Author Topic: 6m Strike Cwc or Slick SLS? or?  (Read 4062 times)

spindrift

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
6m Strike Cwc or Slick SLS? or?
« on: July 21, 2022, 01:09:04 PM »
My largest wing is a 5m Airush that was a gift and has been a forgiving great all around wing. I've had a couple of sessions where a bigger wing would have helped a great deal. I like the the Strike CWC. My friend (140 lbs) has one and loves it; with use down to 9 mph wind. Less known to me is the Duotone Slick SLS, but I like the design with boom, and seems well made. The light weight of these two wings are attractive. The D Lab is a bit out of my price range. I'm 160 to 165 lbs, still in early stages of the foil learning curve. Are there other wings that I should consider in this class? Is a 6m enough for my weight for 10 mph wind?
Life Rewards Movement

StellaBlu

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 6m Strike Cwc or Slick SLS? or?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2022, 01:35:42 PM »
You could probably get away with the 6m, but I would recommend the 7m.  In my opinion the gap/overlap between the 5/6 is too tight and 5/7 is more ideal.  10 mph is really light wind, but you will have a better shot of making it work on the 7m.  I'm 180 lbs and have a 7m CWC and love it down to ~12-13 mph.  It has surprisingly good top end too.

Ive heard good things about the large size Takoon wings too.  They redesigned them this year to reduce the span.

I didn't love the large size Cab Mantis.

IMO a lot of it comes down to wingspan/AR.  I'm tall, and even for me the large span wings get really cumbersome.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2022, 02:47:04 PM »
The seven F-one CWC is kind of huge, but I like it. The six is a more manageable size, with about the same span as the 5M. But my 6M is blown out, and the attempt to fix that with some darts didn't really work. These days I mostly wing my 4.5 D-lab, or a 3.5 if it's nuking, or the 7M when it's light. For a guy with a lot of wings, I seem to have some substantial holes.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2022, 07:27:34 PM »
The Duotone Unit, is purposely designed to be more powerful than the SLS Slick. The Unit being designed for the wave rider, who wants a more powerful wing, to allow for surfing a smaller wing.

The attributes that a wave rider wants, also help a newbie get on foil. It’s also lighter than the SLS in stock configuration.

blockidog

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2022, 04:46:18 AM »
I am a 170-175 # rider and got my 7m CWC last fall - absolute session saver.

I ride Axis and have been using my 1150 again in sea breezes of 8-13mph and foiling 75% of the sessions.

Top end is excellent as well for such a user friendly/low wind wing.

Tried it with a boom and liked it so I was intrigued with the Slick SLS too and would like to try one. 
Current:
 SUPSurf Machine 5'/93L FoilBoard
 Axis HPS1050, ART999, BSC1060, PNG1150     
 Ensis 5.2 & 3.5
 Sunova Speed 8'2"
 PSH 10'0" Hand Glassed Pulled Nose/Swallow Tail
 SIC 12'6" Bullet SCC
Prior:
 Axis 1010
 Coreban 8'0" VIBE
 PSH 8'9" Hull Ripper Carbon
 Hobie 9'4" CM Raw

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2022, 08:37:27 AM »
I have the 7m CWC and absolutely love it from 8 mph up to around 15. I've never tried any other big wings but from the research I've done, I don't see anything that compares to the CWC. I'm just entering the intermediate phase of foiling.  For me, it has plenty of power and speed in light wind. Once up on foil, it flies. My other wings are 5m and 4m WASPS. The 7m has more than doubled my session count. When the wind gets consistently over 12 mph I switch to the 5m. I think the 6m CWC would not provide as much advantage over your 5m as the 7m would. Having that extra meter makes a big difference when getting up on foil in light wind. I'm 6' 170 lbs. I don't find the 7m CWC heavy or cumbersome at all.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 09:12:50 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

spindrift

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2022, 10:34:55 AM »
Thanks all for your input. I decided on the 7m Strike CWC and just purchased it. Ships out on Tuesday. It helped seeing a CWC up close and in action. Comments sealed the decision. DW, I seriously considered the Unit as an option. I remember that you traded out relatively new wings in favor of the Unit. I went with the safer choice of something I've seen and know.

To the CWC fans; are there any tips or upgrades I should consider? Will I need a special adaptor for my pump?
Life Rewards Movement

AGK

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2022, 10:42:56 AM »
Thanks all for your input. I decided on the 7m Strike CWC and just purchased it. Ships out on Tuesday. It helped seeing a CWC u
To the CWC fans; are there any tips or upgrades I should consider? Will I need a special adaptor for my pump?

I'm also a big 7m CWC fan.  It should come with the F1 pump adapter, and the valve seems complex but works really well. .  I find that a harness is really essential for this wing -- it really pulls on your arms going upwind but stays incredibly stable when hooked in.  I also recommend always checking that the dump valve on the strut is closed before pumping/winging (please don't ask how I learned this).  My wind check tip: if the wind can hold the 7m horizontal (about 11-12 mph for me) then there is enough to get on foil fairly easily with an Axis 1050 wing (I think abut 1500cm^2) -- if it starts to droop at the end of the strut, it is more challenging to get up.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2022, 04:54:36 AM »
With the 7m CWC in 11-12 mph wind, I can often get up on foil without any pumping at all. I just sheet in and I'm up. I suppose a lot of that depends on the foil and board you are using.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal