Author Topic: Technique: Paddle, paddle, paddle, paddle, Pump...Paddle, paddle, paddle, Pump..  (Read 3659 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
I have been spending time away from California is small, clean New England surf.  Typical conditions are 3 feet @ 7 seconds.

Here I am the California guy going out all the time, often alone, but slowly motivating the locals to get out in the #TooSmallToFoil surf.

Last year I was experimenting with the GoFoil M280 in 1 foot surf.  It gets up amazingly early and easy, but is slow and 'muddy.'  This year I have been using the Axis 1099 with 68 cm Mast and now the 300P (30 cm) tail.

What I have discovered is that I can propel myself with paddle power alone.  The established SUP technique displayed by Derek Hama was Pump, pump, Paddle.  However the flutter introduced by this method may be less efficient than maintaining the foil's constant angle of attack, using the paddle power alone. 

This video shows my approach a couple weeks ago.  I have been working more recently to keep the foil flying high and paddling FAST while minimizing the required pumps.

https://youtu.be/QNn5si0dmac

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
My tracks are starting to resemble PRONE foil loops.  Spaghetti tracks.

The miles per hour are also increasing substantially.  Here 1.8 miles of flight per hour of surf.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 10:25:29 AM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
And again.  I almost didn't go because the waves on the cameras appeared #TooSmallToFoil

I would just catch a wave, get up to speed and think "Let's take this outside."  This technique, propelling with MORE paddle than PUMP, may help to level the playing field and help bring SUP Foil surfing back into vogue.  Less of a battle against the swing weight of the larger SUP boards and more reliance on high speed paddle proficiency.     
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 10:33:44 AM by Beasho »

Foamranger

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Very cool. I’m a prone surfer and winger now but have SUPfoil board on order (from Mark in Maui) and am excited to start supfoiling. I think it will allow me to get into some bigger, less top to bottom waves as well as downwinding. Curious if that is 7’4”? Width and volume? I also like prone foiling small waves and think I need to like you get a shorter mast to clear the bottom (now on 75cm).

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Curious if that is 7’4”? Width and volume?

The board is 6' X 31" wide, 105 Liters.  15 lbs 6 ounces with straps.  3 year old design aka NOT optimized for early takeoff.

I weigh 190 and when I first got the board I couldn't catch any waves, could barely stand on it.  Now I can go out in chop and tiny waves and pretty much take off on anything under 6 feet.  When waves get bigger they get faster.  IF the waves are guaranteed to be 8 feet or more I will take out my 7' 4" SUP foil. 

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
With the 1099, the difference between riding high on the mast and lower is really dramatic.  It takes so little effort to pump it high on the mast and a lot more effort to get it back once you drop lower.  I think you might find that if you focus on staying high, you might not need to paddle and you don't need much pump effort either.  In the video it looks like you're digging out of a hole with the board low to the water.  Pump-Pump-Paddle is working great for me when I need to get out of a hole either low speed or low on the mast, but as soon as I get back to speed and up out of the water its just pumping no paddle for me.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Jon see my original statement:

This video shows my approach a couple weeks ago.  I have been working more recently to keep the foil flying high and paddling FAST while minimizing the required pumps.

I have ~ 25 more sessions on the 1099 since that Video was taken.  Flying high IS Key but when you are near the surface pumping puts you at risk of breaching, or going deeper.

The most efficient flight vehicle, or foil design, would be a flying wing.  BUT flying wings are subject to flutter, control stability, which reduces their efficiency and is why most aircraft have a stabilizer.  Pumping introduces massive changes to angle of attack where paddling can mitigate the necessary swings. 

Pumping is INEFFICIENT from a hydrodynamic standpoint.  Foils are designed for a specific operating envelope meaning optimal speed, angle of attack and stall characteristics.  High Aspect foils are even more specific than the older mid-aspect, highly cambered foils.  Keeping the foil HIGH and paddling is (may be) the best way to maintain constant angle of attack and speed other than gliding on a wave.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 09:19:11 AM by Beasho »

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Interesting, I'll give it a shot and report back

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
There are several ways to pump. High aspect wings are super efficient and actually do not like changes in angle of attack. So if you porpoise pump them, you'll often stall out. If you tap tap tap pump them and don't change the angle of attack much while pumping high on the mast, it's WAY more efficient than using your paddle. The paddle is useful in building speed back up when you've lost it.

So get speed with your paddle. Use the speed to gain height. Tap tap tap pump to keep your speed. Repeat. All 3 steps are needed.

Ask the guys who are doing pump challenges if they can go longer using mainly the paddle or mainly legs. I think you'll find a common answer.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal