Author Topic: Changing to F-One foils? Would love some advice!  (Read 9744 times)

B-Walnut

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Changing to F-One foils? Would love some advice!
« on: July 02, 2022, 08:19:58 AM »
I originally started winging with the sole focus on getting to a point where I could SUP foil but.... I just had a magic moment with my first open ocean winging experience and it changed my attitude towards the wing pretty dramatically. I still want to SUP foil, but I now see the light in terms of how much fun 5' ocean swell can be when using a wing as a tow rope.

My kit is relatively focused on getting me to SUP so I'm expecting a new wing board in the future, but I'd like to get another foil or two before getting a smaller board. At this point, I'm eyeing a switch from Takuma to F-One. I do really like my Helium kujira, but having seen first hand the carnage of better foilers getting sliced open by their foils turns me away. F-One is attractive because reviews/stats I seem to come across keep showing a slight edge on the phantom foils over the kujira foils, at least from what I've seen. I also like the possibility of trying some of the other F-One foils like the big gravity for paddling or the seven seas if my winging progressed in that direction.

My big question is, has anyone tried the FCT products yet? The price point is great, the interchangability is great, and from reviews I hear the build quality is great. I'd love to hear any first hand accounts reviews on the phantom and possibly gravity. Also, if you can speak to any direct comparisons of the kujira helium vs the phantom that would be welcome!

My stats:
Approximately 25 days experience foiling. Average wind 20 knots. Not uncommon to be out in gusts up to 30 knots.
Age 38
195lbs + gear
Kalama E3 5'10" 123l board
Kujira Helium 1500 foil
Black Project Surge Paddle
Duotone Slick 2.5, 3.5, 4.5 wings.

My goals:
SUP foiling crap waves.
Winging in river and ocean swell.
I prefer a pretty aggressive/carve approach to my riding when winging.
Currently zero interest in jumping, I do that plenty with my kite and surfboard.

Thanks!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Changing to F-One foils? Would love some advice!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2022, 08:29:07 AM »
F-One foils are great I hear. But let us save you some money.

Buy a Takuma wing and some sandpaper and a cheap grinder. Take the tips off and detune the edges. They work fine and are safe. I rode Hdip's (formerly Vancouver Foiler's I think) and it rides great tipless.

Also (knock wood) I've never contacted my foil off shore or while winging ever actually. (Only in the surf for me on taco falls.) It can happen but it's far less common than people think. Detune for safety but I'd not avoid a brand because of it. I'd love to hear others on this of course and don't want to hijack. Maybe we take this to the Takuma thread?

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2022, 08:51:34 AM »
For your weight, I'd stay away from the F1. I have a buddy that's a team rider and about 150lbs, he's beaking stuff all the time and one of the schools I work with uses F1 foils, the students always have a longer time learning and the big guys suffer compared to those on my Axis stuff. Ask the big guys in your area what they use and you'll find what will work best for you.

B-Walnut

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2022, 09:53:05 AM »
@surfcowboy
The catch with the kujira vs the phantom fct is that the phantom is actually 1/2 the cost. So, if I was 100% confident in staying with takuma because across the board folks said "yes, this is the one" then it would make sense. However, if I sell my Helium 1500 I could essentially end up with a 1280, 1480, 1680 phantom for the same price as a 1210 and 1500 kujira. Make sense? I'm definitely wanting to progress and have more options, seems to make sense to change brands now, if I'm going to do so...

@flkiter
What are they breaking? There's another guy on here, Clay, does the Clay Island videos. He's at 200lbs and keeps saying how much he loves the phantom gear and appreciates that it's robustly built for big guys. That's what initially drew me towards those foils in the first place.

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2022, 11:59:21 AM »
If you compare aluminum to aluminum I bet the takuma and F-one stuff is similar priced no? I just priced one on mackite and it came out to $1268.

Aluminum kujira setup is $1349. So pretty similar. Since you already have the mast, you can stay within the kujira system and just add new wings.

I hear you on the safety issue. It seems that most people end up chopping off the wingtips, or the foil blows over and the wingtip breaks off anyway.

I love trying new setups all the time, but if you haven't ridden the F-One stuff and know you like it, it seems to me like you might be moving laterally instead of upwards.

B-Walnut

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2022, 06:41:08 PM »
If you compare aluminum to aluminum I bet the takuma and F-one stuff is similar priced no? I just priced one on mackite and it came out to $1268.

Aluminum kujira setup is $1349. So pretty similar. Since you already have the mast, you can stay within the kujira system and just add new wings.

I hear you on the safety issue. It seems that most people end up chopping off the wingtips, or the foil blows over and the wingtip breaks off anyway.

I love trying new setups all the time, but if you haven't ridden the F-One stuff and know you like it, it seems to me like you might be moving laterally instead of upwards.

Hmm, I'm not sure what kujira stuff you're thinking of? As far as I know all of the kujira wings are full carbon other than the helium wings. The downside of the heliums is that you have to buy them as entire sets that include mast, fuselage, stabilizer and it only comes in two sizes.

I think I struggle with the idea of paying for a premium wing, then chopping it up and grinding it down haha.

In your opinion, what would be an upwards move?

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2022, 09:07:00 PM »
The kujira foil wings are all carbon yes. But the mast and fuselage you have with the helium is compatible with the other foils.

https://foilshop.com/product/takuma-kujira-1095-wing-set/ Price range is due to front wing only, or front and rear wing.

So you can just buy a different front wing. 1095, being the newest of the new for kujira line.

Takuma has an aluminum fuse and mast OR a carbon one piece fuse and mast. That's where most of the price difference comes down to when comparing foils. Aluminum masts are cheap. Carbon masts are expensive, or VERY expensive depending which one you get.

https://www.mackiteboarding.com/takuma-kujira-980-foil/ The prices range is due to the mast.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 09:11:58 PM by Hdip »

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2022, 09:10:03 PM »
I can't speak about the FCT as I only have the carbon. I can say from experience that F-One foils are on par or
better with all the other brands I own, Axis, GoFoil, SlingShot and SAB Foil to be exact on the durability aspect.

Foiling wise, I had all my a-ah moments on the F-one, It just made things click for me much easier than any
other system. The only other foil I come back to from time to time is the GoFoil RS 1150, but I expect
it to change as soon as I have my F-One Seven Seas 1200.

For your size you could easily start with the Phantom 1480 and stay with it without getting bored.
Super capable and versatile Front wing. Get the 250 tail as well and it will be even more versatile.

I bought the Project Cedrus mast to switch between all my systems so I can't speak about their masts.
Cedrus worth the investment.

I can't say bad things about any of these foils above I just like the F-one better. It is very predictable no matter
how hard I push it.

in progress...

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2022, 09:13:41 PM »
I've seen the rear wing break from a jump and I've seen the fuse break off the mast. Plus I hate how they turn in jibes but that's a personal thing. It seems like you're sold on F1 tho so you should go for it. Not all foils work for everyone hence why they're so many out there

B-Walnut

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2022, 09:39:02 PM »
The kujira foil wings are all carbon yes. But the mast and fuselage you have with the helium is compatible with the other foils.

https://foilshop.com/product/takuma-kujira-1095-wing-set/ Price range is due to front wing only, or front and rear wing.

So you can just buy a different front wing. 1095, being the newest of the new for kujira line.

Takuma has an aluminum fuse and mast OR a carbon one piece fuse and mast. That's where most of the price difference comes down to when comparing foils. Aluminum masts are cheap. Carbon masts are expensive, or VERY expensive depending which one you get.

https://www.mackiteboarding.com/takuma-kujira-980-foil/ The prices range is due to the mast.

The 1210 kujira front wing is $850 and the phantom fct 1280 front wing is $430. I'm not talking about the mast cost.

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2022, 09:54:45 PM »
Ah, got it, my bad. I was referring to entire systems. That's where I got off on a different tangent from you.

B-Walnut

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2022, 09:58:01 PM »
I can't speak about the FCT as I only have the carbon. I can say from experience that F-One foils are on par or
better with all the other brands I own, Axis, GoFoil, SlingShot and SAB Foil to be exact on the durability aspect.

Foiling wise, I had all my a-ah moments on the F-one, It just made things click for me much easier than any
other system. The only other foil I come back to from time to time is the GoFoil RS 1150, but I expect
it to change as soon as I have my F-One Seven Seas 1200.

For your size you could easily start with the Phantom 1480 and stay with it without getting bored.
Super capable and versatile Front wing. Get the 250 tail as well and it will be even more versatile.

I bought the Project Cedrus mast to switch between all my systems so I can't speak about their masts.
Cedrus worth the investment.

I can't say bad things about any of these foils above I just like the F-one better. It is very predictable no matter
how hard I push it.

Thanks for the feedback on the phantom! Do you both paddle and wing on it?

Cedrus mast sounds like a real winner. I didn't even know that existed and it sounds definitely worth checking out. I do like my kujira helium 1500, so I'd be tempted to pick up the phantom fct 1280 and the cedrus mast. When it's blowing 20-30 knots my 2.5 vs 3.5 slick wing doesn't seem to matter. I'd like to be getting on a smaller front wing to handle that much wind. When it breaks 30 knots I have to get off the water and switch to kiting.

B-Walnut

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2022, 10:04:13 PM »
Ah, got it, my bad. I was referring to entire systems. That's where I got off on a different tangent from you.

No worries, there's SO MANY foil options out there that I spend just as much time scratching my head learning about new options as I do trying to figure out and understand my current options. The phantom in FCT is really attractive to me because of that price point which is why I'm trying to get more feedback on it.

For example, the kujira 1440 with aluminum mast is $1779. The Phantom FCT aluminum mast with 1280, 1480, and 1680 is $2126! So the bang for your buck is definitely with F-One on that new tech. I do, typically, prefer my gear to be 1 brand so I'm not trying to relearn to much when I change sizes (all my kites are the same model, all my wings the same model, all my climbing gear is one brand, etc.) So, with F-One having such a large range of affordable options now... it really has me intrigued.

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2022, 11:15:01 PM »
I wish I could get a review of these new reedin foils. Kdmaui designed front and rear wings. Very good price point.

https://reedin.com/pages/showcase-flightattendant-2

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2022, 12:24:22 PM »
I've seen the rear wing break from a jump and I've seen the fuse break off the mast. Plus I hate how they turn in jibes but that's a personal thing. It seems like you're sold on F1 tho so you should go for it. Not all foils work for everyone hence why they're so many out there

It seems you are sold to another brand.
We have 4 f-one carbon Phantoms and they are great in every way, turn in jibes very nicely and never had any damage.
And we also have kujira'and Axis foils....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal