Author Topic: New narrower iSUP - is going down by 4" width too much?  (Read 3159 times)

SUP-Lurker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
New narrower iSUP - is going down by 4" width too much?
« on: July 31, 2022, 04:47:41 PM »
I started iSUP last year with a Nixy Monterey G4 https://nixysports.com/collections/paddleboards/products/monterey-touring-inflatable-paddle-board?variant=41101010829502  that is 11'6"x 32". I know how I behave on it. I'm 175# and 5'11, BTW. I only go on lakes and slow rivers and when wind is under 15 km/h. I'm in Wisconsin (NOT great lakes)

Now I have to buy a second iSUP for family use and think I use the Nixy Montery for family use and buy myself the "next" iSUP. Want something narrower/faster. But I'm still a bit shaky.

2 caught my eye and I wonder if going from 32" to 28" width is just too much?
- Option 1: Nixy Manhattan at 12'6"x28" https://nixysports.com/products/manhattan-performance-inflatable-paddle-board  I like it being light weight, great accessories and at $600 a screaming deal. but all reviews i read start by saying that novices over 150# will fall off...
- Option 2: SIC Bullet air 14'x 28" https://sicmaui.com/us_sic_en/bullet-air-14-0-inflatable-105226. It lacks on the accessories, cost $1,000 shipped, BUT it has the dual chamber (like my Monterey). I'm a safety freak, so a dual-chamber would be nice (even if i never heard of anyone loosing air...)

Should I look for a little wider board, like a 30"? I don't really want to keep buying iSUP. My plan is to have this new one, and the Monterey through the end of their useful lives (10 years?)

Considering the Manhattan is reviewed as not very stable for beginners, would the Bullet be much more stable at almost same width? I don't have the option to test or rent a 28"iSUP to see how I like it. So I'm buying strictly from my experience with he Monterey.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 05:26:39 PM by SUP-Lurker »

SUP-Lurker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: New narrower iSUP - is going down by 4" width too much?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2022, 03:59:50 PM »
I bought the Manhattan. It was just too good of a deal with the triple-action pump and the carbon paddle for $600. It took only 2 days to deliver.

I took it out today. but it was a bit choppier than expected and I only sat on a kayak seat and used kayak paddles :-) it was a bit less stable initially, but got better once moving. It kind of feels as expected based on my experience with the 32" Monterey.

Where the water was calmer, the water was full of disgusting plants. And since I counted on falling in when standing, I'll do that in the future near a nicer beach or so.

Speed (when kayaking) was maybe 1-2 kmh faster than my Monterey. I tested tracking without any fin, and when kayaking it actually still tracks relatively well (better than many inflatable kayaks). So this is a really nice board and I look forward to explore standing  8)

Accessories are the same as for my old Monterey, excellent. The triple action pump takes under 5 minutes to 15 psi (but my arms hurt!!). The carbon paddle also is great (for me as non-pro). I actually also bought their electric pump. That takes 10 minutes. But my arms didn't hurt and I can apply sunblock and do other stuff to get ready while it pumps.

devon_sup_surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2022, 03:50:42 PM »
You don't say how old you are- a 21 year old and the leaning towards the narrower option would be ok.

You also don't say how frequently you will use it. 2x a week and your balance will really improve.

In truth- I don't know much about isups. But I do know that width isn't the only factor when it comes to stability. Shape is a huge factor. The shape on an isup is harder to tweak- but as you say you want this board to last a long time (and you don't want to outgrow it!)-

assuming you're in good shape and good health, and plan on regular use so you can progress- I would say 28" would be ok. It certainly would if it was a modern hard board.

On really choppy days- or having not been out much in the winter- you may tale the wider one. But the rest of the time get cracking and enjoy.

SUP-Lurker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2022, 11:15:46 AM »
I'm getting close to 50 and maybe have 1-2 days a week to paddle during the summer.

I practiced standing on a calm swimming beach. I only fell in 5 times, but practiced some beginner turns. Couldn't do the step-back turn without swimming. I think for now this iSUP will do more kayak duty on rivers with current (where I don't stand anyway). It's really fast and tracks very well. Going upstream is so much easier since any added speed above the water speed is noticeable.

I'll use my other 32" iSUP for more standing practice before I do that on the Manhattan again. Or if we just do an iSUP/swimming day, the Manhattan should be perfect when you want to swim.

I just saw they now have a 30"Plus version of the Manhattan https://nixysports.com/products/manhattan-plus-g4-performance-paddle-board-126.  That must be all new since I didn't see that. That would have been better for me. Oh my....

SUP-Lurker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2022, 09:41:35 AM »
Update: I actually returned the 28"Mahattan and got the 30"Mahnattan PLUS. https://nixysports.com/products/manhattan-plus-g4-performance-paddle-board-126

Nixy was very very easy to work with and I just paid the $100 price difference. They took care of shipping etc. I'm definitely a customer for life now.

The Plus (30"wide) works so much better! I went out on a calm lake (under 10 km/h wind speed, no motor boats) and paddled upright for over 3km. Standing up most of the time and didn't fall in! I still have some shaky legs sometimes, but that is just me. I have no way of telling if it is slower, but it definitely is more my style!

I almost exchanged the 28" for another Monterey, but I'm glad I got the Manhattan PLUS to switch it up. for now i use the Monterey for longer tours where i mainly sit and kayak. On longer tours I need the dual-chamber more, and encounter wakes and currents. For just being close to where is tart and goofing around, I take the Manhattan and will not put my kayak seat on.  i learned sitting and paddling with the iSUP paddle actually isn't so bad. So I can wean myself off the seat and kayak paddle.

So this turned out fine (thanks to Nixy's great service). My advice to any non-pro is to get the PLUS version.

And yes, my 30"Manhattan still is skinnier than 99% of the iSUPs I encounter. I really think 28"is really stretching it unless you are really experienced.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal