Author Topic: Another revelation about the Barricuda style Kalama board!  (Read 40328 times)

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Another revelation about the Barricuda style Kalama board!
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2022, 11:41:55 PM »
No one I've seen is riding these things as sinkers. The boards are deep from the first third to the tail, and 7' X 19" boards are in the 120l range. And those are the small ones (though I've seen a few 14" wide ones). I'm sure someone will try a sinker barracuda, but they don't really make sense. From seeing how people are riding these things I think the days of tiny boards and sinkers are numbered. Given the way the boards can be constructed the nose (the front third of the board) probably weighs a pound or two. Overall they're practically weightless. A sort, wide, thin board is mostly skin (heavy), and a long, narrow, deep board is mostly foam. They turn like a lunch tray, foil smoothly, and get up on foil with a breath of wind. There has to be a downside, but I haven't seen it, other than they probably aren't for geezers like me, though I just ordered Mark Raaphorst's latest ideas in a board with similar dimensions (7' X 25" 125l) that he's aiming at geezers like me. I hope to see it before I'm 77. Mark has a hideous waiting list.
That's a really interesting observation and one I hope to explore personally! I've got my finger ready to pull the trigger on 6'6 x 19 Gong Cruzader as soon as they come into stock. The original idea was to use it for learning paddle ups and eventually deflate DW'ing with a paddle but it sounds like the winging potential could be way bigger than I thought. I do love my sinker though!
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

StellaBlu

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2022, 05:50:52 AM »
No one I've seen is riding these things as sinkers. The boards are deep from the first third to the tail, and 7' X 19" boards are in the 120l range. And those are the small ones (though I've seen a few 14" wide ones). I'm sure someone will try a sinker barracuda, but they don't really make sense. From seeing how people are riding these things I think the days of tiny boards and sinkers are numbered. Given the way the boards can be constructed the nose (the front third of the board) probably weighs a pound or two. Overall they're practically weightless. A sort, wide, thin board is mostly skin (heavy), and a long, narrow, deep board is mostly foam. They turn like a lunch tray, foil smoothly, and get up on foil with a breath of wind. There has to be a downside, but I haven't seen it, other than they probably aren't for geezers like me, though I just ordered Mark Raaphorst's latest ideas in a board with similar dimensions (7' X 25" 125l) that he's aiming at geezers like me. I hope to see it before I'm 77. Mark has a hideous waiting list.

We might be talking past eachother. When I brought up sinker I was referring to winging.

Look at the FFB Nugget or yet to be released Armstrong boards (and more on the way). Lower volume, shorter wing boards with barracuda inspired tail features. I agree that there is a market for long and narrow east takeoff boards for downwind and lightwind but I disagree that lower volume sinkers are going away. Guys riding wing freestyle and doing serious wave riding aren’t going to be on a 7’ board. They are just going to be two categories.

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 09:07:44 AM by Solent Foiler »
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2022, 09:13:30 AM »
Just because...
https://youtube.com/watch?v=wc4eLNi0NIs&feature=shares

I was just watching that one on Insta :)
I am guessing that is the 6'x 18"  92l Cruzader,smallest one.
Looks super responsive in pitch, would love to give that one a try with the wing to see how much advantage it gives on getting going and how much playfulness you give up vs a flat,shorter shape.

WHS

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2022, 09:21:44 AM »
Deleted post
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 09:28:12 AM by WHS »

WHS

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2022, 09:30:32 AM »
Kalama inspired custom from Vince Broglio I just received. 7' x 24" 119L. Has fairly steep bevel (chime) for more flat bottom and a chopped square tail for more stability than a V pin-tail. Vince and I had some back and forth on how close to Barricuda it should be. I feel there are too many copies and not enough variations. Not sure when I'll get to try it out but like what we came up with for an easy to use DW board.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2022, 11:19:06 AM »

We might be talking past each other. When I brought up sinker I was referring to winging.

Look at the FFB Nugget or yet-to-be-released Armstrong boards (and more on the way). Lower volume, shorter wing boards with barracuda-inspired tail features. I agree that there is a market for long and narrow east takeoff boards for downwind and light wind but I disagree that lower-volume sinkers are going away. Guys riding wing freestyle and doing serious wave riding aren’t going to be on a 7’ board. They are just going to be two categories.

Actually, I'm buying the long Flying Dutchman board mostly for winging. I would have assumed no one would be doing radical wingsurfing with something 7' long, but no. You're probably familiar with Cynbad--she's jumping on one of the things. It looks insane to me, but she was the one that picked her wing out of the water and accelerated away from me before she even sheeted or really got the wing working. I was standing and pumping, totally stunned.

I was indulging in a bit of hyperbole saying sinkers were going away, of course they aren't. And they make a lot more sense for freestyle. For serious wave riding, maybe not so much. Most of the time it seems that a touchdown with a sinker is game over, with the Kalama boards it isn't. That alone could make it some wave wingers board of choice.

My point is that this isn't an isolated trend, or really the special purpose board I originally thought it had to be. And I do think it has already calmed down the move to tiny boards--which for any but the best wingers was a way of showing status in the skill hierarchy, which I shorten up to dick-measuring.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2022, 11:42:52 AM »
Just because...

Looks super responsive in pitch, would love to give that one a try with the wing to see how much advantage it gives on getting going and how much playfulness you give up vs a flat,shorter shape.

Not sure, but there was another video posted recently which showed the board details at the end and it was the 6'6 x 19 112L. Either way, shows what can be done, although no footage of Malo actually paddling one slowly in non foiling mode, which would be good to see too...
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2022, 02:37:41 PM »
Just because...

Not sure, but there was another video posted recently which showed the board details at the end and it was the 6'6 x 19 112L. Either way, shows what can be done, although no footage of Malo actually paddling one slowly in non foiling mode, which would be good to see too...

If that is the 6.6 then the liveliness of the board is even more impressive.
As for the non foiling paddling...Malo can probably paddle on a  beachball and make it look stable :)

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2022, 05:26:31 PM »
Hi Piros, this thing is sexy. How thin is it please? Also how far is the back of the track to the back of the board please?

Thanks -red

Here's our version from down under , I'm just on 200lb plus haven't stood on a Sup for many years so I went 8-0 x 21 x 120 litres , teamed up with the Axis 1300 this thing is crazy stable. Managed to flat water pump it up in the first 10 mins so pretty impressed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpg7SMx5jfY

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2022, 05:31:35 PM »
I looked at a board Jeremy Riggs was getting ready to try this morning. My memory sucks but I think it was 6'8"X29". I kept staring at it because I would have sworn it was less than 18" wide. These boards are weird.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2022, 09:58:50 PM »

...Malo can probably paddle on a  beachball and make it look stable :)

Agree Malo is super talented but I can really see the lag in his turns compared to his usual style on smaller boards, 7Kg for 112L is REALLY heavy... a lot of swing weight. They've gone overboard on the dimensions in their V1 effort, too narrow, too thick and way too heavy (the biggest surprise). Not cheap either at 1200 Euro ???

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2022, 11:08:07 PM »
I guess it depends on who builds them and what they have in mind. A lot of custom builders leave it up to the buyer to not ding the board. Production, not so much--they need to be strong enough not to get a lot of bad press about their boards being fragile. Yes, 15 pounds for 112L is very heavy (though it kind of depends on where the weight is--there's not much reason for it to be in the last third), but it's not the norm, at least not for custom boards, especially Kalamas. I picked up a huge Kalama board about a week ago. No scale handy but I'd guess less than ten pounds. It felt something like five or six but that's probably impossible. 120L of 1.5 pound foam is about 6#. Figure a pound for tracks and reinforcement, and a half pound for deck reinforcement and you're starting with 7.5 pounds before you glass. I don't think these boards have a lot of glass on them.  I'm sure I could fuck one up in less than a week.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 11:17:14 PM by PonoBill »

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: December 22, 2022, 12:16:41 AM »
Just for context, the Casey Downwind Elite 6'9 which is 111L is 6.7kg, and costs almost double the Cruzader (well in the UK at least)...
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: December 22, 2022, 03:57:35 AM »

...Malo can probably paddle on a  beachball and make it look stable :)

Agree Malo is super talented but I can really see the lag in his turns compared to his usual style on smaller boards

For sure.  Every design is a compromise.  When that becomes untrue, you know you are in a moment.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal