Author Topic: Cedrus Aluminum Mast  (Read 9204 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Cedrus Aluminum Mast
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2022, 03:07:37 PM »
I personally don't think yaw stiffness matters much.  There is nothing on the foil down there that resists yawing, so there isn't much way to even apply a high yaw torque on the mast.  If there was a vertical stabilizer in the system it might matter more.  The yaw stiffness just needs to be high enough for the first mode resonance so it doesn't feel wobbly.  For my money, I want roll stiffness

Hmmm, maybe we're turning differently. I put a lot of turning pressure on my back leg, pushing the tail of the board to turn. If I'm turning hard I do it by counter rotation upper body to lower body. Especially true in waves.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2022, 07:51:29 AM »
We focus a lot on mast stiffness, but not necessarily on foil wing stiffness.  Why is that?  Wouldn't a flexy foil wing have just as much (possibly more) of an impact on the system as the mast?  I'd guess that my Takuma wing flexes more than my Cedrus mast.

Am I wrong?  Does it matter?

The 1099 has some flex in in it being so thin out near the tips. Probably no way to avoid this without making it a $1500 wing. Seems like it's more than half of the flex in the system I'm feeling. The RS 1300 by contrast is like an I-beam by comparison but only 5cm shorter. Thicker foil section out near the tips and wider chord.

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2022, 09:16:05 PM »
We focus a lot on mast stiffness, but not necessarily on foil wing stiffness.  Why is that?  Wouldn't a flexy foil wing have just as much (possibly more) of an impact on the system as the mast?  I'd guess that my Takuma wing flexes more than my Cedrus mast.

Am I wrong?  Does it matter?

The 1099 has some flex in in it being so thin out near the tips. Probably no way to avoid this without making it a $1500 wing. Seems like it's more than half of the flex in the system I'm feeling. The RS 1300 by contrast is like an I-beam by comparison but only 5cm shorter. Thicker foil section out near the tips and wider chord.

I made a solid carbon 1099.inspired wing to beat that flex business. Same foil section with a few minor tweeks.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2022, 07:28:45 AM »
VF, where is that build thread?! That's great work man.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2022, 07:32:56 AM »

I made a solid carbon 1099.inspired wing to beat that flex business. Same foil section with a few minor tweeks.

Dude, don't you think this thing deserve a thread on of its own? I would sure like to hear the ride report
flex comparison, weight difference and the process you used to make the foil 8)
in progress...

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2022, 12:53:36 PM »

Dude, don't you think this thing deserve a thread on of its own? I would sure like to hear the ride report
flex comparison, weight difference and the process you used to make the foil 8)  I guess

Here is another picture. It's median thickness is 14mm-about the same as the 1099

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal