Author Topic: Latest thinking on preventing corrosion  (Read 5796 times)

kwhilden

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Sustainable Surf
    • Email
Latest thinking on preventing corrosion
« on: June 29, 2022, 06:44:22 PM »
I'm about to start my foiling career, and want to hear the best practices on preventing corrosion. 

I'm using a Starboard foil system, which has a lot of stainless steel bolts, an aluminum fuselage, and carbon foils. 
https://starboardfoils.com/pages/2022-wing-and-wave-foils-overview

It would be a pain to disassemble and rinse every bolt after every saltwater session.  There are a lot of bolts.

I'm keen to figure out which bolts I have to rinse every time, and which bolts can be left for an extended period with proper application of a anti-corrosion substance.

Without thinking too much, I bought some marine grease off Amazon. Is this any good, or is there a better product?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002V3KD2O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks all!
Sustainable Surf

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Latest thinking on preventing corrosion
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2022, 07:14:53 PM »
Grease all the connections.  AFter a while you will figure out which connections are more convenient to leave connected.  Disassemble the entire rig at least once a season to reapply grease.  The connections that you routinely use, apply grease as needed.  No need to rinse.  If dirty, just wipe off with a rag.  Try to avoid sand from getting into bolt threads.  The whole point of grease is to prevent connections from seizing.  Replace any bolts where the tool end looses integrity (i.e.e stripped).
For aluminum (non painted), I like to apply a buffing compound.  For scrapes on aluminum, I use a file to smooth.
Carbon does not like heat, so make sure it is convered while stored in a vehicle.
That marine grease looks fine.  I have used white bicycle grease with success (I like the smell of it).
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 07:18:05 PM by sflinux »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2022, 08:10:18 PM »
Don't overthink it.

Use any of the methods discussed on here and it's fine. You really have to leave it forever to have issues. I take my stuff apart maybe every 3 months. Maybe.

Pretty sure there are long threads on here about this.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2022, 10:04:05 PM »
Tefgel. I have a 2 ounce container that I've owned for probably ten years. It's still full though I use it all the time. I apply it with a mascara brush. A tiny amount lasts for months or even years. Stainless wants to gall when screwed into stainless or aluminum. Tefgel eliminates that. Get TefGel and stop paying attention to the issue entirely.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 10:05:50 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2022, 10:27:02 PM »
I have been working on boats all my life and there is nothing like Tefgel. Other things like grease will work but bolts can vibrate loose with grease. There used to be other products but they don't exist anymore.
 For the price you are paying for your foil gear it's not worth risking a bolt getting corroded and stuck or vibrating loose because it was greased.
 I have pulled things apart years later that were bolted in with Tefgel that look like they were bolted down yesterday.

Wingfoil2001

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2022, 12:37:07 AM »
I grease all my connections, not just the screws. Vaseline works great and stops corrosion on not just the screw threads but the whole connection area. Yes, you may occasionally need to tighten the screws but that’s only once every few sessions. I rarely disassemble my foil, just a quick external rinse when I get home. Never had any corrosion.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2022, 03:51:36 AM »
Tefgel as said above, formulated to break electrical current i think.
It is electrolysis that kills the alu.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2022, 03:53:15 AM »
Don't waste your time with grease or other home remedies. Tef-Gel is the only way to go.

Put it everywhere that metal touches metal. Take the foil apart every six months just to check on it. Re-coat where needed.

Unlike grease, Tef-Gel is extremely sticky which helps prevent screws from coming loose. Two ounces is a lifetime supply.

https://www.amazon.com/Tef-Gel-TG-02-Anti-seize-Anyi-gull-Lubricant/dp/B00CEF65T4?pd_rd_w=lNaPA&content-id=amzn1.sym.bc622850-a717-4d94-96c3-7cc183488298&pf_rd_p=bc622850-a717-4d94-96c3-7cc183488298&pf_rd_r=CAP7QHT1YAMW86EYXKBX&pd_rd_wg=XoGQt&pd_rd_r=79e6a3f3-d945-44ad-af73-64e664e819b0&pd_rd_i=B00CEF65T4&psc=1&ref_=pd_bap_d_rp_16_t

« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 04:26:58 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

kwhilden

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Sustainable Surf
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2022, 06:40:41 AM »
Thanks all.  I appreciate your time to respond.

One question... I will want to regularly change wings on my foil, and it will be easier to remove the wings for transport and storage.

So on those bolts, should I just use grease?  It sounds like tef-gel is quite sticky and not suited for repeated disassembly?
Sustainable Surf

unclesaltdog

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2022, 07:04:05 AM »
Thanks all.  I appreciate your time to respond.

One question... I will want to regularly change wings on my foil, and it will be easier to remove the wings for transport and storage.

So on those bolts, should I just use grease?  It sounds like tef-gel is quite sticky and not suited for repeated disassembly?

Nuh stick (pardon the pun) with tefgel, just don't put much on, you only need a little bit.
Try not to drop the bolts in sand and you will be fine.
I'm swapping wings and fuses all the time.

The people that complain about tefgel are usually the ones that have spent a fortune on another brand of carbon foil and are trying to justify their purchase, it's really not that bad if you go easy.
Pono Bill's idea of using a mascara brush sounds like a good idea actually, I might try that one.

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2022, 07:35:01 AM »
It should come with one.

kwhilden

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Sustainable Surf
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2022, 11:01:58 AM »
I just bought a 4oz tub of tef-gel on Amazon because it will be delivered quickly.  So if anyone needs a resupply, let me know.
Sustainable Surf

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2022, 11:20:43 AM »
Tefgel. I have a 2 ounce container that I've owned for probably ten years. It's still full though I use it all the time. I apply it with a mascara brush. A tiny amount lasts for months or even years. Stainless wants to gall when screwed into stainless or aluminum. Tefgel eliminates that. Get TefGel and stop paying attention to the issue entirely.

the mascara brush is genius Bill.  I have used tefgel since I started foiling 3 years ago and it's great.  I am a little messy with the syringe applicator and sometimes push too much, so the mascara brush I have to try.  Squeeze some onto cardboard and use the brush.
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2022, 12:00:29 PM »
@clay once told me that he thinks TefGel is horrible for the ocean - essentially putting PTFE out into the world.    I gotta say though, it works wonderfully.  Clay has an alternative that he claims works just as well - maybe you can chime in?

Honestly, I'm not savvy enough to understand how the PTFE in TefGel is or isn't a serious issue, anyone here know more?  I did enough research to learn more about Perfluorinated Chemicals (PFCs) and PTFE is one of them.    These chemicals never break down and are increasing in prevalence in the world - essentially are an environmental disaster.  I care a lot about our oceans and want to do the right thing, but not always clear what that is.

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2022, 12:40:16 PM »
Tefgel is great.
Only other nice, clean, long lasting option is wax. I use warm water board wax, wetsuit zipper wax/lube is ok too. Other greases are too messy in my opinion.
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal