Author Topic: GoPro 8 9 or 10?  (Read 1364 times)

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
GoPro 8 9 or 10?
« on: July 14, 2022, 09:27:31 AM »
So I just deposited my 7 in Davy Jones locker. Seems like the newer models have some nice advances with stabilization and battery.
For use with a mouth mount what advice can any of you fellow video’ers send my way?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 09:30:13 AM by surfinJ »

StellaBlu

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: GoPro 8 9 or 10?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2022, 10:06:15 AM »
I currently have the Hero 8 and the Max (360).  Out of the 8, 9, 10 I would recommend the 10 and would add the lens Mod for the additional stabilization and orientation correction.  The lens mod is a really good upgrade and is compatible on the 9 and 10.  The 8 is not compatible with the lens mod.  Right now the 9 and 10 are the same price with the 1 year subscription, so theres no reason not to go to the 10 vs the 9.

I mainly wing, and love the Max for my purposes.  You don't need to worry about positioning the camera as much and can orient the image in post production.  Its more time consuming but its not overly complicated (Im not particularly savvy with these things and I figured it out easily) and it opens up a ton of optionality in terms of mounting, and image framing that you dont have on the Hero cameras.  That said, if you are only going to use a bite mount, its not worth it.  If you are going to experiment with line mounts, harness mounts and helmet mounts I think its the best option.  The downsides are the aformentioned time consuming editing (although going through reams of GoPro footage is time consuming and annoying whichever camera you are using), the larger size, and the inability to add a float to it (Ive already lost one).

Note that new cameras including a Hero 11, a new 360 camera, and a smaller form camera are expected in September.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: GoPro 8 9 or 10?
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2022, 07:21:48 PM »
If you wing only go 10 or Max as was said. Horizon lock is really required now.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal