: new Axis 1310 PNG foil
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2022, 07:29:26 PM »
I just got my 1310 and it's a ton of fun. Great sup foiling in small waves but can handle a lot of speed if the waves get bigger. On dock starts, it's a blast. More glide than the 1150. I'm still dialing in what rear works best for me, so far the 475 has been great.
The foil works great on the carbon. The 1310, is doable on a metal mast of you're a light rider. If you're heavy then you're flexing mast and loosing power and glide.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2022, 02:23:33 PM »
I just got my 1310 and it's a ton of fun. Great sup foiling in small waves but can handle a lot of speed if the waves get bigger. On dock starts, it's a blast. More glide than the 1150. I'm still dialing in what rear works best for me, so far the 475 has been great.
The foil works great on the carbon. The 1310, is doable on a metal mast of you're a light rider. If you're heavy then you're flexing mast and loosing power and glide.
I'm 210 and just been out on my new 1310 the last two days, with 75 high mod mast (wow, is it great) and a 460 and a 500 anhedral today.  Paddled it and then 'winged' it.  With my bum shoulder (I go to the mainland next week for surgery) I could only paddle it to just skimming but not lift off.  With the wing, I could flag the wing on lifted and pump it to get the rhythm.  Its rhythm is different from any foil I've used before and I'll echo what you said about the 'ton of fun'  Now I have something to visualize  during my rehab.  Pretty stoked.  Keep me posted on what you discover.  Thanks!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2022, 08:33:53 PM »
Rehab sucks. I've been out of the water for almost a month with the AFIB bullshit. I have to wait a couple more weeks for the next cardioversion, so I'm just going to go for it. Paddling and winging both, and probably OC6. My doc says it's fine as long as I can crawl back out of the water.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2022, 03:09:43 AM »
There were times when my AFIB was so bad that when surfing, I wasn't sure if I'd make it back to shore on overhead days. I had an ablation procedure done on my heart two months ago and it seems to have cured it. Recovery only took a week. It's not for everyone but I'm happy with my results. So far anyway.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 03:15:38 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2022, 07:23:32 AM »
There were times when my AFIB was so bad that when surfing, I wasn't sure if I'd make it back to shore on overhead days. I had an ablation procedure done on my heart two months ago and it seems to have cured it. Recovery only took a week. It's not for everyone but I'm happy with my results. So far anyway.
I'm assuming by 'it' you mean ablation.  I had quite a downwind experience when I had an afib back in '07.  I was 190lbs and 57 at that time, which is usually the time they occur, mid to late 50s.  Unfortunately, like you, I was out in the elements, tho even much farther offshore when it happened.   I had no idea what it was and thought I was getting the flu.  Couldn't even paddle on my knees.  Any exertion was problematic.  So I put my paddle into the air like a sail and with the first rudder board I was ever on, guided myself the 7 miles back to my truck... and then to the ER.  I had no ablation but they did give me the big pad on my chest shock (under anesthesia) I think it's called cardioversion.    That worked for getting me back into rhythm but then they put me on this drug called flecanide, which is a heart rate inhibitor.  Taking that stuff was a drag and made me feel anxious, very anxious.  So despite their protests telling me I would die, I stopped taking it.  But since then, I've been on a steady program of CoQ10, and electrolytes before and after workout.  Magnesium is the big thing to make sure you get.  It's in green leafy vegies but I also supplement calcium mag in the evenings.  At 72, no afibs since and I still do downwinders.  But I do wear a HR monitor to keep tabs.  All the best.  I know the feeling you describe about wondering if I would get in.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2022, 11:17:37 AM »
I'm assuming by 'it' you mean ablation. 

Yes, they don't recommend ablation for all types of AFIB. My episodes happened every week or two. Was on Flecainide for six months and hated the side effects. I also don't want to take any drug for the rest of my life. That's awesome that you have been able to keep yours under control.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 11:24:28 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2022, 09:04:51 AM »
This thread strayed into A-fib stuff, which is important if you 50 or beyond but I figured I'd bring it back to the original post.  Here I'm tightening up the base plate on my 1310 yesterday so you can see what it looks like.  I put a 500 anhedral rear for max lift since I was trying to lift by paddling in the glass out front.  Jeremy put me through some drills and even tried out my rig to show me that it will lift as well as tuning me into foot placement.  A great day in crystal clear water.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 09:10:05 AM by headmount »

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2022, 09:29:41 AM »
Tour boats cruised by us on their way out to Molokini, while we were out doing drills.  Jeremy spotted a nice series of wakes, lifted up and pumped his way out to them.  He's a great 'wake thief' and snagged one, riding all the way back into where we were.  I was blown away.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2022, 11:42:07 AM »
My foil amigo was pumping up on his 1310 in Coyote point San Francisco Bay.  Only blowing 10-15 which is light.  He was on a home made Kalama knock off and weighs 180. 

He said the 1310 takes off in weak chop as easy as catching 2-3 foot waves at our local spot on the coast.  This has got me excited for new toys and downwinding in California. 

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2022, 11:52:09 PM »
This thread strayed into A-fib stuff, which is important if you 50 or beyond but I figured I'd bring it back to the original post.  Here I'm tightening up the base plate on my 1310 yesterday so you can see what it looks like.  I put a 500 anhedral rear for max lift since I was trying to lift by paddling in the glass out front.  Jeremy put me through some drills and even tried out my rig to show me that it will lift as well as tuning me into foot placement.  A great day in crystal clear water.

not a problem at all straying into other topics...i enjoy reading them as a 52 yr old who  may have to deal with all that stuff sooner or later...its good to know that you guys are here with a wealth of information

and the 1300 SOUNDS AWESOME too!

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2022, 01:07:55 AM »

not a problem at all straying into other topics...i enjoy reading them as a 52 yr old who  may have to deal with all that stuff sooner or later...its good to know that you guys are here with a wealth of information

and the 1300 SOUNDS AWESOME too!
Yes.  You know it's wild how all this gets passed on.  I learned to stand up paddle 20 yrs ago at your age.  And the guy who is teaching me paddle-up lift on a foil, Jeremy, is 52 now.  Great communicator and mad skills. 

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2022, 10:41:49 AM »
Here I'm tightening up the base plate on my 1310 yesterday so you can see what it looks like.  I put a 500 anhedral rear for max lift since I was trying to lift by paddling in the glass out front.  Jeremy put me through some drills and even tried out my rig to show me that it will lift as well as tuning me into foot placement.  A great day in crystal clear water.
So what is the verdict on the rears? Was it a good idea to use the 500 anhedral?

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2022, 06:38:51 PM »
Here I'm tightening up the base plate on my 1310 yesterday so you can see what it looks like.  I put a 500 anhedral rear for max lift since I was trying to lift by paddling in the glass out front.  Jeremy put me through some drills and even tried out my rig to show me that it will lift as well as tuning me into foot placement.  A great day in crystal clear water.
So what is the verdict on the rears? Was it a good idea to use the 500 anhedral?
I really didn't get to use it enough before I flew to the mainland for my surgery to know or compare it against others, like the 460.  Surgery went well but looks like I have a few months of rehab so I'll be depending on you guys to send in some feedback.  Right now I lent my 1310 to a hotshot foiler for him to give me as much feedback as possible.

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2022, 11:53:54 PM »
I put a 500 anhedral rear for max lift since I was trying to lift by paddling in the glass out front.  Jeremy put me through some drills and even tried out my rig to show me that it will lift as well as tuning me into foot placement. 
I really didn't get to use it enough before I flew to the mainland for my surgery to know or compare it against others, like the 460.  Surgery went well but looks like I have a few months of rehab so I'll be depending on you guys to send in some feedback.  Right now I lent my 1310 to a hotshot foiler for him to give me as much feedback as possible.
Get well soon!
I have only small Axis rears and have to decide what bigger rear to get flying on flat water and to maximize the pump...
I was thinking about a 475 or 500 progressive
Please tell us what your hotshot friend thinks.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal