Author Topic: 7m A series Glide  (Read 3899 times)

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
7m A series Glide
« on: July 20, 2022, 10:27:36 PM »
I just threw this up on Seabreeze and thought I'd throw it on here as well. Lots of real skilled folk on both sites that I'd like to see chime in when they get a chance to try one.

So after months of pestering the fine folk at Ocean Rodeo I managed to procure possibly the 1st 7m glide in North America(lol)
First off-the idea of light wind winging has been good in theory but bad in Practice. Usually the larger wings are too big, flappy and heavy. However, I have see the light!- as follows:
The aspect ratio is much lower than the normal glides. I think it may be the same width as the 6m, with more draft. Nice tight canopy, stiff like...well... real stiff Allula feel and feather light. It flagged out in 5knots.
Sadly it did not come with Carbon Handles or a Boom and I had to choke down another wi g with dacron foam handles. I hear the Carbon handles are weeks away.

The session today was between 9&14 knots of wind. There was a swell running in the strait of Juna de Fuca,
and I was hoping to get onto some and glide down the line. With all my other 6m/big wings the problem I had in these conditions, was not enough wind in the wing when flying at it on a wave. Today-No problems, the wing flagged our terrifically. I put it overhead and it didn't try to roll on me, like the regular glides can do.
It was nicely powered in 10-12 knots. When doing handwork it pivotted on a central axis. similar to how a wave kite turns, which made it really easy to control this giant wing lol. In fact, it just felts really balanced and refined. At 14 knots it started pulling pretty good but didn't have heavy...bar pressure(?). It didn't feel like a Mac truck like some other large wings have felt or used
Im a fan of Ocean Rodeo, but i use all sorts of wings and kites etc. I currently have Konrad v4 , Duotone Unit and Neo, Roams & Glides. The Unit gives the glide a good run, but the glides are the flagship of my fleet no question. This 7m exceeded all expectations. I can't wait till our wave season when we often have 10-14 knots wave days. Days that were kind of unusable...untill now. It doesn't work in no wind- I had a 30 minute paddle back in today lol.

I'd personally like to see some kind of handle or grab system right at the interface of the strut and LE so I can manhandle this huge LE in stronger winds. It's in no way lacking, just what I'd like to see(i might have to get fabricating)

Anyways just my experience, thought it deserved its own topic. I think this is a big Win for OR and I can't wait to get on it again! I'll throw some photos up tomorrow.

juandesooka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 7m A series Glide
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2022, 11:25:43 AM »
Thanks for the report. I think that makes sense, as the benefit of lightness most noticably affects light wind performance.  Especially if you are needing to pump and slog to get going or in between gusts. Having a wing half as heavy would be a big advantage. Also a smaller leading edge tube just means less to get in the way.  In contrast, for smaller wings in higher wind, weight is less of a factor.

I generally find light wind flat water to be kinda marginal, fun for a bit but the extra work may not justify the effort.  However, if there's surf combined with that, very different story.  This sounds like a perfect wave weapon for those 10-12kt days.  Above all what I need in that situation is a power switch that works: you have to have solid wind power to get into the waves with speed and more importantly to get out of their way when needed.

I am happy with my 6m a-series, but this 7m sounds one notch better, will be worth a look

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2022, 04:34:52 PM »
Thanks for sharing. Definitely a contender as soon as they release the carbon handles.
Did you manage to get some specs on the wing: Weight, wing span?
in progress...

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2022, 10:00:35 PM »
Thanks for sharing. Definitely a contender as soon as they release the carbon handles.
Did you manage to get some specs on the wing: Weight, wing span?

Got a few details from the Guys at OR.
Asoect Ratio 1.7
wing span 3.4m
center chord 2.4m

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2022, 09:22:30 AM »
Thanks! That's very helpful.

Comparing with

- F-One Strike V2 5.5M - Wing Span 3.5M / 2M Chord
- F-One Strike CWC 7M - Wing Span 4M / 2.3 Chord

With the new carbon handles and knowing how light and stiff those OR A series Glides are
It one would be a serious contender for the 7M CWC.

Our light wind season is over in a month so I'm going to wait for the next season.
Still managing 8-10 with the 5.5M but would be nice to make those light days fun
rather than just managing.

Which foil / mast / board did you use on your 9-12 session?
in progress...

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2022, 09:44:39 AM »

Comparing with

With the new carbon handles and knowing how light and stiff those OR A series Glides are

Our light wind season is over in a month so I'm going to wait for the next season.
Still managing 8-10 with the 5.5M but would be nice to make those light days fun

You said it right there-you can make it work in those light winds but just managing.

Yesterday again I was out in 9-13 knots. Fully powered, with enough wind in the wing to make awkward flying gybes lol. The lightness and stiffness just makes it one of those pieces of gear that amazes a guy/gal.
Haven't tried the F1 7m, but I bet it's great too-they make really high quality gear no doubt. I had some first gen f1's and that model are still fully current & functional wings.
I was on a Project Cedrus 85 and kujira 1440.

I'll see if I can get the total wieght from the OR crew and throw it up.

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2022, 02:03:09 PM »

Comparing with

5.05 pds

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2022, 05:39:29 PM »

Comparing with

5.05 pds

Impressive! That’s the weight of the Strike V2 5.5M.
Hopefully by the time I’m ready to purchase they would have upgraded the leash. Long overdue imo.
in progress...

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2022, 07:27:16 PM »

Comparing with

5.05 pds

Impressive! That’s the weight of the Strike V2 5.5M.
Hopefully by the time I’m ready to purchase they would have upgraded the leash. Long overdue imo.

The leash is upgraded and really quite nice-as good or better than anything I've used. The former leash was... terrible. I'll see if I can throw up a pic.

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2022, 02:40:19 PM »
So I sprang for a 7M Glide and just had my first session.

You might ask: Why would I buy a 7M when I weigh 65kgs? Well I love my 5M Glide and have success winging it with my 1325 in 10.5kts, but I want to be able to ride smaller wings in similar wind or drop my wind range. We have a lot of days in the summer that are 5-11 KT range.

So first session... Wind picked up from 5-11 knts to 9-16knts right as I pulled up to the spot. I left my prone setup intact and threw it on my 60L wing board, so 925 and 72cm mast. Despite the short mast, I didn't have any wingtip drag! I was worried the wind would be too strong for me at my weight, but I had no problems at all. Pretty much a flat water spot, so no wave action. Weeds were a everywhere, but the wing gave me plenty of pull to shake free and pull a few airs. I wanted to test the low end, but ended up on the upper end. I've never been bummed for the wind to pick up ha! So for the first session, I give the wing a 10 out of 10. It really rides much smaller than it is. I nailed all of my toeside tacks and Heineken gybes no problem. Super solid frame, as to be expected. Two light pulls and I was up on the 925. Probably would have rigged the 1125 if I had the 5M out.

On the shore practicing tacks, it did seem to backwind/dive on the tacks into the stronger gusts (beyond suggested range), by I didn't notice it on the water. The wing flags level in barely any wind. Very impressive
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

AGK

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2022, 04:31:18 AM »
Thanks for the review, VB_Foil.  I have a 5m A series Glide that I really like, and also am very happy with my 7m CWC for light winds (for me, an average of 10/11 mph wind with an Axis 1050 is the point where winging is fun on sound chop).

So if anyone can do a comparison of the 7m Glide and the 7 or 8 m CWC for lighter winds, I would really love to see it -- Thanks!

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2022, 06:52:38 PM »
Thanks for the review, VB_Foil.  I have a 5m A series Glide that I really like, and also am very happy with my 7m CWC for light winds (for me, an average of 10/11 mph wind with an Axis 1050 is the point where winging is fun on sound chop).

So if anyone can do a comparison of the 7m Glide and the 7 or 8 m CWC for lighter winds, I would really love to see it -- Thanks!

Yeah Andy! The 7M and 8M CWCs were on my radar before the 7M glide came out.  It would be great to see a comparison review.

I just got to test the low end limit. Rigged the HA 1325 and paddled out into a measly 5mph breeze hoping for a puff (it had been blowing for an hour before I got there around 12mph). The wing was barely staying up from the LE handle sitting on my board. After 10 minutes or so, I felt a bit of breeze in my ear and did a Stinkbug and up to my feet.  The 60L sank to my knees before I was able to pump and few times and get some speed on the board.  To my surprise I was able to get up in what must have been 7-10mph after 6-8 strong pumps. It was messy too, with wing tips dragging and all.  The damn floppy handles are a joke, as I was literally punching the strut with my back hand on the recoil.  I can’t wait for the boom or carbon handles.

Once up I was home free. Comfortably cruising with the ability to do some power carves with wingtips out.  I’m still preferring to do Heineken gybes over standard gybes. It’s amazing how the wing will just come around, full of air and ready to keep trucking in the new tack. Standard gybes in that light air requires some coercion with the free hand and results in a moment of apprehension coupled with arm and leg pumps.  The racing gybe is another better alternative to the standard gybe. Toeside tacks felt amazing, although the carbon handles will make them so much cleaner.

25 minutes later, after running a few slalom laps along a string of crab pots in some stronger 14mph gusts, a botched heelside tack coincided with the dreaded drop of the wind. I was up river and the tide was flooding. Luckily my nice neighbor waved me in to his dock and shared a few cold ones with me as the sun set.   :D

I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal