Author Topic: Another revelation about the Barricuda style Kalama board!  (Read 40352 times)

Piros

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • www.vonpiros.com
    • Email
Re: Another revelation about the Barricuda style Kalama board!
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2022, 12:56:25 AM »
Here's our version from down under , I'm just on 200lb plus haven't stood on a Sup for many years so I went 8-0 x 21 x 120 litres , teamed up with the Axis 1300 this thing is crazy stable. Managed to flat water pump it up in the first 10 mins so pretty impressed.

Piros, this looks freaking amazing!  Such clean lines.  Offbeat question for you.  Could you / Can you swim it into downwind bumps?

PS:  75 Mast?

Yes for sure and that's the plan to also prone paddle it offshore and do a downwind , crash and restart without the paddle . I've got a pretty good set of prone paddling arms . My prone boards generally range from 19" to 19"-3/4 wide so this at 21 will be fine . Just need the right conditions.

Yes 75 mast & SUPeter that's a great looking board , well done. 
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 01:03:33 AM by Piros »
Von Piros Productions
Land Behind, Fish Below, Stories Ahead

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2022, 02:00:02 AM »
Yes for sure and that's the plan to also prone paddle it offshore and do a downwind , crash and restart without the paddle . I've got a pretty good set of prone paddling arms . My prone boards generally range from 19" to 19"-3/4 wide so this at 21 will be fine . Just need the right conditions.

Yes 75 mast

That is exciting to hear.  I have seen guys getting in on downwind boards "proning" from their knees with paddle gloves but not flat swimming (freestyle).  Is your board flat (base plane) from the tail pin through the foil-box?  How far forward does it stay flat?  Is that a single box or two end to end?

Piros

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • www.vonpiros.com
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2022, 04:10:09 AM »
We are running 16" Chinook boxes so ATM we are mid box apx 28" from tail with another 4" fore & aft . No kneeling or paddles planned just the arms . The board is very flat with little or no rocker.

Von Piros Productions
Land Behind, Fish Below, Stories Ahead

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2022, 04:25:31 AM »
We are running 16" Chinook boxes so ATM we are mid box apx 28" from tail with another 4" fore & aft . No kneeling or paddles planned just the arms . The board is very flat with little or no rocker.

Thank you!  Please let us know how it goes. 

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2022, 06:28:15 PM »
Admin, we have guys here in LA paddling in lying down on these. Saw one practicing at a local mushy break. Have heard if they are doing it in bumps yet but I'll bet they are.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2022, 05:28:12 AM »
Admin, we have guys here in LA paddling in lying down on these. Saw one practicing at a local mushy break. Have heard if they are doing it in bumps yet but I'll bet they are.

Sweet!  I found a few guys getting in on small boards in the Gorge and the one from Maui (below).  All look like a hard, short burst with a quick jump up.  They are basically doing a flatwater pump start from there.  Very cool in itself.  I am wondering if a different approach might be possible for the lesser powered hand start for prone swimming.  Rather than designing a board for stand up paddle power (and the needed stability and bounceability for that purpose) or swim to leg pump starts, coming at it from the prone paddleboard perspective.  A 12 foot prone paddleboard is relatively easy to get into Maliko bumps or South Shore bumps (for instance) and maintain good glides.  It would be unwieldy with a foil under it, though.  The displacement design is so fast compared to planing designs at these "low" speeds that you can glide into bumps with modest arm power.  I wonder how far you could reduce that design for use with a foil.  A gunned out 8 foot full displacement board with a foil?  Possible for belly foiling on downwind bumps?  Foil tech has come so far now with some great looking low drag high lift options.  It seems doable.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CgvUHhkjZ35/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dzZFaj8O1w

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=757723071276892
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 05:58:19 AM by Admin »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2022, 07:34:29 AM »
Those are all pretty old clips. The barracuda is easier from the reports I'm getting. But mainly it's still easier to use a SUP to downwind. The gap from laying down paddling, to getting to your feet is the problem. You need a better bump to get going prone. On the barracuda SUP you can get going on almost any bump that comes along.

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2022, 10:16:49 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CjarC0vI5Lu/

This is my brand new 7'6 x 18 - 86L

This board allows me to take off with aa smaller foil (axis art 999) on tricky conditions such as crossed big ground swell.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2022, 04:41:39 AM »
Terrific FF!  Would you post some images of your board?

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2022, 12:55:01 PM »

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2022, 12:56:56 PM »
I can flat water the axis art 999 easily which I coudn't do with mt 6'0 x 21.5

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2022, 01:47:53 AM »
Looks great!  You are ripping on it!

FoilMad

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2022, 02:23:39 AM »
I can flat water the axis art 999 easily which I coudn't do with mt 6'0 x 21.5
Jeez Greg your prone paddle take offs in the chop are very interesting. It looks effortless with no wave power and it makes me wonder where this will end. Kane knee paddling up onto foil in the flat and the way knee paddling allowed him to unweight the board off the water was amazing. Maybe a 6'6" X 17" with volume the same as your weight or even a little less could easily knee paddle up in soft condition. Things are changing in DW fast.

Slyde

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2022, 10:10:28 AM »
OK so that answers my question about whether there is really any need for side bevels on such a narrow board. I bet those slab rails are more stable than the bevelled ones.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal