Author Topic: 3d printing for wing foiling  (Read 8342 times)

gyre

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
3d printing for wing foiling
« on: July 18, 2022, 11:08:37 PM »
I've been uploading some of the 3d printing designs I've been using with wing foiling to Thingiverse recently.  I think quite a few of us have 3d printers so I hope some will find the designs useful.

https://www.thingiverse.com/walter/collections/foiling

I'm also curious as to what others are printing.  With the sport being in the early stages and with so much gear involved, there's a lot of opportunities for 3d printers to be used.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: 3d printing for wing foiling
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2022, 11:30:56 PM »
These are all really cool. Great work man and thanks for sharing.

gyre

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2022, 12:42:57 AM »
These are all really cool. Great work man and thanks for sharing.

Thanks!  I've been reading this forum for years and learned so much from all the posts on here, including yours, so I'm glad to finally have something to share.

Mike dubs

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2022, 06:02:47 AM »
Thats great, im akways amazed how clever some of you guys are.

Tell me about the f one front handle support, looks just like what ive been looking for?

Mike

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2022, 09:01:25 AM »
Good stuff. I make baseplate shims, tail wing shims, repair bits, and parts for foil drives. There's a small group of people that share files and ideas on Whatsapp for what's called Faux Drives. I'm a member. We're all building foil drive clones and similar stuff. I'm making battery boxes, drive mounts, folding propellers, etc.

The files aren't shared on Thingiverse (yet). There's a concern in the group about harming the Foildrive business that all the ideas come from. But if that's of interest I'll see if I can get you included. There's a lot more discussion than just 3D printing, but it's a lively group with an excellent bunch of inventive people.

Here's my rather sad-looking "print farm". I'm reassembling and modifying some of the printers since I boxed most of them up in flat rate boxes to ship back from Maui. I've been ignoring them recently for motorcycle projects. I need to circle back and get them all running.

The board picture is pretty lousy, but it's my faux drive on an axis mast mounted on a hollow Flying Dutchman reject board Mark gave me.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 09:06:04 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2022, 11:11:24 AM »
Mad scientist at work!
 At anchor in Corsica at the moment and most of the big superyachts have e-foils. If the prices can come down there must be a bigger market.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2022, 11:58:59 AM »
I printed a new handle for my Duotone unit to replicate the angled offset front handle on BRM and Takuma RS

So far it works well, but I haven't decided whether it is actually better.  Being able to hold the front of the handle is pretty awesome though

gyre

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2022, 12:59:46 AM »
Thats great, im akways amazed how clever some of you guys are.

Tell me about the f one front handle support, looks just like what ive been looking for?

Mike

It's still a bit of a work in progress, but I find the support makes the wing easier to control when flagging from the front handle.  I've been happy with the way the Strike handles work when using both hands and this addition doesn't change that.  I've experimented with adding rigid supports to other parts of the handles, but those all had tradeoffs that I didn't like (except on my V1 swing wings, where a rigid support keeps the narrower, worn handles from crushing my fingers together, but this hasn't been an issue with the Strike handles).

The support isn't very rigid, but it improves control over roll and pitch.  This makes it easier to keep the wing level and lets you pull a bit of power from the wing while flagging.  I find it also make it easier to fly when you're hooked in and flying the wing with one hand, which I'm still learning to do. 

gyre

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2022, 01:18:25 AM »
Good stuff. I make baseplate shims, tail wing shims, repair bits, and parts for foil drives. There's a small group of people that share files and ideas on Whatsapp for what's called Faux Drives. I'm a member. We're all building foil drive clones and similar stuff. I'm making battery boxes, drive mounts, folding propellers, etc.

The files aren't shared on Thingiverse (yet). There's a concern in the group about harming the Foildrive business that all the ideas come from. But if that's of interest I'll see if I can get you included. There's a lot more discussion than just 3D printing, but it's a lively group with an excellent bunch of inventive people.

Here's my rather sad-looking "print farm". I'm reassembling and modifying some of the printers since I boxed most of them up in flat rate boxes to ship back from Maui. I've been ignoring them recently for motorcycle projects. I need to circle back and get them all running.

The board picture is pretty lousy, but it's my faux drive on an axis mast mounted on a hollow Flying Dutchman reject board Mark gave me.

I'd definitely be interested in joining the FauxDrive group, I've been wondering how I'm going to survive the winter and a FauxDrive sounds like the perfect solution ;D.

Your workshop looks awesome, I'm jealous of all the unused horizontal surfaces :).

randomfoiler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2022, 04:11:33 AM »
I've been uploading some of the 3d printing designs I've been using with wing foiling to Thingiverse recently.  I think quite a few of us have 3d printers so I hope some will find the designs useful.

I'm also curious as to what others are printing.  With the sport being in the early stages and with so much gear involved, there's a lot of opportunities for 3d printers to be used.

Hi, Thank you so much for sharing these. I printed the takuma shims and they are session (life) changing :) The F-one "handle" works really well, too.
Big thank you from Canada.   

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2022, 10:59:31 AM »

Hi, Thank you so much for sharing these. I printed the takuma shims and they are session (life) changing :) The F-one "handle" works really well, too.
What's shims did you find you liked the most?

randomfoiler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2022, 01:10:21 PM »
I only got them printed last week. So far I have tested -1.0, -1,5 and -2.0 on 1440+220
I will stick with the -2.0. After that I will go down to a smaller stab I guess.
Next on my list are 1095 with 178 stab and hopefully soon the 158 (with the +1.0).
Conditions are currently not really great, so I guess that will have to wait for after the summer lull.
I was previously using washers. Having actual shims that fit is a big step up :)

gyre

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2022, 12:24:08 AM »

Awesome, I'm glad it's been useful.  It's also good to hear that I'm not the only one with a Takuma foil, F-one wing, and a 3d printer :).   I just got a 1440 and used it for the very first time today.  I'm still getting used to it, it feels more locked in than I'm used too so I was trying different tails to try to loosen it up.  I tried swapping in a Unifoil race stabilizer chopped down to 14" and the 178 tail.  It felt faster and easier to turn with the Unifoil but still very locked in, the 178 felt looser and it's probably the one I liked the most.  But I'll probably chop the unifoil tail down another inch or two and see how that does.

I like a +0.5 or +1.0 degree shim on my 1095+178.

jmunkki

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2022, 02:20:09 AM »
KD Maui offers free STL files for stabilizer shims here: https://kdfoils.myshopify.com/collections/extras/products/shim-pack

I downloaded the Takuma set, but I haven't used it yet.

I do a lot of 3D-printing. I burned out doing software and needed to do something else for at least a while, so I quit my job in December and started a company. I was initially doing a mix of software consulting (to pay the bills), 3D printing-related projects and of course all the paperwork to get the company going. I wanted to do a Patreon, but there are legal issues related to Patreon if your Finnish (like me), so I decided to just try to sell the models for a reasonable price on MyMinifactory and make Youtube videos to introduce the projects. So, my Winging-related prints are not free, but I hope they aren't too expensive. This summer has been 50% trying to improve my winging (lots of time on the water) and 50% working on the 3D-printing projects and videos.

My first three "products" are all Duotone-related. There's a pump/valve adapter (since Duotone uses their own valve and doesn't include an adapter for generic pumps with their wings) and there are some 3D-printable front/back ends for wing booms. I like the hockey stick boom project because you're essentially recycling one man's garbage into a $200 carbon boom and spending less than $10 on the materials (and $10 for the 3D file unless you feel like making your own). They haven't sold much at all, so definitely not a viable business, but I guess there aren't that many Duotone wingers with 3D printers who are also aware of my work quite yet.

The next project in my release queue is pretty close to ready. It's a screwdriver handle that is specifically designed for hydrofoil assembly/disassembly, so it's not brand specific and should be useful to all types of foiling (and probably even some applications outside of foiling). I made the first prototypes about a year ago and I have had a couple of friends testing them. You need some screws and of course tool bits from the hardware store in addition to the 3D printed part. It could definitely be also made (better) with more traditional manufacturing, but the 3D printed versions work great too.

I wouldn't mind working with foil companies to allow them to ship their foils with my "GyroKey". The L-shaped Torx driver that I got with my Takuma Helium had very loose-fitting Torx heads and it even got a little bit rusty only after a few weeks of use, so I just decided to make something better myself. It would be nice if foils came with really good assembly tools. I still have the "legendary" F2 footstrap screwdriver and it still works after decades of use installing footstraps. Starboard had a  "Tiki Tool" for footstraps, but I think they discontinued that pretty quickly (mine just broke all too easily for some reason).

StellaBlu

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2022, 07:13:47 AM »

What's shims did you find you liked the most?

I was using a +1 (adding lift) with my 1440 and 1095 (using a KD13.5 on both).  Just went to a +0.5 (adding lift) and while its a little faster, I might like the added grip of the +1 more - jury is still out.  FWIW, I've also shortened my fuse about 0.75" which I find carves nicer.  In theory the shorter fuse should also impact lift, but I don't think I noticed that aspect very much.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal