Author Topic: The Gorge  (Read 27862 times)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: The Gorge
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2022, 08:56:32 PM »
Arlington was epic again. Mark and I were so tired, we just watched Jacky ride. We found some energy late, but barely. We’ve ridden 13 out of 14 days here.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2022, 12:57:34 AM »
Fantastic!  Epic Gorge adventures.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2022, 07:37:10 AM »
I understand the feeling, and not just because of my minor heart trouble. I have stared out the window on more than a few occasions and thought "oh fuck, it's nuking again". It can be a bit overwhelming even when you're thoroughly committed to a sport you love.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

ericmichaels

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2022, 01:17:17 PM »
I am not that active here but catching up some recently, I am sensing the Gorge has changed a bit the past couple of years.

I am a traditional SUP Downwinder....you know with just a paddle....no wings or foils. Crazy, right?

I have had my annual summer trips to the Gorge cancelled the past 2 years. Was planning to go back in August.
It seems like maybe everything there has switched to wings and foils? No Big Winds DW shuttle service. Not sure how I will get up to Viento.

Is this the case? Is old school SUP downwinding not really a thing there any longer? Is it still worth coming or should I just be planning to take foil and wing and kite lessons instead of doing Viento runs?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2022, 07:56:48 PM »
There isn't a Big Winds shuttle, but there are still plenty of people doing SUP downwinders. Depending on what happens with my Atrial Fibrillation I might be back on a SUP board soon myself. I think I can manage the energy output required better than I can on a wing foil.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

laszlo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2022, 08:46:23 PM »
It really does seem that downwind SUP is over in the Gorge. I live across from Mitchell Point, roughly half way in a Viento run, and watch the traffic in the river from my deck. There are still quite a few boats going downwind, surf skis, OC-1's and the like, but I have yet to see any SUPs this season. Look at the inventory at Big Winds; 1 or 2 raceboards or downwind boards at most, every other SUP is an inflatable! Five years ago they had 20 downwind boards for sale. However there are many more people doing upwind-downwind runs, of course all of them are on foils!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 08:51:25 PM by laszlo »

ericmichaels

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2022, 07:34:06 AM »
There isn't a Big Winds shuttle, but there are still plenty of people doing SUP downwinders. Depending on what happens with my Atrial Fibrillation I might be back on a SUP board soon myself. I think I can manage the energy output required better than I can on a wing foil.

But if you aren't a local and are just by yourself on vacation, how do you manage the logistics of getting to Viento with your board? Last I was out there....no uber and they aren't taking boards anyway.

ericmichaels

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2022, 07:45:51 AM »
It really does seem that downwind SUP is over in the Gorge. I live across from Mitchell Point, roughly half way in a Viento run, and watch the traffic in the river from my deck. There are still quite a few boats going downwind, surf skis, OC-1's and the like, but I have yet to see any SUPs this season. Look at the inventory at Big Winds; 1 or 2 raceboards or downwind boards at most, every other SUP is an inflatable! Five years ago they had 20 downwind boards for sale. However there are many more people doing upwind-downwind runs, of course all of them are on foils!

Wow!. Zero SUP the whole season? That is even worse than I thought and it makes me very sad. Didn't they just have the Downwind Champs race last weekend? I used to come during the July race week. Not a racer but I did about 10 runs over the week...it was the highlight of my year.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2022, 08:37:57 AM »
It's not zero, I've seen a fair number in the river, but there isn't a black and white SIC 14' board on every car, like there used to be. But I still see plenty of race/downwind boards on cars in HR. The simple reason is that foiling is crazy fun, and even fakers like me don't need a shuttle to do a downwinder. My craziest day for Viento runs was three when the Downwind Champs mega-shuttles were running, I did five upwind/downwinders one perfect day last year with my foil.

The easiest way to shuttle is to find someone going to Viento at the event center and ask for a lift for you and your gear. It doesn't matter if they're boat guys or SUP. Most have some room. If that doesn't work do what Thatspec does and drive to Viento, do your run, leave your gear at the EC (no one will bother it) walk to the highway onramp, and thumb a ride to Viento. He told me it's never taken more than a few minutes to get a ride and he's been doing it for years.

There might be fewer people doing it, but that means it will be easier to find someone open to sharing.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 08:40:03 AM by PonoBill »

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2022, 07:25:55 PM »
There are still some folks doing SUP Viento runs, saw one on a run last Friday. It's such a brief moment in time to see them. The Gorge Paddle Challenge is this weekend so there will likely be plenty if there's wind. You should also be fine in August, there are many paddlers here dedicated to downwind in all types of craft. Probably the best post covid strategy is to either meet other downwind oriented types AT Viento or at the Event Site as they come in. I've had folks drive me back to Viento who were just on there way into town and I've returned the favor. No way you'll get stranded :)

bham_downwind

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2022, 06:21:19 PM »
There are still some folks doing SUP Viento runs, saw one on a run last Friday. It's such a brief moment in time to see them. The Gorge Paddle Challenge is this weekend so there will likely be plenty if there's wind. You should also be fine in August, there are many paddlers here dedicated to downwind in all types of craft. Probably the best post covid strategy is to either meet other downwind oriented types AT Viento or at the Event Site as they come in. I've had folks drive me back to Viento who were just on there way into town and I've returned the favor. No way you'll get stranded :)

You might also check with these folks - they're locals doing downwinders all of the time that you may be able to join...
https://www.facebook.com/groups/HoodRiverOutrigger

ericmichaels

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2022, 10:01:12 AM »
I did five upwind/downwinders one perfect day last year with my foil.

So this is with a wing? You can go all the way upwind to the viento area (several miles?)

I know little about winging. It is not a thing by me.

ericmichaels

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2022, 10:12:50 AM »
duplicate

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2022, 02:42:47 PM »
I did five upwind/downwinders one perfect day last year with my foil.

So this is with a wing? You can go all the way upwind to the viento area (several miles?)

I know little about winging. It is not a thing by me.

Yes, with a wing. I hook in to my harness and do long reaches to Viento--it's fairly low effort and quick. Then turn around and downwind back to about the EC. It's eight miles, but with a foil it's 30 to 40 minutes each way. Sometimes I cheat and just go as far as the upper hatchery or swell city before I turn around--especially if the current is wicked at Mitchell point. No point in fighting that.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2022, 05:12:16 AM »
It looked so good yesterday in the central Gorge.  Grade A spectating at the Hatchery and Swell city.  Classic summer Gorge conditions. I am amazed by the winging skills and how quickly that has advanced.  Full aerial show at the point with a lot of great visiting riders in town.  Watersport playground mode.  Windsurf, Windfoil, Wings, kite, kite-foil, SUPfoil, OC's, Surfskis. 

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard