Author Topic: Another revelation about the Barricuda style Kalama board!  (Read 40319 times)

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Another revelation about the Barricuda style Kalama board!
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2022, 03:14:41 PM »

OK so that answers my question about whether there is really any need for side bevels on such a narrow board. I bet those slab rails are more stable than the bevelled ones.
[/quote]

It might answer the question about whether they are NECESSARY.  But it doesn't answer the question of whether they are beneficial.  I tend to think they are, but the only way to know would be an A/B test

Slyde

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2022, 03:09:26 AM »

OK so that answers my question about whether there is really any need for side bevels on such a narrow board. I bet those slab rails are more stable than the bevelled ones.

It might answer the question about whether they are NECESSARY.  But it doesn't answer the question of whether they are beneficial.  I tend to think they are, but the only way to know would be an A/B test
[/quote]
Science schmience.😉

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2022, 05:34:21 AM »
Here is my initial take on bevels.     
       Yes, they are beneficial and better than having a vertically sided board for the following reasons.
1)  As the board initially picks up speed it rises slightly out of the water therefore making the board even more narrow, decreasing hull drag further.
2)  The beveled sides throw water away from board during the pumping/slapping phase of the take off. I further flare out the rear bevel to enhance the the deflection of water away from the tail.
3)  The bevels may help to deflect energy from chop and keep from pushing the board around  versus a vertical wall which would be more directly affected by chop.
4)  In addition, keeping the hard chines going as far forward as possible helps to enhance the release of water from the nose during that pumping/slapping phase. This may help to reduce drag at take off. I do not find the board any more difficult to handle in relation to tracking on take off.
5)  In addition, these narrow boards again are far more stable than they would appear.  Less edge leverage provides greater stabilizing influence of the foil and mast producing a platform that does not roll side to side as much as a wider board. The extra length provides increased pitch stability.

Slyde

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2022, 10:56:35 PM »
OK, yes that makes good sense thanks for that. What conclusions have you come to wrt volume? Im guessing theres no point in being too corky. What do you think?

SUS4Life

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2022, 08:46:43 AM »
Does anyone  have any spec/dims for his board?  Looks like a mini version of sup race board with round front deck and somewhat recess standing area.  Looks like it just a bit wider than his feet. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD7PbV8UFlk
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 09:35:37 AM by SUS4Life »

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2022, 12:35:19 PM »
Does anyone  have any spec/dims for his board?  Looks like a mini version of sup race board with round front deck and somewhat recess standing area.  Looks like it just a bit wider than his feet. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD7PbV8UFlk

I think it is a 7'6 x 14, Kane to go super narrow but it is actually to narrow and too low volume for him from what he said.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2022, 05:57:10 AM »
I think the correct volume is very important. I weigh 150 lbs and my board volume is 114L.  Too much volume and the board will sit too high in the water and become more unstable.  My deck floats just above (1/2" or so) the water's surface when I'm standing on it. Of course, with enough deck recessing this instability could be mitigated while going for extra volume but I do not like the idea of a deck which sheds water slowly.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2022, 09:34:58 AM »
I had a custom board built by Jeff Clark:  7' 8" X 25" X 120 liters. 

This was technically for Big Wave foiling.  My downwind aspiring foil amigos all said "Too wide, you need to go 24", or 22" . . ."

Well here was my first attempt downwinding on the board.  This thing catches Downwind waves, small waves, and big waves.

It also wings really well.  Not the best at pump, but I think that people are going too narrow for the majority of users out there. 

https://youtu.be/vWu3JqogJ1A 

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2022, 09:38:06 AM »

SUS4Life

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2022, 09:55:44 AM »
I have talk to a few people(non-SUPer and SUPer) who is progressing down to narrower board(sub 17-19") and they said it doesn't feel as less stable than 23" board. They said the popup/getting on foil is super easy but for the non-SUPer the learn curve was steep initally. 
I'm currently on a Kalama custom E3 that is 5'11x22.5" and I have to said its really stable and I can get on foil on non breaking wave.  But would like to get on foil even earlier.  But its hard to said if its stable for others since before sup foiling I was SUP surfing on sinker SUP so my SUP skill is pretty decent.  I think if you have SUP skill you can go pretty sub 20 pretty easily.  My next board, I would like it to be around 6'6-7'x 18" so I can get on foil even earlier.

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2022, 01:33:07 PM »
Hey Beasho,

Any chance you could post up some pics of your board.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2022, 09:00:16 AM »
The Wahoo. 

I am not convinced this is the best board for big waves, still a bit too slow for truly big fast waves.  This video shows where the board was very good.  This day the faces were 8 - 12 feet and the board worked well.  But I will continue testing.

For downwinding, in the video above, it was GREAT!

https://youtu.be/q3rqpLl7mPA
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 09:04:27 AM by Beasho »

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2022, 06:27:50 AM »
Thanks Beasho.

Great lookin board.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2022, 05:00:13 AM »
My 20" wide 8 footer is as stable as my 25" wide , 6' 3" downwinder board.  Narrower boards are less effected by undulating sea surface and the righting moment and leverage of foil rig has a greater influence on narrower boards.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2022, 04:21:35 AM »
OK, yes that makes good sense thanks for that. What conclusions have you come to wrt volume? Im guessing theres no point in being too corky. What do you think?
definitely need to match your weight to volume of board. I weigh 150 lbs and ride a 112-114 L board. The lower it sits in water the more stable you will be.  My deck sits about 1/2" above waters surface.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal